MVC baseball power shift?

Discuss MVC baseball here

Re: MVC baseball power shift?

Postby WSUbballer » June 12th, 2011, 5:54 pm

When was the last time a Valley team not named WSU made it out of a regional? 8 years ago?

You don't know what's behind Dallas Baptist. That is obvious. It is very difficult for a team to get at-large bids as an independent. There's no chance at a play-in to the NCAA's with the conference tournaments.

They blow the Valley out of the water most days. Their stadium is pretty nice. Their seating capacity fits them perfectly and they blow most of the Valley's other programs out of the water.

Who right now is dominating the Valley that one could not understand Dallas Baptist coming here and ripping on some? Name the team.
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » June 12th, 2011, 6:26 pm

Yeah, I think it was us in 2003 when we beat one of the CWS favorites in a regional in Nebraska, then knocked out the Big Ten champs in Ohio State who had Nick Swisher on their team if my memory serves me correctly. Dallas Baptist won a weak regional by beating Orel Roberts and then got beat by an average Cal team. I think they are a good little squad that'll be tough but they aren't going to win the league.

Also you have to account for the fact that their addition is going to improve MVC schools recruitment of Dallas. They'll maybe lose out on some ballplayers that they were previously getting.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUbballer » June 12th, 2011, 7:54 pm

You conveniently left out the fact that they beat Oklahoma, and host and last year CWS participant TCU, before dispatching of a pretty decent ORU team.

Is it because their name doesn't sound sexy enough? Is that why you have a chip against them?

You admitted that you had little to no clue about Dallas Baptist and their history as a baseball program. You admitted that you don't follow college baseball that much. And with that said, you think the Valley is too good for Dallas Baptist? Wow. :Bam:

Yah, maybe a stream of players will leave a program that has gone to more NCAA Tournaments than MSU and CU combined in the last 7 years and a team that is 2 wins away from Omaha this year for schools that have nice, shiny empty stadiums that wreak havoc in the Valley of Death.

Seriously, man. Take a College Baseball Study Course and come back add something meaningful to the discussion or please, by all means, bow out gracefully.
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » June 12th, 2011, 10:08 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:With the kind of talent that we have had in Springfield you better believe that we would have been to several more tournaments and maybe another CWS even if we were in their situation.

Bawww Hawww....what are you smoking. Are you talking about the same springfield team that didn't even qualify for the MVC tournament except for the MVC waiver for host a few years go.

When they start playing real competition on the weekend, they won't be so good. Mark my words.

You mean like in a regional? I think they just proved you wrong.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » June 13th, 2011, 7:52 am

If you cherry pick a year then sure. We were bad in 2005 but that was just one season. Overall, we have had some really fine teams in recent years but we don't have the luxury of playing early season games at home like Dallas Baptist does. And they just got knocked out in the Super Round by one of the most underqualified teams to ever make it to Omaha and they only scored two runs over two days.

Again props to them for their little run. I'm sure they have some solid ballplayers but if they think next year is going to be a walk in the park then they are in for a big surprise when they play some of the squads in the Missouri Valley.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TylerDurden » June 13th, 2011, 10:48 am

In most seasons, DBU is a top three MVC team, if not better.

I don't think they belong in the league, but they're a good team.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ferd Berfel » June 13th, 2011, 1:36 pm

when they play some of the squads in the Missouri Valley.

Yea, you got that right there are some real mashers in this league that will put the fear of God in them for sure.
Ferd Berfel
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Snaggletooth » June 13th, 2011, 7:23 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:If you cherry pick a year then sure. We were bad in 2005 but that was just one season. Overall, we have had some really fine teams in recent years

I don't know what your definition of "fine" is but these RPI are not fine unless you relish mediocrity

2011 - 64 RPI
2010 - 175 RPI
2009 - 151 RPI
2008 - 53 RPI
2007 - 115 RPI
2006 - 59 RPI
2005 - 92 RPI
2004 - 108 RPI
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » June 13th, 2011, 8:08 pm

WSUbballer wrote:You conveniently left out the fact that they beat Oklahoma, and host and last year CWS participant TCU, before dispatching of a pretty decent ORU team.

Is it because their name doesn't sound sexy enough? Is that why you have a chip against them?

You admitted that you had little to no clue about Dallas Baptist and their history as a baseball program. You admitted that you don't follow college baseball that much. And with that said, you think the Valley is too good for Dallas Baptist? Wow. :Bam:

Yah, maybe a stream of players will leave a program that has gone to more NCAA Tournaments than MSU and CU combined in the last 7 years and a team that is 2 wins away from Omaha this year for schools that have nice, shiny empty stadiums that wreak havoc in the Valley of Death.

Seriously, man. Take a College Baseball Study Course and come back add something meaningful to the discussion or please, by all means, bow out gracefully.

Let me first off just say that I don't like us adding a team for one sport only. Seems kind of small time and rinky dink. And if we are set on that idea, why not just adding the University of Central Missouri who is a D2 power and produces many draft picks every year? Would help with travel. And I bet you they have nicer stadium and draw better.

Yes they beat an okay OU team and also a greatly overrated and injury plagued Texas Christian ballclub. They also only scored two runs in the NCAA Second Round which is a best of three. I think it takes someone who is looking forward and MSU and CU with their facilities are going to move forward. Dallas is probably an afterthought in that Dallas Fort Worth market. Plus I just don't see how they geographically make sense.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » June 13th, 2011, 8:14 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:If you cherry pick a year then sure. We were bad in 2005 but that was just one season. Overall, we have had some really fine teams in recent years

I don't know what your definition of "fine" is but these RPI are not fine unless you relish mediocrity

2011 - 64 RPI
2010 - 175 RPI
2009 - 151 RPI
2008 - 53 RPI
2007 - 115 RPI
2006 - 59 RPI
2005 - 92 RPI
2004 - 108 RPI

I appreciate your knowledge of statistics and what you are trying to say. I think it has been proven that in baseball and softball that RPI is unfair to schools that aren't in the Southeast or West Coast. Dallas Baptist can hop in a bus and travel midweek to TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Rice, Houston, LSU, etc. Plus they can play their early season games at home which is a huge advantage. Missouri State does not have the advantage of good weekday opponents or getting our feet wet at home early in the year either. Not making excuses, Keith Guttin can and will do better but it is unfair.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Baseball