MVC baseball power shift?

Discuss MVC baseball here

Postby LMS » May 22nd, 2011, 2:57 pm

No question that WSU has been the dominant baseball program in the Valley, but I think the pendulum has swung north to creighton. With the new facilities in place I'm betting 2011 will be just the first of many MVC baseball titles for the Bluejays.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: MVC baseball power shift?

Postby Ferd Berfel » May 22nd, 2011, 4:34 pm

I agree, the Creighton BJ's are and will be the future class of the Valley in baseball.

:dance:
Ferd Berfel
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Snaggletooth » May 22nd, 2011, 5:59 pm

Funny I heard the same thing when swomo rented their new facility. Though the one difference i will say is that there is open criticism of Gene and Kemnitz. They are no longer baseball gods in Wichita.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » May 26th, 2011, 12:11 pm

The most interesting dynamic to next year's baseball season will be the addition of Dallas Baptist to the MVC. Playing as an independent, Dallas Baptist appears to have clinched an at large berth to the NCAA tournament with a 39-17 record playing a difficult schedule.

To clarify, DBU will be an associate member of the MVC in 2012 and not eligible for the league title or conference tournament until officially joining in 2013.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby C0|db|00ded » May 26th, 2011, 1:02 pm

Cue: SWOMO history lesson and "The Great Prognostication".

ISASO? Will you please?

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MVCfans » May 26th, 2011, 1:05 pm

Just discussed Dallas Baptist with WIchita Eagle writer Paul Suellentrop. DBU will play a full MVC baseball schedule in 2012 and 2013. League schools will vote after 2012 whether to include DBU for full baseball membership.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby iSASO » May 27th, 2011, 6:08 am

So...Creighton will be the new power broker in the Valley. Just like Nebraska ordained themselves as the new King of the Midwest after having a little success earlier this century. They had a brand new (rented) park in Lincoln, wonderful fan support and a couple of really good teams.

Sound familiar Bears and Bluejays?

What has Nebraska done lately?
What did Missouri State do after going 2 and Q in the 2003 CWS?
I still have the quote archived which says that, given the completion of Hammons Field, WSU will no longer host any tournament and will no longer get any recruit in which they compete against Missouri State. Anyone care to recount the history following that sage prediction?

I realize it's fashionable and satisfying to predict the demise of WSU baseball. It's what everyone around the Valley has been lusting after for 25 years. I don't remember Shocker fans making those bold predictions after truly becoming the King of the Midwest by taking that mantle away from Oklahoma State on their own field in the 1988 NCAA Regional Championship Game.

My advice? Savor those little moments of success but don't go adding to my Valley Talk Quotation Hall of Shame.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby JayWalker » May 27th, 2011, 10:32 pm

Out of curiosity, when was the last time the Shockers won a game at the CWS?

iirc, it was about 2001 or 2002, correct?
Walking like a Jay
JayWalker
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby iSASO » May 28th, 2011, 12:23 am

NO. It was 1993, the national semifinal game against Oklahoma State. WSU won 10-4. What's your point? That's also the last time any team from the MVC won a game at the CWS.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 2livewu » May 28th, 2011, 4:57 am

That 0 for the world record against WSU for your historic team in '91 still hurts doesn't it?

Creighton will NEVER be as good as WSU. NEVER. They could win 40 in a row and they wouldn't be as good as WSU. The Shocks have given you a target for 30 years and the best the Jays can do is hope to compete with WSU every 5-10 years, at best.

WSU is the program Creighton would kill to be, but never will be. While you try to laugh at WSU's last CWS win, let me know the next time the Jays are relevant on the national scene. Trust me, it will be the first time.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Baseball