MVC baseball power shift?

Discuss MVC baseball here

Re: MVC baseball power shift?

Postby Ferd Berfel » May 28th, 2011, 5:06 am

I do not hold out much hope tonight, the Shox against the "Jesuit Juggernaut", Lowell on three days rest and he is usually used to six is not good.

The "Class of the Valley" the Creighton BJ's will take the title.

Take it to the bank.
Ferd Berfel
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby JayWalker » May 28th, 2011, 6:30 am

Wow, I was just asking a simple question.

I looked it up: 1994 was the last win for the Shox in Omaha.

I guess I didn't realize that Creightons and WSU's last wins in Omaha were only 3 years apart.
Walking like a Jay
JayWalker
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Ferd Berfel » May 28th, 2011, 7:09 am

I guess I didn't realize that Creightons and WSU's last wins in Omaha were only 3 years apart.

If I remember correctly the last appearance for the Shox was in 1996 and that must have been an 0-2 showing.

That is one of the reasons for the fan unrest in Wichita, the trendline is down since then.
Ferd Berfel
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby iSASO » May 28th, 2011, 7:40 am

JayWalker wrote:Wow, I was just asking a simple question.

I looked it up: 1994 was the last win for the Shox in Omaha.

You are probably right, with all those games WSU played during that era, they kinda blur together. While you've got your history book open, could you count up the total number of games WSU has played in the CWS? Remember, you have to start in 1981-82.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby JayWalker » May 28th, 2011, 10:09 pm

Wow, they have played a lot in Omaha, no doubt about it.

I was thinking they'd been there more recently than 15 years ago.

Forgive me for my naivity, but I don't understand all the bitterness toward me for asking questions on Shocker baseball history.

If Creighton had that kind of history I'd be proud, yet humble. The Shocker program has a lot to be proud of, not bitter about.
Walking like a Jay
JayWalker
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby iSASO » May 28th, 2011, 10:29 pm

I think the tone of the first post of the thread caused the reaction, moreso than the straightforward question you asked. If it would have been a new thread, the response would probably have been more objective.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MVCfans » May 30th, 2011, 10:52 am

MVCfans wrote:Just discussed Dallas Baptist with WIchita Eagle writer Paul Suellentrop. DBU will play a full MVC baseball schedule in 2012 and 2013. League schools will vote after 2012 whether to include DBU for full baseball membership.

As Paul just tweeted, Dallas Baptist got an at large and a #3 seed. They will play a full valley scheduled next season which is a very good thing for MVC baseball.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby DoubleJayAlum » May 31st, 2011, 12:00 pm

iSASO wrote:So...Creighton will be the new power broker in the Valley. Just like Nebraska ordained themselves as the new King of the Midwest after having a little success earlier this century. They had a brand new (rented) park in Lincoln, wonderful fan support and a couple of really good teams.

Sound familiar Bears and Bluejays?

What has Nebraska done lately?
What did Missouri State do after going 2 and Q in the 2003 CWS?
I still have the quote archived which says that, given the completion of Hammons Field, WSU will no longer host any tournament and will no longer get any recruit in which they compete against Missouri State. Anyone care to recount the history following that sage prediction?

I realize it's fashionable and satisfying to predict the demise of WSU baseball. It's what everyone around the Valley has been lusting after for 25 years. I don't remember Shocker fans making those bold predictions after truly becoming the King of the Midwest by taking that mantle away from Oklahoma State on their own field in the 1988 NCAA Regional Championship Game.

The difference in comparing WSU and Nebraska is that the coach that turned Nebraska into a power left them to take the HC job at Arkansas, where he now has that school appearing regularly in the postseason. WSU, on the other hand, still has their deity in place as skipper of the team. Whereas, Nebraska's fall-off is reasonably blamed on their coaching change, WSU must attribute blame elsewhere.

I won't go so far as to say Creighton is the next baseball power, as private schools are at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to college baseball due to the goofy scholarship rules. Even with the new stadium, I I don't know that it will be enough to overcome the tremendous recruiting advantage experienced by state schools.

However, as to those "predicting the demise of WSU baseball", I'd suggest that most who are doing that predicting are actually WSu fans. Shockernet is certainly loaded with those doomsday predictions. Interestingly enough, there is even a group there that is blaming the decline in recruiting under Gene on the Christensen beanball incident of several years ago, where a fellow league player was permanently injured as a result. If that SN group is right,the WSu staff has nobody to blame but themselves (along with the segment of the WSU fanbase that passionately defended the right to permanently injure a kid who had the gall to "time pitches" from the on-deck area).
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » May 31st, 2011, 1:07 pm

WSU has made more of a commitment to baseball than other valley schools, but I think Creighton and Illinois State have the potential to be as good or better in the future. I worry about Coach Kingston leaving for another job as has been rumored with the Nebraska opening though which would set us back a ways.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ferd Berfel » May 31st, 2011, 5:08 pm

However, as to those "predicting the demise of WSU baseball", I'd suggest that most who are doing that predicting are actually WSu fans. Shockernet is certainly loaded with those doomsday predictions.

There are quite a few calling for Gene's head but that will not happen, he has a contract that runs thru 2014 and an AD with no b***s, plus no money to buy him out. Gene will be here for at least three more seasons.

You also have to consider the source, a bunch of message board morons just like this one that is full of experts.

Interestingly enough, there is even a group there that is blaming the decline in recruiting under Gene on the Christensen beanball incident of several years ago, where a fellow league player was permanently injured as a result.

This is a vaild theory that may have some legs. Look at the trendline from then until now, it certainly is down, the Shockers have come back to the pack big time.

(along with the segment of the WSU fanbase that passionately defended the right to permanently injure a kid who had the gall to "time pitches" from the on-deck area).

Of course this statement is false and bulls**t. I know of no one who defends the intentional injury to any opposing player. If Anthony Molina had been in the on-deck-circle this never would have happened. You happened to have a catcher and pitcher that decided they would send a message to an opposing player that was in the wrong position timing pitches.
Ferd Berfel
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Baseball