MVC baseball tourney Game 11 - Indiana St vs Wichita St

Discuss MVC baseball here

Re: MVC baseball tourney Game 11 - Indiana St vs Wichita St

Postby Ferd Berfel » May 26th, 2011, 6:42 pm

Shocks still in a good position I think.

I don't know I don't have a lot of confidence in the rest of the pitching staff.
Ferd Berfel
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MVCfans » May 26th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Little Eddie wrote:Dude was definitely safe at 3rd...we'll never know what would have happened I guess. Shocks still in a good position I think.

A few in the press box thought he was safe. Others that he was out. There has to be a slow motion replay somewhere on this isn't there?
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Snaggletooth » May 26th, 2011, 8:56 pm

MVCfans wrote:
Little Eddie wrote:Dude was definitely safe at 3rd...we'll never know what would have happened I guess. Shocks still in a good position I think.

A few in the press box thought he was safe. Others that he was out. There has to be a slow motion replay somewhere on this isn't there?

everybody who I have heard who seen the video was "safe'". Of course Shocks should never have put themselves in that position to leave it up to a umpire. That is the way baseball goes sometimes. On to tomorrow.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Little Eddie » May 27th, 2011, 8:41 am

Snaggletooth wrote:
MVCfans wrote:

everybody who I have heard who seen the video was "safe'". Of course Shocks should never have put themselves in that position to leave it up to a umpire. That is the way baseball goes sometimes. On to tomorrow.

I think the angle from the camera is much better than the one the umpire had...at least from what i could tell...ump appeared to be in foul territory so his vision of the Shocker foot hitting the bag before the Syc defender may have been blocked some by the Syc 3rd baseman.
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby DUBulldog » May 27th, 2011, 8:57 am

Little Eddie wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:
MVCfans wrote:A few in the press box thought he was safe. Others that he was out. There has to be a slow motion replay somewhere on this isn't there?

I think the angle from the camera is much better than the one the umpire had...at least from what i could tell...ump appeared to be in foul territory so his vision of the Shocker foot hitting the bag before the Syc defender may have been blocked some by the Syc 3rd baseman.

So, the ump was out of position?
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MVCfans » May 27th, 2011, 10:13 am

From Indiana State writer Todd Golden's Todd Golden - Down in the Valley, which I would encourage everyone to read.

Controversy! Stucky hit a sharp grounder to third base. Kraemer didn’t have a play at first, so he tried to beat pinch runner Tyler Coughenour to third for a force. In a bang-bang play, third base umpire Wayne Harris called Coughenour out.

It appeared pretty clear watching it live that Coughenour was safe.

Needless to say, Stephenson went ballistic in the coaches’ box as did Coughenour. But the call stood and ISU survives to Friday for a rematch with the Shockers. FINAL 7-6.

I talked to Stephenson after the game. I asked if Harris offered to consult with his crew on the call and a clearly angry Stephenson said Harris didn’t say anything at all.

I watched a replay here in the press box. Watching it live, I thought Coughenour was clearly safe. But the replay was a lot closer than I thought. I still think Coughenour was safe, but by no more than a sliver.

Unfortunately for Harris, the play developed in a way that he was at a poor angle to make the call. Another factor I didn’t pick up on until I saw the replay … Harris was in the sun and third base was in the shadows.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Ferd Berfel » May 27th, 2011, 10:23 am

As said before it is the Shockers own fault for letting a play like that decide the game.

They take business and take care of the ball and the game is not close and they are in the final game.

Gene needs to be mad at his team and not the ump.
Ferd Berfel
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby iSASO » May 27th, 2011, 10:34 am

It's just like a basketball team that misses free throws and loses on a tough call. The Shockers are who they are and Sycamores are who they are. You cannot give away 5 unearned runs and expect to win, even if the call was blown. That's why this is the worst Shocker team in 25 years. Simply an embarrassment.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Baseball