WSU and Creighton - Rivals or Not?

Discuss MVC baseball here

Re: WSU and Creighton - Rivals or Not?

Postby MoValley John » May 28th, 2011, 9:53 pm

[quote="iSASO"]So, in short, you believe that Creighton fans consider WSU a baseball rival. We know that at least one Creighton baseball player considers WSU a rival. That's all I was asking for.[/quote]

No, that is not what I was tryng to say. I was saying specifically, Creighton fans that follow Creighton baseball, consider Wichita State a rival in baseball. It is a very small, segmented portion of the Creighton fanbase and centered around one sport. To say "Creighton fans consider WSU a baseball rival" would include the entire Creighton fanbase. In fact, the baseball fanbase is probably less than 1,000 people. Smaller than the soccer fanbase.

A subtle, but important distinction to make.
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TrueBlueJay » May 29th, 2011, 1:58 am

Creighton is rivals with every team in the Valley, as is WCC.

You must be a ton of fun at the neighborhood picnic each year. I bet every one of your neighbors can recite your schtick as they have heard it year after year, after year....
Last edited by TrueBlueJay on May 29th, 2011, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrueBlueJay
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DoubleJayAlum » May 29th, 2011, 11:08 am

This question came up last year and I admitted then that for baseball, it is a rivalry from the Creighton perspective. I've heard Servais say, "we've got a nice little rivalry with those guys" as well.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocker3 » January 16th, 2012, 7:02 pm

I think there has been at least a little bit of a rivalry in baseball ever since the 1988 valley tourney when WSU was chosen to be the conference champ (we did win the regular season, and were ahead by 1 run over Creighton) when the championship game couldn't be completed in time due to rain.

Of course it grew during the 1991 season when Creighton had a great team but couldn't beat the Shockers (WSU was 8-0 that year against CU including 2 wins in the CWS).
http://www.tomsawyer2wayradios.com
shocker3
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Baseball