Just Asking ?

Discuss MVC baseball here

Just Asking ?

Postby SycamoreFanatic » May 28th, 2011, 11:19 am

Have the Shockers ever won a Valley tournament that wasn't played in Wichita ? I know there have been few opportunities outside of Eck but don't know the answer to this one?
SycamoreFanatic
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Just Asking ?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Just Asking ?

Postby MVCfans » May 28th, 2011, 11:23 am

Here are the last 10 or so champions as I look at the MVC program:

2010 Illinois State (at Wichita)
2009 Wichita St (at Wichita)
2008 Wichita St (at Wichita)
2007 Creighton (at Missouri St)
2006 Evansville (at Wichita)
2005 Wichita St (at Wichita)
2004 Wichita St (at Missouri St)
2003 Wichita St (at Wichita)
2002 Wichita St (at Wichita)
2001 UNI (at Wichita)
2000 Wichita St (at Wichita)

Other years when Wichita St won the MVC tournament on the road: 1998, 1982
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby 2livewu » May 28th, 2011, 2:46 pm

SycamoreFanatic wrote:Have the Shockers ever won a Valley tournament that wasn't played in Wichita ? I know there have been few opportunities outside of Eck but don't know the answer to this one?

With 16 titles and 24 appearances in the final game in 30 seasons, it never mattered where the tournament was played, and since WSU was the only school committed to putting forth the product and the money to host, the numbers are more than fair.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby iSASO » May 28th, 2011, 3:21 pm

One notable tournament was held at Evansville in 1998, IIRC. The Valley office wanted to spread the wealth and so it gave Evansville the opportunity to host. WSU won the title game something like 22-6. The experiment was over. The tourney lost tons of money and it was moved back to Wichita.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » May 29th, 2011, 11:19 am

iSASO wrote:One notable tournament was held at Evansville in 1998, IIRC. The Valley office wanted to spread the wealth and so it gave Evansville the opportunity to host. WSU won the title game something like 22-6. The experiment was over. The tourney lost tons of money and it was moved back to Wichita.

Sounds like the other MVC coaches, including Gene, were pretty impressed with TDAP. I wouldn't be surprised to see other MVC tourneys there in the future. According to some interviews I've seen with players from various teams, they were pretty excited to play in the same venue as the CWS.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » June 6th, 2011, 8:09 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote: According to some interviews I've seen with players from various teams, they were pretty excited to play in the same venue as the CWS.

Well how could they not be excited - this is likely their only opportunity for any mvc player to have a chance to say they played on the same field as the CWS(at least until DBU is admitted to the conference).
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jlandrus11 » June 6th, 2011, 1:39 pm

WIll Indiana State ever get a chance to host the MVC tourney?
jlandrus11
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MVCfans » June 6th, 2011, 1:59 pm

jlandrus11 wrote:WIll Indiana State ever get a chance to host the MVC tourney?

The MVC receives bids each year for the next season's tournament. If they make the best bid, they could host.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby WSUbballer » June 6th, 2011, 2:48 pm

Averaging 300 fans a game, inadequate press box facilties, inadequate tv broadcasting capabilities, and insufficient hotel space are not ideal aspects when hosting a Valley Championship.

Just saying.
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » June 6th, 2011, 7:51 pm

MVCfans wrote:
jlandrus11 wrote:WIll Indiana State ever get a chance to host the MVC tourney?

The MVC receives bids each year for the next season's tournament. If they make the best bid, they could host.

That not true. I heard that WSU had the best bid this year (as most years) and they are not hosting. So it must not be about money that decides who host.

Whatever happened having STL (at the Cardinals facilities) as host that was being tossed about a couple years ago? I know WSU was enthusiastic about it (but maybe that is why it didn't go anywhere).
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Baseball