Major League Baseball - amateur draft begins today

Discuss MVC baseball here

Re: Major League Baseball - amateur draft begins today

Postby pafan » June 8th, 2011, 7:00 am

Evansville's P/Inf Cody Fick was drafted by Philadelphia. #721 / 23rd round
Owner - PurpleAcesFans.com
User avatar
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member
 
Posts: 1533
Joined: August 10th, 2010, 9:03 am
Location: Ford Center

Re: Major League Baseball - amateur draft begins today

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: Major League Baseball - amateur draft begins today

Postby Ferd Berfel » June 8th, 2011, 5:37 pm

Shockers taken in the 2011 First-Year Player Draft

Tyler Grimes, Minnesota Twins, 5th round and the 178th pick.
Charlie Lowell, Florida Marlins, 6th 193rd
Brian Flynn, Detroit Tigers, 7th 227th
Chris O'Brien, Los Angeles Dodgers, 18th 554th
Chance Sossamon, Texas Rangers, 21st 654th
Mitch Mormann, Detroit Tigers, 25th 767th
Josh Smith, Milwaukee Brewers, 26th 791st
Johnny Coy, Toronto Blue Jays, 45th 1,369th
A.J. Ladwig (Signee), Philadelphia Phillies, 45th 1,381st
Tyler Baker (Signee),Cleveland Indians, 50th 1,508th
User avatar
Ferd Berfel
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player
 
Posts: 164
Joined: May 18th, 2011, 1:57 pm

Re: Major League Baseball - amateur draft begins today

Postby blueblood » June 8th, 2011, 6:26 pm

What round was Coy drafted out of high school before he became a Shocker?
blueblood
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player
 
Posts: 141
Joined: August 9th, 2010, 11:37 am

Re: Major League Baseball - amateur draft begins today

Postby Ferd Berfel » June 9th, 2011, 4:47 am

What round was Coy drafted out of high school before he became a Shocker?


7th

From Shockernet regarding Coy, someone named rc20:
Toronto called Johnny at 9:00 am the morning of the 2nd day of the draft. I believe 2 rounds were completed. They wanted to know exactly what it would take to sign him. Johnny was advised not to give a specific dollar figure to any team. He has stated all year to scouts that it would AT LEAST take top 5 round money for him to sign, but that wasn't even a guarantee. He enjoys playing at Wichita State and obviously would benefit from another year of college baseball. Everyone knows this year was a very tough season for Johnny, but he still managed to make 1st Team All-Conference and had 59 rbi as a sophomore. He expects to have a breakout season at WSU next year. Toronto did call after drafting him and told him they will watch him very closely in the Cape this summer.
User avatar
Ferd Berfel
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player
 
Posts: 164
Joined: May 18th, 2011, 1:57 pm

Re: Major League Baseball - amateur draft begins today

Postby DoubleJayAlum » June 9th, 2011, 8:19 am

Ferd Berfel wrote:Shockers taken in the 2011 First-Year Player Draft

Tyler Grimes, Minnesota Twins, 5th round and the 178th pick.
Charlie Lowell, Florida Marlins, 6th 193rd
Brian Flynn, Detroit Tigers, 7th 227th
Chris O'Brien, Los Angeles Dodgers, 18th 554th
Chance Sossamon, Texas Rangers, 21st 654th
Mitch Mormann, Detroit Tigers, 25th 767th
Josh Smith, Milwaukee Brewers, 26th 791st
Johnny Coy, Toronto Blue Jays, 45th 1,369th
A.J. Ladwig (Signee), Philadelphia Phillies, 45th 1,381st
Tyler Baker (Signee),Cleveland Indians, 50th 1,508th


Congrats to the draftees. With all of those players getting drafted, it would seem like WSU severely underperformed, no? After all, none of the other MVC schools had that much MLB talent on their rosters last year.

BTW, I believe rc20 is JOhnny Coy's older brother. He's also a complete loon. When CU was recruiting Johnny out of HS, he was all over our boards. Similarly, when JC was considering Drake, I believe Dickie Coy was all over their boards as well. He's more than a little paranoid and has a history of overreacting to posts that are pretty innocuous.
User avatar
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2300
Joined: August 5th, 2010, 12:05 pm

Re: Major League Baseball - amateur draft begins today

Postby LMS » June 9th, 2011, 8:50 am

My thought exactly on rc20 - definitely a Coy family member. Good people, but maybe a little too involved publicly. After being drafted by Toronto, WSU fans should probably be prepared for life after Johnny. It's well known that he's always wanted to be a Bluejay :D
User avatar
LMS
MVC starter
MVC starter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: August 30th, 2010, 5:35 pm

Re: Major League Baseball - amateur draft begins today

Postby ictjay » June 9th, 2011, 10:38 am

LMS wrote:My thought exactly on rc20 - definitely a Coy family member. Good people, but maybe a little too involved publicly. After being drafted by Toronto, WSU fans should probably be prepared for life after Johnny. It's well known that he's always wanted to be a Bluejay :D



:Cheers:
User avatar
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter
 
Posts: 281
Joined: August 9th, 2010, 9:34 am

Re: Major League Baseball - amateur draft begins today

Postby WSUbballer » June 9th, 2011, 10:45 am

WSU was picked 2nd in the conference so I think they performed as expected, at least by all of the other Valley head coaches.

WSU has a reputation for spitting out next-level players so that's why they have so many draftees and others don't. Has nothing to do with their season standing. Just as such, Creighton was able to win the league by 1 game with just a couple draft picks.
User avatar
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 1087
Joined: August 7th, 2010, 9:35 pm

Re: Major League Baseball - amateur draft begins today

Postby iSASO » June 10th, 2011, 11:47 pm

It's a sad situation when someone cannot fulfill their dream in life. But kids have to know that not everyone can be a Creighton BlueJay baseball player. You have to be special, the cream of the crop, the best of the best. For those who cannot meet that oh so high standard, well they need to recognize that they might be a better fit at a school "like Wichita State". Some kids just have to realize that they need to take a step down to a school with a little less success at the national level, a school a little lesser-known in baseball circles than Creighton, a school with less of a reputation for creating professional baseball players over the past 35 years.

So, Johnny, Shocker fans owe you an apology. They should be embarrassed that they don't have a program that you can be proud of like Creighton has. There's no Golden Spikes Award winners or Johnny Bench contenders at Wichita State. There's no College Players of the Year or National Championship trophy at Wichita State. There's no Regional Championship trophy at Wichita State within the last 5 years like there is at Creighton.
It's clear that Creighton is your dream school for all the reasons noted above. It's unfortunate that you were stuck at a crappy baseball school like Wichita State. But, that's life man. Everyone knows that this burden has probably wrecked your life, but you will overcome it somehow and will be able to land a job as a sewer drain cleaner in Wichita. Good luck to you. Don't worry about Creighton. They clearly had the better 1st baseman this season and didn't need you to notch one of their best seasons in school history. Again, good luck to you.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
User avatar
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 935
Joined: September 15th, 2010, 9:43 pm

Re: Major League Baseball - amateur draft begins today

Postby blueblood » June 12th, 2011, 3:37 pm

Go mow the yard dude.
blueblood
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player
 
Posts: 141
Joined: August 9th, 2010, 11:37 am

Re: Major League Baseball - amateur draft begins today

Postby valleychamp » June 12th, 2011, 3:58 pm

iSASO wrote:It's a sad situation when someone cannot fulfill their dream in life. But kids have to know that not everyone can be a Creighton BlueJay baseball player. You have to be special, the cream of the crop, the best of the best. For those who cannot meet that oh so high standard, well they need to recognize that they might be a better fit at a school "like Wichita State". Some kids just have to realize that they need to take a step down to a school with a little less success at the national level, a school a little lesser-known in baseball circles than Creighton, a school with less of a reputation for creating professional baseball players over the past 35 years.

So, Johnny, Shocker fans owe you an apology. They should be embarrassed that they don't have a program that you can be proud of like Creighton has. There's no Golden Spikes Award winners or Johnny Bench contenders at Wichita State. There's no College Players of the Year or National Championship trophy at Wichita State. There's no Regional Championship trophy at Wichita State within the last 5 years like there is at Creighton.
It's clear that Creighton is your dream school for all the reasons noted above. It's unfortunate that you were stuck at a crappy baseball school like Wichita State. But, that's life man. Everyone knows that this burden has probably wrecked your life, but you will overcome it somehow and will be able to land a job as a sewer drain cleaner in Wichita. Good luck to you. Don't worry about Creighton. They clearly had the better 1st baseman this season and didn't need you to notch one of their best seasons in school history. Again, good luck to you.


wow
UNI FIGHT
User avatar
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 1833
Joined: August 17th, 2010, 3:02 pm

Re: Major League Baseball - amateur draft begins today

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » June 12th, 2011, 4:20 pm

iSASO wrote:It's a sad situation when someone cannot fulfill their dream in life. But kids have to know that not everyone can be a Creighton BlueJay baseball player. You have to be special, the cream of the crop, the best of the best. For those who cannot meet that oh so high standard, well they need to recognize that they might be a better fit at a school "like Wichita State". Some kids just have to realize that they need to take a step down to a school with a little less success at the national level, a school a little lesser-known in baseball circles than Creighton, a school with less of a reputation for creating professional baseball players over the past 35 years.

So, Johnny, Shocker fans owe you an apology. They should be embarrassed that they don't have a program that you can be proud of like Creighton has. There's no Golden Spikes Award winners or Johnny Bench contenders at Wichita State. There's no College Players of the Year or National Championship trophy at Wichita State. There's no Regional Championship trophy at Wichita State within the last 5 years like there is at Creighton.
It's clear that Creighton is your dream school for all the reasons noted above. It's unfortunate that you were stuck at a crappy baseball school like Wichita State. But, that's life man. Everyone knows that this burden has probably wrecked your life, but you will overcome it somehow and will be able to land a job as a sewer drain cleaner in Wichita. Good luck to you. Don't worry about Creighton. They clearly had the better 1st baseman this season and didn't need you to notch one of their best seasons in school history. Again, good luck to you.


You know I understand this. Reminds me of the attitude of Lady Bears fans at the end of the Cheryl Burnett era. Shocker fans are facing a similar situation. The Melody Howards and Jackie Stiles are gone. No more Pelfrys or Subletts coming through. Times are a changing. Maybe things would have been better if Stevenson would have staid in Norman, I bet Galloway would have done better by this point. So continue mocking Shox fans we understand your pain in Springfield. Much like a balding man hanging on to the unsightly clump of hair that they have left furiously combing over we find WSU fans doing the same.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 911
Joined: January 23rd, 2011, 11:51 am

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Baseball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest