2011 College World Series

Discuss MVC baseball here

Re: 2011 College World Series

Postby MoValley John » June 23rd, 2011, 1:50 pm

Bearvision wrote:I was a little disappointed in the CWS. It was my first time out there, and I just expected it to be a better atmosphere and a little more fun. The weather sure didn't help, but it did give me a chance to see the Qwest Center. It's pretty cavernous, but all in all, a very nice facility. *Side note* all of Creighton's facilities are very nice (if you count Qwest and the new stadium as Creighton's since they play very few games in the new stadium and Qwest is a multi-even fcility). The soccer stadium is great.

I learned a lot about Omaha. It's bigger than I expected. Of course the zoo is nice, and there are several corporate headquarters there. Zesto's makes an awesome shake, food is mediocre though.

I imagine the atmosphere was better in Rosenblatt. More a "college" feel rather than the commercialized event it was this year.

Everyone loves "their" city, the city of Omaha is very spread out, and has some real bad areas. Out West was the part that was nice.

As for the CWS itself, Florida is going to win it. They were really by far the most talented team there. What's worse is they could be even better next year.


I don't know what you expected. The games are usually pretty boring and the venue is brand new. In the past, I attended some games but spent most of my time in the beer tents and at parties. I think it will take a few years for people to get the hang of the new area and to build atmosphere.

I was not going to any games this year, but must admit that I went last night. A buddy dragged me. The stadium is nice, we left after Vanderbilt was ahead 5-0. The seats we were in are nowhere near as good as the old seats I used to have at Rosenblatt, big deal.

Tips for visitors: The beer garden at Slowdown was pretty fun. It was nowhere near as busy as the old beer garden by the King Kong at Rosenblatt, but it has character. Mattress factory is also a first rate stop for an outdoor beer and "People Watching." But a must see for CWS visitors, the chick selling beer at the back beer stand at the Zesto's tent. Oh my! Keep in mind, the Zesto's tent is somewhat lame and pricier than the others, but the chick, if dressed the same as last night, is a must see. :+1:

Sorry I can't give a better rundown on teams, I really don't pay a lot of attention, but I can give a fair assessment of beer gardens!
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
User avatar
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 1435
Joined: August 11th, 2010, 5:46 pm

Re: 2011 College World Series

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: 2011 College World Series

Postby shocker3 » June 24th, 2011, 2:39 am

Bearvision wrote:I was a little disappointed in the CWS. It was my first time out there, and I just expected it to be a better atmosphere and a little more fun. The weather sure didn't help, but it did give me a chance to see the Qwest Center. It's pretty cavernous, but all in all, a very nice facility. *Side note* all of Creighton's facilities are very nice (if you count Qwest and the new stadium as Creighton's since they play very few games in the new stadium and Qwest is a multi-even fcility). The soccer stadium is great.

I learned a lot about Omaha. It's bigger than I expected. Of course the zoo is nice, and there are several corporate headquarters there. Zesto's makes an awesome shake, food is mediocre though.

I imagine the atmosphere was better in Rosenblatt. More a "college" feel rather than the commercialized event it was this year.

Everyone loves "their" city, the city of Omaha is very spread out, and has some real bad areas. Out West was the part that was nice.

As for the CWS itself, Florida is going to win it. They were really by far the most talented team there. What's worse is they could be even better next year.


It's too bad you never made it to the Blatt. A much better atmosphere, iMO. The new stadium is very nice but it is just too sterile. No atmosphere at all.

I don't think I will go to another CWS game unless WSU is playing in it. I started going to the CWS in 1963. It just isn't the same in the new place.
http://www.tomsawyer2wayradios.com
User avatar
shocker3
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player
 
Posts: 115
Joined: December 22nd, 2010, 12:14 am
Location: Kansas

Re: 2011 College World Series

Postby Jays26 » June 24th, 2011, 7:46 am

Bearvision wrote:I was a little disappointed in the CWS. It was my first time out there, and I just expected it to be a better atmosphere and a little more fun. The weather sure didn't help, but it did give me a chance to see the Qwest Center. It's pretty cavernous, but all in all, a very nice facility. *Side note* all of Creighton's facilities are very nice (if you count Qwest and the new stadium as Creighton's since they play very few games in the new stadium and Qwest is a multi-even fcility). The soccer stadium is great.

I learned a lot about Omaha. It's bigger than I expected. Of course the zoo is nice, and there are several corporate headquarters there. Zesto's makes an awesome shake, food is mediocre though.

I imagine the atmosphere was better in Rosenblatt. More a "college" feel rather than the commercialized event it was this year.

Everyone loves "their" city, the city of Omaha is very spread out, and has some real bad areas. Out West was the part that was nice.

As for the CWS itself, Florida is going to win it. They were really by far the most talented team there. What's worse is they could be even better next year.


The weather was a bummer and I'm sure had a lot to do with your first impression being poor. Did you go into the arena at the Qwest or were you on the convention center side?
Creighton is playing all of their baseball games in TD Ameritrade.

The new venue will be better than the Blatt in the long run. Much more room to spread out, downtown will be a much better location than south omaha. And remember folks, both ballparks seat about the same number of fans, it's just that TD Ameritrade is much more open, which is great.

Of course all cities the size of Omaha will have some "bad areas" but overall compared to most cities Omaha doesn't have a lot of problem areas. A very safe city and a great place to raise a family.
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 712
Joined: August 26th, 2010, 8:12 am
Location: Omaha

Re: 2011 College World Series

Postby DoubleJayAlum » June 24th, 2011, 8:31 am

Bearvision wrote:"*Side note* all of Creighton's facilities are very nice (if you count Qwest and the new stadium as Creighton's since they play very few games in the new stadium and Qwest is a multi-even fcility). The soccer stadium is great.


If by using the phrase "they play very few games in the new stadium" you meant, "they play every home game in the new stadium", your statement is accurate. If you meant anything else, it isn't.

I think that in the three mens sports most important to CU (basketball, baseball and soccer), CU probably has the best facilities of anyone in the conference. The new university owned arena used by the Volleyball team and women's basketball team is pretty nice as well. We could desperately use a new basketball practice facility however.

While one can joke about the fact that the Qwest (soon to be "CenturyLink") and TD Ameritrade are rented, that doesn't take anything away from their quality. Their proximity to campus (both are within walking distance, although the Qwest is a little farther than TD Ameritrade) means that students and campus people can get to the events with relative ease. Creighton is truly reaping the benefits of Omaha's progressive thinking and planning.
User avatar
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2300
Joined: August 5th, 2010, 12:05 pm

Re: 2011 College World Series

Postby TrueBlueJay » June 25th, 2011, 1:48 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Bearvision wrote:"*Side note* all of Creighton's facilities are very nice (if you count Qwest and the new stadium as Creighton's since they play very few games in the new stadium and Qwest is a multi-even fcility). The soccer stadium is great.


If by using the phrase "they play very few games in the new stadium" you meant, "they play every home game in the new stadium", your statement is accurate. If you meant anything else, it isn't.

I think that in the three mens sports most important to CU (basketball, baseball and soccer), CU probably has the best facilities of anyone in the conference. The new university owned arena used by the Volleyball team and women's basketball team is pretty nice as well. We could desperately use a new basketball practice facility however.

While one can joke about the fact that the Qwest (soon to be "CenturyLink") and TD Ameritrade are rented, that doesn't take anything away from their quality. Their proximity to campus (both are within walking distance, although the Qwest is a little farther than TD Ameritrade) means that students and campus people can get to the events with relative ease. Creighton is truly reaping the benefits of Omaha's progressive thinking and planning.


When you really look at CU's facilities, they have as good or better than not only every school in the Valley, but I'd dare say as anyone in the nation (for Hoops, Soccer and Baseball). Not only that, but with the women have some great digs for Volleyball and hoops as well.
User avatar
TrueBlueJay
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player
 
Posts: 141
Joined: August 6th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Re: 2011 College World Series

Postby valleychamp » June 25th, 2011, 3:54 pm

TrueBlueJay wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Bearvision wrote:"*Side note* all of Creighton's facilities are very nice (if you count Qwest and the new stadium as Creighton's since they play very few games in the new stadium and Qwest is a multi-even fcility). The soccer stadium is great.


If by using the phrase "they play very few games in the new stadium" you meant, "they play every home game in the new stadium", your statement is accurate. If you meant anything else, it isn't.

I think that in the three mens sports most important to CU (basketball, baseball and soccer), CU probably has the best facilities of anyone in the conference. The new university owned arena used by the Volleyball team and women's basketball team is pretty nice as well. We could desperately use a new basketball practice facility however.

While one can joke about the fact that the Qwest (soon to be "CenturyLink") and TD Ameritrade are rented, that doesn't take anything away from their quality. Their proximity to campus (both are within walking distance, although the Qwest is a little farther than TD Ameritrade) means that students and campus people can get to the events with relative ease. Creighton is truly reaping the benefits of Omaha's progressive thinking and planning.


When you really look at CU's facilities, they have as good or better than not only every school in the Valley, but I'd dare say as anyone in the nation (for Hoops, Soccer and Baseball). Not only that, but with the women have some great digs for Volleyball and hoops as well.


Fans always say things like this about their own school, when they really have no clue about what type of facilities there are around the country, and their own conferences.
UNI FIGHT
User avatar
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 1833
Joined: August 17th, 2010, 3:02 pm

Re: 2011 College World Series

Postby Jays26 » June 25th, 2011, 8:29 pm

While one can joke about the fact that the Qwest (soon to be "CenturyLink") and TD Ameritrade are rented, that doesn't take anything away from their quality. Their proximity to campus (both are within walking distance, although the Qwest is a little farther than TD Ameritrade) means that students and campus people can get to the events with relative ease. Creighton is truly reaping the benefits of Omaha's progressive thinking and planning.


When you really look at CU's facilities, they have as good or better than not only every school in the Valley, but I'd dare say as anyone in the nation (for Hoops, Soccer and Baseball). Not only that, but with the women have some great digs for Volleyball and hoops as well.[/quote]

Fans always say things like this about their own school, when they really have no clue about what type of facilities there are around the country, and their own conferences.[/quote]



Now that's funny.....Kind of like you are doing right here Valley.
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 712
Joined: August 26th, 2010, 8:12 am
Location: Omaha

Re: 2011 College World Series

Postby valleychamp » June 25th, 2011, 9:30 pm

Excuse me?
UNI FIGHT
User avatar
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 1833
Joined: August 17th, 2010, 3:02 pm

Re: 2011 College World Series

Postby DoubleJayAlum » June 26th, 2011, 12:33 pm

valleychamp wrote:
TrueBlueJay wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:If by using the phrase "they play very few games in the new stadium" you meant, "they play every home game in the new stadium", your statement is accurate. If you meant anything else, it isn't.

I think that in the three mens sports most important to CU (basketball, baseball and soccer), CU probably has the best facilities of anyone in the conference. The new university owned arena used by the Volleyball team and women's basketball team is pretty nice as well. We could desperately use a new basketball practice facility however.

While one can joke about the fact that the Qwest (soon to be "CenturyLink") and TD Ameritrade are rented, that doesn't take anything away from their quality. Their proximity to campus (both are within walking distance, although the Qwest is a little farther than TD Ameritrade) means that students and campus people can get to the events with relative ease. Creighton is truly reaping the benefits of Omaha's progressive thinking and planning.


When you really look at CU's facilities, they have as good or better than not only every school in the Valley, but I'd dare say as anyone in the nation (for Hoops, Soccer and Baseball). Not only that, but with the women have some great digs for Volleyball and hoops as well.


Fans always say things like this about their own school, when they really have no clue about what type of facilities there are around the country, and their own conferences.


I've seen UNI's facilities first hand. I feel very confident in stating that Creighton's blows them away.
User avatar
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2300
Joined: August 5th, 2010, 12:05 pm

Re: 2011 College World Series

Postby valleychamp » June 26th, 2011, 12:53 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
I've seen UNI's facilities first hand. I feel very confident in stating that Creighton's blows them away.


Absolutely not.

Why are you bringing up UNI anyway?
UNI FIGHT
User avatar
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 1833
Joined: August 17th, 2010, 3:02 pm

Re: 2011 College World Series

Postby Bearvision » June 26th, 2011, 9:06 pm

...
Last edited by Bearvision on June 26th, 2011, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearvision
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player
 
Posts: 125
Joined: October 5th, 2010, 8:02 pm

Re: 2011 College World Series

Postby Ferd Berfel » June 27th, 2011, 6:31 am

College Soccer News ranked CU's soccer stadium as #1 in the country for college soccer.


Soccer?

Image

You play the Soccer card in this facility debate?

Soccer sucks, no one cares about Soccer. A bunch of kids running around that are not tough enough to play football or rugby.

The only people that watch soccer are the boyfriends/girlfriends and parents, that is it, no one cares.

Image

At least CU owns the facility.
User avatar
Ferd Berfel
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player
 
Posts: 164
Joined: May 18th, 2011, 1:57 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Baseball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest