UCLA eliminates "first class Creighton"

Discuss MVC baseball here

Postby LMS » June 5th, 2012, 6:05 am

Great writeup by Baseball America.
UCLA coach John Savage was effusive in his praise for the Bluejays in his opening remarks to media.

"You're talking about a completely first-class operation," Savage said of the Bluejays. "You're talking about guys doing things right before the game, in between pitches, on pitches, never give up. From where they were to where they ended is a credit to how they go about it. That is the first time I have personally played them, and I just can't say enough about Creighton. First class. I'm telling you, I've seen a lot of programs, and from how they go about it, from stretching to infield/outfield to games—I'm telling you, I'm not making this up, this is first class.

"I'm just so impressed. I was going to say that win or lose, because they made a huge impression on our program, and they really made our program better this weekend."

Maybe that sounds over the top, but every coach who faces Creighton seems to come away with the same impression. Earlier Sunday, in fact, New Mexico coach Ray Birmingham said, "I think the world of Ed Servais . . . He's one of the good guys in baseball."

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/col ... creighton/
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: UCLA eliminates "first class Creighton"

Postby ictjay » June 5th, 2012, 7:19 am

I will say Ed's teams play the game the "right way". The hustle/mental approach helps make up for any lack of talent.
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Snaggletooth » June 5th, 2012, 9:19 pm

ictjay wrote:I will say Ed's teams play the game the "right way". The hustle/mental approach helps make up for any lack of talent.

will Ed apply for the WSU job when it come open in 2 years?
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » June 6th, 2012, 7:24 am

Snaggletooth wrote:
ictjay wrote:I will say Ed's teams play the game the "right way". The hustle/mental approach helps make up for any lack of talent.

Not a chance. What does WSU offer that he doesn't have at Creighton? WSU is barely the 3rd or 4th best program in the conference, facilities and fan support are woeful compared to the flagship programs MSU and Creighton, coaching is worse than both of those places plus Indiana State.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Turner » June 6th, 2012, 1:39 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:

It'll be open before then.
Turner
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » June 7th, 2012, 8:14 pm

That is borderline gushing. Really nice to see that kind of respect from a distinguished coach in a BCS league. CU fans should be proud of how these kids represent their school. Good job Creighton. Good effort.

And Ed won't be the next coach at Wichita. It'll be Ty Harrington. 85% lock within two years. If Gene doesn't retire himself by then then all bets are off.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 3ontheway » June 11th, 2012, 8:56 am

iSASO wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:

Not a chance. What does WSU offer that he doesn't have at Creighton? WSU is barely the 3rd or 4th best program in the conference, facilities and fan support are woeful compared to the flagship programs MSU and Creighton, coaching is worse than both of those places plus Indiana State.

you do bring up some valid points.
3ontheway
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby iSASO » June 13th, 2012, 9:56 pm

Of course. It's what I do. You should be familiar with my work by now. WSU has become the team everyone dreamed they would become over the past 30 years. Still waiting for someone to win 14 straight conference titles though.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Baseball