2013 MVC Tournament

Discuss MVC baseball here

Re: 2013 MVC Tournament

Postby ihsi » May 24th, 2013, 8:26 am

GoShockers89 wrote:Shockers force a do-or-die game against Indiana State at 12:30 this afternoon. Winner advances to face the Redbirds in Saturday's championship.

Is it a one game championship or double elimination? I remember a couple of years ago CU was undefeated going into the title game and lost to a WSU team they had no-hit earlier in the tournament. If a tournament is double elimination, it should remain that way throughout IMO.
ihsi
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GoShockers89 » May 24th, 2013, 8:50 am

ihsi wrote:
GoShockers89 wrote:Shockers force a do-or-die game against Indiana State at 12:30 this afternoon. Winner advances to face the Redbirds in Saturday's championship.

Is it a one game championship or double elimination? I remember a couple of years ago CU was undefeated going into the title game and lost to a WSU team they had no-hit earlier in the tournament. If a tournament is double elimination, it should remain that way throughout IMO.

It's double elimination up until the title game, then it becomes winner-take-all. I agree with you and prefer the double-elimination type setup that was used in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. Other MVC coaches felt the need to tinker with the system because at the time they felt it advantaged WSU too much.

Ironically, the year where CU no-hit WSU in a meaningless pod game then lost the next day in the championship was the season that Ed Servais very vocally insisted on that very setup for the tournament.
GoShockers89
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby LanceShock » May 24th, 2013, 9:56 am

GoShockers89 wrote:
ihsi wrote:

It's double elimination up until the title game, then it becomes winner-take-all. I agree with you and prefer the double-elimination type setup that was used in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. Other MVC coaches felt the need to tinker with the system because at the time they felt it advantaged WSU too much.

Ironically, the year where CU no-hit WSU in a meaningless pod game then lost the next day in the championship was the season that Ed Servais very vocally insisted on that very setup for the tournament.

Is that the reason or does it have to do with TV? I thought that the TV networks prefer a single winner takes all game.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby martymoose » May 24th, 2013, 4:26 pm

LanceShock wrote:Is that the reason or does it have to do with TV? I thought that the TV networks prefer a single winner takes all game.

I don't quite understand the wording of your second sentence, but yes the TV networks prefer a 1 game championship they can televise live. The problem used to be WSU would sweep the tournament and it would be Saturday/Sunday afternoon...then it would be tape delayed later in the evening. There was the rare occurrence where the underdog would beat WSU in the afternoon and the evening game would be live. But going back to why it all switched, a few valley coaches lobbied for a ridiculous pod playoff system that was quickly dumped and changed to the current format which is used by several other conferences. Of course if an undefeated team makes it to the championship and loses to a 1 loss team...then the undefeated team isn't all too happy. Now that WSU "sucks" I'm sure the Valley coaches will consider changing things again...It's highly unlikely they would change things, but I never thought I'd see the day ISUr or ISUb would host the MVC tournament so clearly I could be wrong.
martymoose
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby GoShockers89 » May 24th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Shockers eliminate ISUb 5-4 in a close game this afternoon.

WSU faces ISUr in tomorrow night's championship contest at 7:07 CST. Should be a good one between the Valley's two best teams.
GoShockers89
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Illstew » May 24th, 2013, 7:19 pm

Amazing catch by WSU's left fielder for the 2nd out in the 9th. Should be on Sportscenter tonight (I hope).

Should be a good game tomorrow.
Go Illinois State University Redbirds!
Go Chicago Cubs!
Illstew
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby AngryWheat=FTW= » May 24th, 2013, 9:13 pm

This is shaping up to be a pretty exciting tournament!
MTXA = Mental Toughness Xtra Angry!!

>>>Wheatshockers.com<<<
AngryWheat=FTW=
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Snaggletooth » May 25th, 2013, 8:17 pm

Looks like it is the year of the "Shocker" and the underachieving Shox are going to end ISUR record season.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shoxrox » May 25th, 2013, 8:40 pm

Sorry Redbirds, it's the YEAR OF THE SHOCK. :dance: :Yea!:
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1