Will WSU Fire Mean Gene?

Discuss MVC baseball here

Re: Will WSU Fire Mean Gene?

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » June 5th, 2013, 9:44 am

This whole episode was handled badly by all parties. But I think the right move was made by WSU.

I truly wish that our AD had the same courage as Sexton. Instead our program is circling the drain and quickly losing support.

The best decision is sometimes the tough one. It is sad but it has to be done. Could it have been handled more skillfully by Sexton? Yes, without question. Could Krusty have had more grace? Of course. But in the end, Wichita State made their program better yesterday. What a novel concept.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby shocktheheart » June 5th, 2013, 10:01 am

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:This whole episode was handled badly by all parties. But I think the right move was made by WSU.

I truly wish that our AD had the same courage as Sexton. Instead our program is circling the drain and quickly losing support.

The best decision is sometimes the tough one. It is sad but it has to be done. Could it have been handled more skillfully by Sexton? Yes, without question. Could Krusty have had more grace? Of course. But in the end, Wichita State made their program better yesterday. What a novel concept.

What could have Sexton or Krusty done better in your opinion? Krusty would not want a coach in waiting or a farewell tour.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby C0|db|00ded » June 5th, 2013, 9:51 pm

I have a theory that Brent Kemnitz wasn't allowed to recruit the type of players he wanted to recruit. I think he is excited to be able to call the shots on recruiting, at least in the near-term. I think there is a chance we will be seeing more players in Shocker uniforms from areas we have not been used to seeing at Wichita State.

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » June 6th, 2013, 4:29 pm

shocktheheart wrote:
CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:
What could have Sexton or Krusty done better in your opinion? Krusty would not want a coach in waiting or a farewell tour.

Great question. I don't have immense knowledge of the situation but I just have to think that those in power could have made it a more amicable ending.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » June 6th, 2013, 6:06 pm

shocktheheart wrote:

Great question. I don't have immense knowledge of the situation but I just have to think that those in power could have made it a more amicable ending.

Gene thought he was above the law. He was told a year ago what he needed to do - make a change and bring a new hitting coach in - he refused. In fact he was beligerant towards his boss from the stories. He had became a excuse maker, a siloh of no. He called Sexton bluff and lost. He didn't work with the Athletic department well (example the Coy fiasco).

He thought he had beaten Sexton - he scheduled one of his worst schedule ever. Through that he thought he could win so much that nobody could rationally make a case to fire him if he won 50 games. But his team didn't do to well. He thought he had got a reprieve when he pulled the miracle run in the MVC tournament - but he was already a dead-man walking.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » June 7th, 2013, 8:59 am

shocktheheart wrote:

By doing what? I think it ended better than I thought it would. Gene is a stubborn old man who thinks he shouldn't have to answer to anyone. He wasn't going to retire and WSU couldn't afford to let him coach another year without an extension as it would have killed recruiting even more. Gene would have never let WSU force his hand and have a coach in waiting. The rumors are that Sexton wanted him to get a different hitting coach and he wouldn't even do that.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » June 13th, 2013, 12:16 pm

Is there any truth to the rumor that Gene is good friends with G Marshall and that Gregg had privately thrown some support his (Gene) way? And that Marshall is pretty upset by this firing?

No idea if this is true or not. My FIL heard this at a Spfld Cardinals game......
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shockalot » June 13th, 2013, 6:41 pm

None.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Snaggletooth » June 14th, 2013, 5:04 pm

glm38 wrote:Is there any truth to the rumor that Gene is good friends with G Marshall and that Gregg had privately thrown some support his (Gene) way? And that Marshall is pretty upset by this firing?

No idea if this is true or not. My FIL heard this at a Spfld Cardinals game......

LOL. Marshall and Gene didn't pall around together. Marshall is actually has family values. There is no love lost between the two after the Coy affair.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Baseball