Will WSU Fire Mean Gene?

Discuss MVC baseball here

Will WSU Fire Mean Gene?

Postby DoubleJayAlum » June 3rd, 2013, 1:31 pm

The purpose of this thread is not to flame, but rather to discuss what I think is a pretty tough matter for WSU.

Without the use of any hyperbole, Gene built the entire WSU baseball program from nothing but dirt into one of the most successful in the entire country. He's a living legend in the sport.

Yet, even though he took his team back to the NCAA tournament this year, he appears to be on the hotseat after going 2 and Q in the regionals, ultimately being eliminated by instate rival K State.

We all know that Gene's teams have not been as successful lately and there have been some on the field and off the field incidents over the last several years that have hurt his legacy (the Christensen Beanball incident, the stalker allegations, etc.). On top of that, even when he was ultra-successful, Gene was a bit prickly to deal with (heck, "prickly" may be an understatement :D ).

What does WSU do now? How much respect does his legendary status garner? Do they fire the living legend, replacing him with someone younger? Do they let him play out the remaining year on his contract and then cut him loose? How does Gene react to any move by WSU? Does he accept a firing/forced retirement or does he blast the WSU admin in the press if cut loose?

This is a tough situation for a proud program and proud man. It can't be comfortable right now for WSU's AD.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Will WSU Fire Mean Gene?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Will WSU Fire Mean Gene?

Postby shocktheheart » June 3rd, 2013, 1:47 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:The purpose of this thread is not to flame, but rather to discuss what I think is a pretty tough matter for WSU.

Without the use of any hyperbole, Gene built the entire WSU baseball program from nothing but dirt into one of the most successful in the entire country. He's a living legend in the sport.

Yet, even though he took his team back to the NCAA tournament this year, he appears to be on the hotseat after going 2 and Q in the regionals, ultimately being eliminated by instate rival K State.

We all know that Gene's teams have not been as successful lately and there have been some on the field and off the field incidents over the last several years that have hurt his legacy (the Christensen Beanball incident, the stalker allegations, etc.). On top of that, even when he was ultra-successful, Gene was a bit prickly to deal with (heck, "prickly" may be an understatement :D ).

What does WSU do now? How much respect does his legendary status garner? Do they fire the living legend, replacing him with someone younger? Do they let him play out the remaining year on his contract and then cut him loose? How does Gene react to any move by WSU? Does he accept a firing/forced retirement or does he blast the WSU admin in the press if cut loose?

This is a tough situation for a proud program and proud man. It can't be comfortable right now for WSU's AD.

Need to fire him and the whole staff. Can't let him coach next year without an extension as it will kill recruiting even more. If they do get rid of him, I would like to see them go after Mark Standiford (WSU's career home run leader) he is the coach at small Tabor College in Kansas and has turned that program around. Or go after Kevin Hooper who played with WSU and the Detroit Tigers. He is currently managing the Wichita Wingnuts (local independent team). Need to infuse some new young blood into this program.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » June 3rd, 2013, 2:46 pm

Gene will be out by the end of the day. I'm not what you would call a huge fan of the man but I hope the Wichita State fans will take a little time out of their "Gene is Gone Celebration" to reflect on the great accomplishments of the man.

I was in Manhattan over the weekend and in speaking with a lot of fans there I was astounded by the lack of reverance many WSU fans show the man. He is like the Great Gatsby in that Shocker fans came over to his house (Eck) for raucous celebrations and great memories but they are like Daisy at the end. Too busy and irreverent to tip their cap to their imperfect legend.

So long Gene. You were flawed but you are the most recognizable figure in the history of Wichita State. I tipped my cap in person to you at both games this weekend in a literal sense and now I will do it in a figurative sense. You will be missed by many in the Valley. Enjoy whatever pursuits lie ahead.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shocktheheart » June 3rd, 2013, 3:04 pm

kansasdotcom ‏@kansasdotcom 1m
AD Eric Sexton and university attorney Ted Ayres leave Shocker baseball office. Players arrive for meeting on fate of Coach Gene Stephenson.

I bet we find out something very soon
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » June 3rd, 2013, 3:17 pm

Right now, it's 4:15. Sexton and the lawyer left Stephenson's office at 3:45. Players arrived for a meeting with Stephenson at 4:00.

It doesn't look like a good thing that the meeting was held in Stephenson's office. It wouldn't be unlike him to insist that if there was going to be a meeting, it would have to be on his turf.

That's not a good message to send to your boss.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » June 3rd, 2013, 4:42 pm

Frankly, I've always thought Gene was a bit of a jerk, but have always had tremendous respect for what he created and fostered over the years.

If he is let go, the timing is tough. He just took his team to the regionals and won the conference tourney. Giving him the boot now might not look all that great as a result to outsiders (and could impact the quality and interest of potential replacements). If WSU was going to terminate him, either of the last two seasons would have probably been an easier sell politically since there were no regional births.

If there was only one sport in which CU-WSU games could continue into the future, that sport would be baseball strangely enough. The historic battles and rivalry has been most intense between the schools on the baseball diamond. I know that Gene and Servais have discussed playing each other going forward, so selfishly I hope Gene can stay on for that reason.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » June 3rd, 2013, 4:45 pm

Aargh wrote:That's not a good message to send to your boss.

Yeah, something tells me that the fire, fight and spunk that have served Gene so well throughout his entire career could be a negative right now. Too bad as you hate to see a legend go down, even at a rival.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » June 3rd, 2013, 10:14 pm

Apparently, the delay is to let Gene decide how he leaves the program.

http://www.kansas.com/2013/06/03/2830805/athletic-director-attorney-leave.html

There's also some buzz that he will continue pursuing being the all-time most winning coach at another university. There's some rumors that Auburn may be interested.

If WSU cans him and Auburn hires him, I expect that would re-energize him and he'd go on a recruiting and coaching tear (hasn't done that at WSU for years).

This isn't going to go down well. Gene will demonstrate why his nickname is "Krusty".

If anyone here thinks Gregg Marshall is an ego-filled, angry, out-of-control, and obnoxious SOB, you haven't met Gene Stephenson.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby C0|db|00ded » June 4th, 2013, 12:46 pm

It's definitely time for Gene to go. He has been breaking his all-time records on the downside for years now. When he left for OU, I was heart-broken, then relieved when he came back but still scorned for the things he said. Since his return he has fulfilled his own prophecy of "not being able to take WSU any further."

The Wichita State baseball program is the envy of the nation with on-campus facilities that rival just about anybody. Gene's historic success at WSU has afforded us many alumni and others who are patiently waiting on the sidelines chomping at the bit to take over the reigns. We will literally have our pick of a who's who of baseball stars. All we need is an extremely aggressive recruiter who has also made a name for himself and we are set for the next 20 years.

One thing I find odd though while having just perused Shockernet is all the turncoats over there who are acting scared now that 10 is on his way out. Guys, you begged for him to retire/be fired, now it has happened. Have some stones and expect the best.

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby AngryWheat=FTW= » June 4th, 2013, 2:31 pm

It appears WSU WILL fire Gene if Gene doesn't bow out. I don't know how I feel about this. Gene Stephenson is a pretty big deal in the world of college baseball. And what about Brent Kemnitz? He's one of the best pitching coaches in the country is he not?
MTXA = Mental Toughness Xtra Angry!!

>>>Wheatshockers.com<<<
AngryWheat=FTW=
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Baseball