WSU to play Missouri at Kauffman this season

Discuss MVC baseball here

Postby Haha » October 10th, 2013, 1:35 pm

BASEBALL IN KANSAS CITY

Wichita State’s baseball team will play Missouri at Kauffman Stadium this spring. The schools are waiting on the contract, so no one will confirm it, but sources at both schools confirm the game is scheduled.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/10/08/304748 ... rylink=cpy
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: WSU to play Missouri at Kauffman this season

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » October 11th, 2013, 11:43 am

That's kinda cool. It seems like Kansas and Missouri have done this in the past for a midweek game. This one will probably be the same. I've always sort of hoped that they could have some kind of collegiate baseball tournament at the K before the MLB season starts. The Astros have this tournament down in Houston every year. It'd be cool to have some of the area college teams there to play each other.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby AngryShock » October 11th, 2013, 12:20 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:That's kinda cool. It seems like Kansas and Missouri have done this in the past for a midweek game. This one will probably be the same. I've always sort of hoped that they could have some kind of collegiate baseball tournament at the K before the MLB season starts. The Astros have this tournament down in Houston every year. It'd be cool to have some of the area college teams there to play each other.

I'd never thought about that. How many teams does the one in Houston have? The Big 12 could be represented by KU, KSU or ISU. The MVC by MSU or WSU. The SEC by MU. The Big 10 by Iowa or Nebraska. I assume it would kind of be like an MTE in basketball in that you'd only want one school from a conference. You could definitely have four fairly local schools involved. You may even be able to mix Arkansas into it for the SEC. I suppose you could throw CU for the Big Priest in there if need be.
WheatShockers.com
AngryShock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby JayPak » October 14th, 2013, 1:19 pm

Fantastic idea! Creighton would likely jump at the opportunity to be included in such an MTE, given the need to raise RPI in the OOC. I know there's also interest within the baseball program at continuing a 3-game series with WSU, which would be a boost to both teams' strength of schedule.

One benefit of realignment for the Valley is that Creighton can be a nearby OOC team for MTE's, as was the case in volleyball this year, when CU played in WSU's Shocker Volleyball Classic along with Hawaii and South Dakota, making it 4 teams from 4 different conferences.
"When you lose a program like Creighton, there's no sugarcoating it," Elgin said. "It's a devastating loss. They're going to go on and have success in the league they've joined..." Jeff Eisenberg, Yahoo Sports, October 10, 2013.
JayPak
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby agrinut » October 14th, 2013, 4:02 pm

JayPak wrote:Fantastic idea! Creighton would likely jump at the opportunity to be included in such an MTE, given the need to raise RPI in the OOC. I know there's also interest within the baseball program at continuing a 3-game series with WSU, which would be a boost to both teams' strength of schedule.

One benefit of realignment for the Valley is that Creighton can be a nearby OOC team for MTE's, as was the case in volleyball this year, when CU played in WSU's Shocker Volleyball Classic along with Hawaii and South Dakota, making it 4 teams from 4 different conferences.

I doubt the valley would want the drag Creighton would be on the RPI.
agrinut
All MVC
All MVC

Postby JayPak » October 17th, 2013, 3:37 pm

Considering Creighton's average end-of-season official NCAA RPI the the last 3 years was 75 (compared to Wichita's 73), it's hard to imagine any Valley foe wouldn't want the chance to play a northern school with little travel and get a top-100 win.
"When you lose a program like Creighton, there's no sugarcoating it," Elgin said. "It's a devastating loss. They're going to go on and have success in the league they've joined..." Jeff Eisenberg, Yahoo Sports, October 10, 2013.
JayPak
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby shoxrox » October 17th, 2013, 9:44 pm

JayPak wrote:Considering Creighton's average end-of-season official NCAA RPI the the last 3 years was 75 (compared to Wichita's 73), it's hard to imagine any Valley foe wouldn't want the chance to play a northern school with little travel and get a top-100 win.

That 75 is going to look like 25 after you roll right on through that powerhouse Big East baseball conference.

You'll be lucky to crack the Top 100 ever again.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby agrinut » October 17th, 2013, 9:58 pm

shoxrox wrote:
JayPak wrote:Considering Creighton's average end-of-season official NCAA RPI the the last 3 years was 75 (compared to Wichita's 73), it's hard to imagine any Valley foe wouldn't want the chance to play a northern school with little travel and get a top-100 win.

That 75 is going to look like 25 after you roll right on through that powerhouse Big East baseball conference.

You'll be lucky to crack the Top 100 ever again.

Glad someone is paying attention.
agrinut
All MVC
All MVC

Postby JayPak » October 18th, 2013, 4:13 pm

That's why Creighton would want to play WSU, obviously... the need for OOC RPI strength. But I suppose if WSU declined, Creighton could line up more games with Kansas or Kansas St., teams CU already plays every year whose RPI's were similar to and better than WSU's last year.
JayPak
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby shoxrox » October 18th, 2013, 10:59 pm

JayPak wrote:That's why Creighton would want to play WSU, obviously... the need for OOC RPI strength. But I suppose if WSU declined, Creighton could line up more games with Kansas or Kansas St., teams CU already plays every year whose RPI's were similar to and better than WSU's last year.

This post didn't even make sense. Were you trying to brag about playing KU or KSU, opponents that WSU also plays every year?

Congrats to KU and KSU on having better RPI numbers than WSU last year. Maybe if you compare everything to WSU last year, you'll make yourself feel better.

As for us, we don't need low-major baseball schools from the north on our schedule.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Baseball