SIU was rid of Barry Hinson

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: SIU was rid of Barry Hinson

Postby bonez » March 20th, 2018, 4:26 pm

bleach wrote:I am in no way a Barry Hinson supporter. He has always failed to get over the hump and is not a good coach or recruiter or scheduler. All that is accurate but, you just don't fire a guy who is at the point to have his best year there. If he fails (likely will), THEN is the time to dump him. Barry has been who he was known to be when he was hired.

Best case scenario for all is he is successful in 18-19, suckers some other program into hiring him, and SIU rebuilds with a rising star young talent. They'll be rebuilding, anyway, with the seniors they'll lose, so best to do so with the coach of the future. Likelihood: Maybe 5%.
bonez
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby KingTut » March 20th, 2018, 10:20 pm

SIU was second due to pure luck. You can't say anything positive about winning a ton of close games vs. like teams other than luckiness.

Even Porter Moser said so:
“You know how in some years you win all the close games?” Moser says of SIU, which has won two straight in overtime. “It’s uncanny.”

Look at KenPom rankings. SIU was closer to last than to first. The same with RPI, where SIU was closer to ninth than first.

This "SIU was second" storyline is pure propaganda when the league looked like it does now. The same can be said for every Hinson success at SIU. He's slightly better than a bunch of non-postseason teams, yet nowhere close to meaningful postseason berths.

SIU also had sub-2,000 crowds for consecutive games for the first time since the early 80s this season, so it's not just me and a bunch of message board nutjobs saying he needs to go.
KingTut
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Saluki1979 » March 21st, 2018, 4:33 am

Spike wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
underdawg wrote:I see the haters have migrated. It's sad they chose to associate with one of the worse trolls in SN history Spike---it's also sad when other Valley fans have to defend SIU's own coach while some so-called fans choose to ruin another board

Please let's not create a whole new world of Shocker type posters on here.

Like I said before, please drop Hinson, and with it all the talent they have returning next year. They were becoming a threat to win the conference...would love to set them back 4 more years!

That "talent" got blown out by Loyola twice and finished 5 games out of first. Their last 4 games of the season they played Loyola and 3 Thursday night teams...they lost by 30 to Evansville and needed overtime to beat two Thursday night teams, one at home. They lost to SEMO and an SLU team that actually was depleted. Louisville could have beat them by 70 if they had wanted to and not put the breaks on.

There is not much talent on the team and next year's recruiting class(if you want to call it that)-which consists of a coaches son who might not qualify, the 33rd ranked PF in Illinois whose only other offers were from two low majors, and a kid in Missouri with no other offers whose only played one year of organized basketball-is not promising.

Don't you ever let it rest? You're embarrassing the rest of us. The man has put together two 20-win seasons with what was left of a dumpster fire. Do I love Hinson? No. Do I think he deserves to be fired? No.
Saluki1979
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Fraydog » March 21st, 2018, 7:45 am

I have a reddit up and running.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SalukiNation/
Fraydog
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby SalukiHaiku » March 21st, 2018, 8:26 am

musiccitybulldog wrote:
Spike wrote:Formidable how?

7th in the league in scoring. 7th in defense. 8th in 3 pt attempts. 5th in 3 pt %. 6th in 3 pt defense. 8th in FG defense. 9th in FT%. 9th in rebounds. 6th in offensive rebounds. 10th in defensive rebounds. 8th in rebounds margin. 7th in defending rebounds. 7th in turnovers created. 7th in turnovers conceded

Barry won 20 games. Finished second in the conference to a team that is going to the Sweet 16.
To the remaining 8 teams thats formidable, if the Saluki's improve on this year, better yet.

In year 6, with WSU being swapped out for Valpo, Barry went 11-7 in the Valley. This is really something to get excited about in year 6?

And enough with the “20 wins” nonsense. Look at the Salukis non-conference slate. Per typical Hinson scheduling, the Salukis got fat off of awful, low-major teams. They couldn’t even make the conference tournament championship.
SalukiHaiku
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Spike » March 21st, 2018, 10:23 am

Saluki1979 wrote:Don't you ever let it rest? You're embarrassing the rest of us. The man has put together two 20-win seasons with what was left of a dumpster fire. Do I love Hinson? No. Do I think he deserves to be fired? No.

This year doesn't count because one of the wins was against a D2 school.

And 71% of the OOC schedules in those two seasons came against teams 200+ in the RPI. 56% overall his 6 years at SIU:

vs. RPI 1-100: 0-13
vs. RPI 101-200: 10-9
vs. RPI 201-300: 14-7
vs. RPI 300+: 16-3
Spike
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby bonez » March 21st, 2018, 10:35 am

Spike wrote:
Saluki1979 wrote:Don't you ever let it rest? You're embarrassing the rest of us. The man has put together two 20-win seasons with what was left of a dumpster fire. Do I love Hinson? No. Do I think he deserves to be fired? No.

And 71% of the OOC schedules in those two seasons came against teams 200+ in the RPI. 56% overall his 6 years at SIU:

I did this a while back but do you have the overall record (including conf) with the RPI breakdown?
bonez
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Spike » March 21st, 2018, 1:08 pm

bonez wrote:
Spike wrote:

I did this a while back but do you have the overall record (including conf) with the RPI breakdown?

vs. RPI 1-100: 8-44(1-28 vs RPI top 50)
vs. RPI 101-200: 34-32
vs. RPI 201-300: 30-17
vs. RPI 300+: 19-4
Spike
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Oledawg » March 24th, 2018, 3:23 pm

Spike wrote:This is just sad. Heartbreaking. SIU was done with Hinson. He was gone. The money was collected to buy him out and his replacement was on board. He had told his staff they were out.

The worst coaching hire in the history of the program was gone. 6 years ago SIU had a choice. Go with an unproven coach with upside or go with a coach who was let go from a school in the same conference and couldn't even find an assistant position after the fact.

Hinson is one of the worst recruiters in college basketball. He is an at best mediocre in game coach. He puts some of the worst schedules imaginable together to pad his win total, and he has a long career of empty 20 win seasons with resumes that aren't even NIT worthy.

SIU was done with him. We were finally done. The guy who should have never been hired in the first place was gone.

And somehow he got one more year for reasons no one can understand.

Evansville and Missouri State made smart decisions. SIU doubled down on the worst decision it ever made.
Spike, your buzz kill attitude is what is sad. You bash the Valley. I’ve NEVER heard you say anything good about the league or it’s players. You repeatedly slammed Loyola coming to the league. You act as if most SIU recruits should be playing D2. You claimed you were a scout for the Florida Marlins. Quite simply you’re a turd. I have been reading your posts for 10 years and HAVE never seen you say a good thing about SIU basketball. Why do you choose to come to this board and pollute it with your @#$&! You and your buddies just helped Saluki Nation shut down.
Oledawg
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Oledawg » March 24th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Fraydog wrote:I have a reddit up and running.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SalukiNation/
go post on it.
Oledawg
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball