SIU was rid of Barry Hinson

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Spike » March 20th, 2018, 8:44 am

This is just sad. Heartbreaking. SIU was done with Hinson. He was gone. The money was collected to buy him out and his replacement was on board. He had told his staff they were out.

The worst coaching hire in the history of the program was gone. 6 years ago SIU had a choice. Go with an unproven coach with upside or go with a coach who was let go from a school in the same conference and couldn't even find an assistant position after the fact.

Hinson is one of the worst recruiters in college basketball. He is an at best mediocre in game coach. He puts some of the worst schedules imaginable together to pad his win total, and he has a long career of empty 20 win seasons with resumes that aren't even NIT worthy.

SIU was done with him. We were finally done. The guy who should have never been hired in the first place was gone.

And somehow he got one more year for reasons no one can understand.

Evansville and Missouri State made smart decisions. SIU doubled down on the worst decision it ever made.
Spike
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: SIU was rid of Barry Hinson

Postby BuBrave2006 » March 20th, 2018, 8:51 am

Didn't he just finish second in the Valley with six and a half players? ...and isn't everyone coming back for next season? I'm confused why so many SIU fans would choose "now" of all times to want to get rid of him, especially when you look at the massive rebuilding projects that look to be coming at Evansville and Missouri St (and the one Bradley is still in). Firing your coach now a days can potentially set you back a lot further than it used to.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » March 20th, 2018, 8:53 am

BuBrave2006 wrote:Didn't he just finish second in the Valley with six and a half players? ...and isn't everyone coming back for next season? I'm confused why so many SIU fans would choose "now" of all times to want to get rid of him, especially when you look at the massive rebuilding projects that look to be coming at Evansville and Missouri St (and the one Bradley is still in). Firing your coach now a days can potentially set you back a lot further than it used to.

Yes. This makes no sense.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 20th, 2018, 8:58 am

For “one of the worst recruiters in college basketball” and “at best mediocre in game coach” he’s sure taken them from 8-23 265 RPI in APR hell to 95 RPI with 6 1/2 players. SIU passed 170 teams in 6 years under Hinson and the best is yet to come. :buddies:
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby hot nuts » March 20th, 2018, 9:05 am

:huh:
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Fraydog » March 20th, 2018, 9:37 am

:Beer: :Beer: :Beer:
Last edited by Fraydog on March 20th, 2018, 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fraydog
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 20th, 2018, 9:51 am

Yes, by all means get rid of Hinson NOW. Clearly, my Redbirds need an easier path to winning Arch Madness and firing Hinson will surely rid SIU of Pippen and Thik Bol (who both would transfer) to make that path easier.

I love this idea....clean house. Start over!!!

Is Chris Lowery available? Hire him. Please!

:roll: :roll:
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Fraydog » March 20th, 2018, 9:57 am

:Beer: :Beer: :Beer:
Last edited by Fraydog on March 20th, 2018, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fraydog
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 20th, 2018, 9:58 am

Fraydog wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:Yes, by all means get rid of Hinson NOW. Clearly, my Redbirds need an easier path to winning Arch Madness and firing Hinson will surely rid SIU of Pippen and Thik Bol (who both would transfer) to make that path easier.

I love this idea....clean house. Start over!!!

Is Chris Lowery available? Hire him. Please!

:roll: :roll:

Considering your school knocked us out of the MVC tournament the last two years, Hinson isn't beating Muller when it counts.

We won all the close games this year in the conference except the ones against ISU.

Sounds good, let's ignore the fact that Fayne went off on SIU only when Pippen fouled out. He keeps playing, we lose.

But, sure I am on board with you......FIRE HINSON
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby skinny_uncle » March 20th, 2018, 10:10 am

There are a small group of SIU posters who consider anything short of a conference title "mediocrity".
skinny_uncle
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball