SIU was rid of Barry Hinson

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: SIU was rid of Barry Hinson

Postby BCPanther » March 20th, 2018, 12:15 pm

siudawgs wrote:I don’t have the energy to rehash the debates that have raged on the now defunct Saluki message board for years, but anyone who thinks Barry Hinson has done a good job at SIU doesn’t know as much about the situation as they think they do. Six years without so much as an NIT. No marquee wins. Awful scheduling. Pisspoor class balance. And he’s lost most of the fan base (see lagging attendance and recent social media poll of more than 1,200 participants, in which 70% said they wanted a change now.
The fact that SIU might have blown a chance to hire Bryan Mullins adds insult to injury.

Yeah, there isn't anything you can really do about that once the ball is already rolling and its nothing resembling an excuse to fire a coach. UNI is STILL way imbalanced from the Sam Weaver days and no matter what happens, its not going to change.

I believe Illinois State is in the same boat.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Spike » March 20th, 2018, 12:33 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
underdawg wrote:I see the haters have migrated. It's sad they chose to associate with one of the worse trolls in SN history Spike---it's also sad when other Valley fans have to defend SIU's own coach while some so-called fans choose to ruin another board

Please let's not create a whole new world of Shocker type posters on here.

Like I said before, please drop Hinson, and with it all the talent they have returning next year. They were becoming a threat to win the conference...would love to set them back 4 more years!

That "talent" got blown out by Loyola twice and finished 5 games out of first. Their last 4 games of the season they played Loyola and 3 Thursday night teams...they lost by 30 to Evansville and needed overtime to beat two Thursday night teams, one at home. They lost to SEMO and an SLU team that actually was depleted. Louisville could have beat them by 70 if they had wanted to and not put the breaks on.

There is not much talent on the team and next year's recruiting class(if you want to call it that)-which consists of a coaches son who might not qualify, the 33rd ranked PF in Illinois whose only other offers were from two low majors, and a kid in Missouri with no other offers whose only played one year of organized basketball-is not promising.
Spike
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby musiccitybulldog » March 20th, 2018, 12:53 pm

I think some people listen to sports radio too much. There is usually a screaming 20+ year old on the shows who screams about every subject and in basketball any team that doesn't go to the final four is a disaster and needs to fire the coach. At least that is how it seems to me.

Barry put together a formidable team even with some injuries. SIU could do a lot worse.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Spike » March 20th, 2018, 1:07 pm

Formidable how?

7th in the league in scoring. 7th in defense. 8th in 3 pt attempts. 5th in 3 pt %. 6th in 3 pt defense. 8th in FG defense. 9th in FT%. 9th in rebounds. 6th in offensive rebounds. 10th in defensive rebounds. 8th in rebounds margin. 7th in defending rebounds. 7th in turnovers created. 7th in turnovers conceded
Spike
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby cpacmel » March 20th, 2018, 1:30 pm

There is not much talent on the team and next year's recruiting class(if you want to call it that)-which consists of a coaches son who might not qualify, the 33rd ranked PF in Illinois whose only other offers were from two low majors, and a kid in Missouri with no other offers whose only played one year of organized basketball-is not promising.

If you want to send Fletcher and Pippen to B/N we’ll gladly take them. Those guys are plenty talented in my eyes.
Last edited by cpacmel on March 20th, 2018, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 20th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Spike wrote:Formidable how?

7th in the league in scoring. 7th in defense. 8th in 3 pt attempts. 5th in 3 pt %. 6th in 3 pt defense. 8th in FG defense. 9th in FT%. 9th in rebounds. 6th in offensive rebounds. 10th in defensive rebounds. 8th in rebounds margin. 7th in defending rebounds. 7th in turnovers created. 7th in turnovers conceded

I am so so so happy you are not a Redbird fan.

#FireHinson
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » March 20th, 2018, 1:38 pm

Spike wrote:Formidable how?

Barry won 20 games. Finished second in the conference to a team that is going to the Sweet 16.
To the remaining 8 teams thats formidable, if the Saluki's improve on this year, better yet.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Braves4Life » March 20th, 2018, 2:01 pm

Bradley fans will understand this. It explains a lot about a small faction of the Southern fan base. :roll:

Braves4Life
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby bleach » March 20th, 2018, 2:18 pm

I am in no way a Barry Hinson supporter. He has always failed to get over the hump and is not a good coach or recruiter or scheduler. All that is accurate but, you just don't fire a guy who is at the point to have his best year there. If he fails (likely will), THEN is the time to dump him. Barry has been who he was known to be when he was hired.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bonez » March 20th, 2018, 4:22 pm

Bradley, Illinois State, Drake fans are dumbfounded the SIU fans want Barry gone. There is radio silence from Springfield, MO, where the long-time fans know and nod in sympathy.
bonez
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball