Sounds like Wichita St to the AAC... Who gets an Invite?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Sounds like Wichita St to the AAC... Who gets an Invite?

Postby MidWestMidMajor » March 29th, 2017, 8:37 pm

I just read the interview with the AD from SDSU in today's Sioux Falls Argus Leader. Obviously a lot of AD "political speak". But it confirms to me that they really like where they are at conference-wise with the Summit and having the basketball tournament in their backyard.

I just don't see a Dakota team coming to the MVC.

If you are interested:
http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports ... /99764622/
MidWestMidMajor
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aargh » March 29th, 2017, 8:59 pm

The Valley does not have a history of replacing departing members with quality replacements. For many years, adding teams that had recently upgraded to D1 from a lower level worked because the Valley was still strong enough that those schools received a huge boost by being invited to the Valley.

That ship has sailed. Adding Loyola continued the trend of adding weak programs to replace strong programs that left. Doing that for the past 40 years has caught up with the Valley. Now adding UMKC, or UNO, or SIU-E or Illinois-Chicago, or any of the directional Illinois schools is actually a possibility.

The Valley isn't in a position to attract the top schools from other conferences in the area. A poster on the Bradley board pretty much nailed what the Valley needs to become. Minimize expenses and get the smallest possible footprint to reduce travel costs. MSU to the Sun Belt is starting to sound like a great move for them.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » March 30th, 2017, 12:52 am

Aargh wrote:The Valley does not have a history of replacing departing members with quality replacements. For many years, adding teams that had recently upgraded to D1 from a lower level worked because the Valley was still strong enough that those schools received a huge boost by being invited to the Valley.

That ship has sailed. Adding Loyola continued the trend of adding weak programs to replace strong programs that left. Doing that for the past 40 years has caught up with the Valley. Now adding UMKC, or UNO, or SIU-E or Illinois-Chicago, or any of the directional Illinois schools is actually a possibility.

The Valley isn't in a position to attract the top schools from other conferences in the area. A poster on the Bradley board pretty much nailed what the Valley needs to become. Minimize expenses and get the smallest possible footprint to reduce travel costs. MSU to the Sun Belt is starting to sound like a great move for them.

buh? I don't think I've seen discussion on the Bradley board about cost considerations...I think the consensus from our fan base is we want the strongest basketball possible, and that we're really angry because we're supposed to be a lot better with our resources.

Of course part of the problem is that I'm not even sure there's consensus on the best option for strengthening the league.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby VU2014 » March 30th, 2017, 7:39 am

Aargh wrote:The Valley does not have a history of replacing departing members with quality replacements. For many years, adding teams that had recently upgraded to D1 from a lower level worked because the Valley was still strong enough that those schools received a huge boost by being invited to the Valley.

I'm not sure I'd consider UMKC, or UNO, or SIU-E or Illinois-Chicago directional schools. They are just sort of adding mediocre team to the conference, imo. Can't settle for developing programs that you think may be decent.

The Valley should have added Valpo over Loyola and then this time around maybe should add UIC. Even though UIC is already seeing some of the young talented guys leave that roster. Their defensive rock Tai Odiase is going to be graduating after next season. UIC is led by Steve McClain. Great recruiter but not exactly a great coach, and really UIC hasn't been good for quite sometime.

I think like the Mid-Madness article said the best option comes from one of Belmont, SLU and Valpo. Only way you land SLU is if you get all 3 coming the conference at the same time. Would instantly make the Conf an elite Mid-Major Conference again.

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/3/2 ... y-shockers
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby unipanther99 » March 30th, 2017, 8:15 am

MidWestMidMajor wrote:I just read the interview with the AD from SDSU in today's Sioux Falls Argus Leader. Obviously a lot of AD "political speak". But it confirms to me that they really like where they are at conference-wise with the Summit and having the basketball tournament in their backyard.

If you are interested:

Interesting read, and it makes some sense from their perspective. For a school that has never earned an at-large bid, the location of the conference tournament is necessarily very important. We need a school (or schools) that strive to earn at-large bids.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby tribecalledquest » March 30th, 2017, 9:07 am

glm38 wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:
chitown fanatic wrote:As weak as the valley was this year, next year will be the weakest its ever been. UNI, ISU,Loyola and MSU all look to be taking steps backward next year. BU could crack top 3, mostly because the teams above them lose so much. Its WSU and nobody even close after that.

I will never be very bold as long as Lusk is the HC, but MSU does not look to be taking a step back. We have every starter back except Miller, but likely get Rousseau to replace him who is better anyway. We get Williams off a RS year and he was a top 100-150 recruit and also add Scurry who is different but perhaps comparable to Johnson. His stats coming out of juco are almost identical. My guess is we are picked no worse than 3rd or 4th, perhaps even second. Again, talent isn't everything when you have a less than mediocre coach, but MSU has some players.

Agree regarding our Bears. Even with Lusk at the helm we should be better. I liked Miller in some ways. He was a gutsy player. But honestly he shot us out of as many games as he helped us win. And he was a defensive liability.

I would think we would be picked second or third. But that's underachieving for this group of players IMO. And like you I'm not convinced Lusk won't find some way to screw that up and we finish at around 500 again.

If the Shox are there MSU is preseason second...if not, they are first.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » March 30th, 2017, 9:07 am

unipanther99 wrote:
MidWestMidMajor wrote:I just read the interview with the AD from SDSU in today's Sioux Falls Argus Leader. Obviously a lot of AD "political speak". But it confirms to me that they really like where they are at conference-wise with the Summit and having the basketball tournament in their backyard.

If you are interested:

Interesting read, and it makes some sense from their perspective. For a school that has never earned an at-large bid, the location of the conference tournament is necessarily very important. We need a school (or schools) that strive to earn at-large bids.

Agreed. Doesn't make a lot of sense for the Dakota schools to join the Valley.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » March 30th, 2017, 9:09 am

municup14 wrote:So,why is the AAC talking about expanding their conference with Wichita.
But,our conference commissioner has been silent on what our conference
Would do if they left :huh:

Just because he isn't commenting on it publicly doesn't mean he/they aren't moving forward were the Shox to leave.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » March 30th, 2017, 10:22 am

Just add another school from anywhere in Illinois and change the name of the conference to the "Illinois Valley Conference".
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » March 30th, 2017, 3:22 pm

I'd say play with 9 for a year. Schedule multiple non-conf games with schools interested, both and home and on the road. See which programs stand out the most, fans show up, travel issues that are involved, etc.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball