What's the holdup?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: What's the holdup?

Postby Stickboy46 » May 22nd, 2017, 12:07 pm

uniftw wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
Does the MVC? WSU just accepted a move with baseball still playing ...

Does the MVC have a spine?

Point taken.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » May 22nd, 2017, 12:27 pm

ValpoTX wrote:I really don't think that the HL would allow our teams to play in the conference tournament, in spite of giving them $30k-$50k to do so, as you suggest. For them, it is more of an issue to have an officially departing team representing your conference on their way out. We can agree to disagree here, but I support the approach that we are taking.

It's not that they wouldn't let them. Most conference still let a leaving school.

It's that they can't get the AQ. Thus if a school that is leaving, and can't get the AQ, makes the title game and wins the other team gets the bid.

It can create really bad situations, especially because you're costing teams on that side of the bracket, their shot. However, it's happened. It happens a lot with APR bans in the SWAC/MEAC
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VU2014 » May 22nd, 2017, 1:33 pm

Pathfinder wrote:
ValpoTX wrote:The exit fee would not be higher if the postseason ban rule wasn't in play. The conference already upped their exit fee from $100k to $500k when Butler left the conference on short notice. It is normal to take this approach. I can think of one school that left their conference with a 1-2 year notice during this realignment period, and their athletes played what amounted to lame duck seasons because of it. Anyone that tries to make the argument that it is unethical not to tell your conference that you are leaving as soon as you know about it, has no clue regarding college athletics.

The exit fee just amounts to a 'bitter ex's revenge' type of requirement by a conference, and is not used to compensate anything that damages the league. The league compensates with scheduling gaps just fine without any financial issues.

Of course the exit fee would be higher without the postseason ban. Why do you think conferences impose an exit fee? It's to discourage schools from leaving. Why do you think they impose a post-season ban on schools that are leaving? It's to discourage schools from leaving. You might say "no, it's because they don't want to send teams that are leaving on to represent the conference." Same thing. It raises the cost of leaving. The cost of changing leagues is the total cost of changing leagues. Don't want to cheat your athletes? Offer to pay an additional $30,000 or $50,000 or whatever is needed in exit fees for the right to participate in the conference tournament and represent the conference in the NCAAs. The Horizon's cheap and easily bought.

I think of conference exit fees less a bitter ex's revenge than as a pre-nup. You agreed to it, live with it. I don't know that Valpo's behavior is unethical, but someone use the phrase that others (meaning me) are being "holier than thou." No, it's the Valpo fans who started saying, "well, of course we're leaving, we just have to be duplicitous about it because the Horizon League has this "petty" rule. Yeah, rules always seem "petty" when you no longer want to live by them.

Valpo's making the move up. Good for Valpo. But at least own up to it. You're like the guy who's planning to break up with his mate for a better looking woman, but first wants one more night of great sex, then he'll tell her.

No offense but this whole discussion is pretty dumb... I'm not sure there is anything to "own up to"...

Yes we are doing what is best for our student athletes just as your University would very likely do the same if you were in this situation and I would not begrudge UNI for doing the same.

This whole conversation just seems a bit pointless and making a mountain out of a molehill about something. The HL offices and all the presidents have privately known we were leaving.
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby C0|db|00ded » May 22nd, 2017, 2:05 pm

[quote="Stickboy46"][quote="uniftw"][quote="Pathfinder"][quote="VU2014"]As you uniftw said, Valpo can't officially accept an invitation officially till they are finished up with Baseball.

The Horizon League has petty By-Laws saying they can pull any schools teams from post-season play once they publicly state their intentions to leave the Conference.

Valpo is 100% moving to the MVC and leaving the HL. They just can't publicly accept yet or have a press conference or anything yet. There is pretty much a gag-order from Valpo's people from publicly addressing it.[/quote]
Seems to me less a "petty bylaw" of the Horizon League than petty, dishonest behavior by Valpo.[/quote]
Every single conference has that by law and every single school leaving a conference does the same thing.[/quote]

Does the MVC? WSU just accepted a move with baseball still playing ...[/quote]

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

No one in Wichita is concerned about the odd chance that Shocker Baseball gets banned from postseason play... as if we were going to be invited.

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » May 22nd, 2017, 2:12 pm

VU2014 wrote:
No offense but this whole discussion is pretty dumb... I'm not sure there is anything to "own up to"...

Yes we are doing what is best for our student athletes just as your University would very likely do the same if you were in this situation and I would not begrudge UNI for doing the same.

This whole conversation just seems a bit pointless and making a mountain out of a molehill about something. The HL offices and all the presidents have privately known we were leaving.

I'm not sure Pathfinder is a UNI fan.

5 posts. All about Valpo and/or UWM
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VU2014 » May 22nd, 2017, 2:35 pm

uniftw wrote:
VU2014 wrote:

Gotcha, Good catch.
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby VU2014 » May 22nd, 2017, 3:00 pm

"Rumblings from Valpo that school will act quickly on MVC invitation after @ValpoBaseball either wins or is eliminated from Horizon tourney." -Paul Oren

"Valparaiso will play Oakland at noon on Wednesday in an elimination game. First round is single elimination, then moves to double." -Paul Oren

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/866711184950644736
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/866711715546890240
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Pathfinder » May 24th, 2017, 4:37 am

uniftw wrote:
VU2014 wrote:

UNI is the greatest basketball program in collegiate history. :dance:
Pathfinder
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby VU2014 » May 24th, 2017, 1:54 pm

Valpo Baseball has just been eliminated from the Horizon League Tournament.

Look for news/press-conference annoucement about Valpo accepting the MVC invitation to come very soon...
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby VU2014 » May 24th, 2017, 7:52 pm

"Expect an @ValpoBasketball announcement about joining @ValleyHoops Thursday. We should be back to 10 teams by then." -Harry Schroeder (Valley Hoops Insider) @FatherHarry1

https://twitter.com/FatherHarry1/status ... 8729476096
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball