Scheduling

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Scheduling

Postby VUGrad1314 » June 27th, 2017, 12:16 am

AndShock wrote:
Mikovio wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:From an actual MVC AD:
“Wichita State was an outlier in our conference because the Koch brothers supplied it with such an unlimited amount of resources. Wichita was operating in a different strata and that gave them an entrenched advantage. Everybody knew they’d win the conference every year and it made it more difficult to build solid programs. So losing them was a big plus for the rest of us.”

With losers like that bringing giant loser mentalities to the table, no wonder no one could compete. I thought more of Bradley's athletic department until I read that.

No other Valley schools have billionaire sugar daddies. And billionaire sugar daddies aren't matched by "gumption" or "sticktoitiveness." Wichita offers perks out of reach for other Valley schools. It could definitely be discouraging for an Indiana State with 25% of the budget of a conference mate. Most schools go into their conference tournament with some hope for an auto bid; not so much in the Valley the last few years.

Maybe some gumption and sticktoitiveness could turn Indiana State into a revenue generating machine down the road, but tell that to the senior whose career ends in St Louis in March.

BTW that's Bradley president Gary Roberts, former dean of Indiana University law school and leading national sports expert.

https://www.bradley.edu/inthespotlight/ ... 97cf30343b
Roberts has continued to practice law part-time throughout his academic career with a focus on antitrust and sports law. He has been a frequent commentator on broadcast and in print media on sports-related legal and business issues. He was the on-air legal analyst for the NFL network and a lead analyst for other national media outlets during the National Football League lockout in 2011. He has testified before Congressional Committees on nine occasions on sports matters.

Different mindsets I guess. Kentucky certainly has way more advantages and resources than we do but when we get them in March I want us to beat the s*** out of them. When they beat WSU I don't whine about how unfair their inherent advantages are, I want us to play them next year and get another shot. I'm sure Gregg and the team feels the exact same way.

You're taking the perspective of a fan and applying it to university presidents and ADs who have to deal with finances and budgetary realities. These two things don't inhabit the same sphere, so this perspective is not an appropriate frame of reference for this discussion. I'm sure as supporters of the universities fans and administrators are in lockstep on the issue of whether they'd like to beat the top dog; but the administrators know as the fans do as well to some degree that it's a very tall order.Just because you don't care about the advantages certain schools have doesn't mean they don't exist.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Play Angry » June 27th, 2017, 9:22 am

Loyola's endowment is larger than half of the rest of the league combined. If there is any member in the league whose performance is crap and budget is embarrassing because they "don't care" (I wouldn't apply this to any other member), it is clearly them.

"Not all of us have charter planes" etc. etc. etc. doesn't work when you could, in fact, easily have charter planes with the resources at hand. Quotes like that are legit defenses for fans of Indiana State, not for Loyola.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » June 27th, 2017, 9:36 am

Gotta love Shocker fans just hovering, waiting to pounce.

As for budgetary differences, all schools need to increase their basketball budgets to, at a minimum,$3 million each. I don't care the circumstances of the school. This should be a requirement of the MVC as much as scheduling.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Lusuperfan1 » June 27th, 2017, 9:36 am

Trust me, we wanted to beat up on you guys every time we met. But the difference between Kentucky and WSU (which quite frankly operates at the financial level of a very healthy P5 program) is much smaller than the difference between WSU and any other school in this conference.

That said July 1 can't come around soon enough.
Lusuperfan1
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Lusuperfan1 » June 27th, 2017, 9:40 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:As for budgetary differences, all schools need to increase their basketball budgets to, at a minimum,$3 million each. I don't care the circumstances of the school. This should be a requirement of the MVC as much as scheduling.

For the record, I wouldn't mind either although I preface that by saying I'm one of the fan bases' more skeptical members regarding our current administration's ability to turn the program around.
Lusuperfan1
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Blers » June 27th, 2017, 11:10 am

Well none of the coaches have charter planes anymore in the MVC... so it's really a moot point.

Would love to see schools as a whole needs to invest more in their programs (especially LU). My understanding from someone with knowledge on the Rambler board was that budget increases for us were coming, then the school hit a ten million dollar hole with that MAP Grants not being funded. Rather than force students to pay for the scholarships they were promised by the states out of pocket the university chose to cover students, which in turn affected athletics (the right choice).

I'd love to see money come from the big endowment and go to athletics, but schools generally don't want to pay out of the endowment (there's a lot of reasons why, but the gist is if you're siphoning money from the endowment fund, the university is likely in trouble). That said it could be argued if you invest enough, you eventually get a return and make more money... I don't know.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » June 28th, 2017, 11:41 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:As for budgetary differences, all schools need to increase their basketball budgets to, at a minimum,$3 million each. I don't care the circumstances of the school. This should be a requirement of the MVC as much as scheduling.

BirdsEyeView: WSU fans are all meanies for saying other Valley programs need to invest more. WSU is just lucky to have a rich guy footing the bill.

BIrdsEyeView 3 hours later: All Valley schools must increase their investment, regardless of circumstances, and it should be mandated.

You can't make this stuff up!
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » June 28th, 2017, 12:59 pm

Cdizzle wrote:

BirdsEyeView: WSU fans are all meanies for saying other Valley programs need to invest more. WSU is just lucky to have a rich guy footing the bill.

BIrdsEyeView 3 hours later: All Valley schools must increase their investment, regardless of circumstances, and it should be mandated.

You can't make this stuff up!

You're truly an idiot. I have seen you on here since I posted that. Just couldn't think of something to say until now, Huh? It's okay not everyone is quick witted...

As for your comments, I never said the first part, only stating you have an emergency fund of deep pockets other Valley schools don't have. Nothing about Valley programs, only about your deep pockets.

What I do believe is all schools need to increase their basketball budgets over $3 million mark, not $6 million or whatever Wichita operates at.

These are mutually exclusive topics and the 2nd part was never brought up in the previous argument.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » June 28th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Since you have trouble remembering what you have written, seemingly the minute you write it, I'll continue to help.

Birdseyeview: "Gotta love Shocker fans just hovering, waiting to pounce."

Birdseyeview: "I have seen you on here since I posted that. Just couldn't think of something to say until now, Huh? It's okay not everyone is quick witted..."

Truly, thy hypocrisy knows no bounds. I'll let you rate my response time on your idiot-scale. Apparently either end reads "WSU fans are terrible."
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » June 28th, 2017, 3:12 pm

Cdizzle wrote:Since you have trouble remembering what you have written, seemingly the minute you write it, I'll continue to help.

Birdseyeview: "Gotta love Shocker fans just hovering, waiting to pounce."

Birdseyeview: "I have seen you on here since I posted that. Just couldn't think of something to say until now, Huh? It's okay not everyone is quick witted..."

Truly, thy hypocrisy knows no bounds. I'll let you rate my response time on your idiot-scale. Apparently either end reads "WSU fans are terrible."

What does that have to do with your claim before?? I see you have moved on from your statement since it did not apply. Well done, dumba**

As for this NEW claim, I am not waiting to pounce on anything, I'm just reading the board and see you online....so how are those two statements hypocrisy??

Meanwhile, since you announced your Shockers are leaving the conference,you guys come in here guns a blazing looking for any opportunity to attack the "inferior" MVC whenever possible. That fact is true. We are tired of you. Go away. Your new message board awaits. Please leave.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball