College Sports Madness Top 144

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: College Sports Madness Top 144

Postby glm38 » July 22nd, 2017, 9:21 am

Play Angry wrote:UNI in the 130s and MSU in the 120s strike me as overly pessimistic (or at least I hope that is the case). I picture the Top 3 or 4 hovering between 75 and the 110s, with another couple in the 120 - 140s range.

I understand general skepticism of MSU though given Lusk's knack for underperformance whenever the team has looked ready to take the next step. I just think Johnson is that good.

I agree Johnson is that good. How sad would it be if MSU underperformed again and his talent just goes to waste for the two years he was at MSU and in the MVC.

I also REALLY like our roster. If Lusk can't win big with this roster he never will.

I do like Loyolas team as well. I like our roster better but I have more faith in Moser as a coach than Lusk.

Should be an interesting season.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 22nd, 2017, 6:35 pm

I agree that the rankings seem unfairly pessimistic for MVC schools. I firmly believe that Missouri State ISUr Loyola Valpo UNI SIU and Bradley all have top 100 potential. That isn't saying they'll all get there, only that it shouldn't surprise anyone if they do. Obviously each of these teams has warts and those flaws could keep them from reaching that this year. Some may be hindered by coaching,some by turnover, some may need another year or so to complete their rebuilds and recoveries or transitions but I don't think it's too far fetched to start seeing the MVC kick some major butt and return to national prominence in 2018-2019 and beyond.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Make MVC Great Again » July 31st, 2017, 11:30 am

Lusuperfan1 wrote:
Make MVC Great Again wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:I just don't get the Loyola love. I think they'll be up there but I don't think they'll be number one. I get why msu should be number one but I also get why people question whether they will be. I think SIU is underrated and ready to take a step forward. Valpo, while good, lost their best player and I don't see them truly being a contender. I also think they'll struggle more in a new league. Same for UNI. ILSU always seems to put a good team on the floor since muller has taken over but they have so much turnover it's hard to really know how they'll turn out. Really it's all up to msu. If they play like they should they will run away with it. If not, loyola, SIU, ILSU could all take it. I think Bradley is another year away.

MSU
ILSU
SIU
Loyola (We had Porter Moser as our coach. I don't think he can do it. I've seen it first hand and have no faith in the guy. That's why they're here.)
UNI
Valpo
Bradley
Drake
INSU
Evansville

Really, the first four are interchangable. Then the next three are interchangable. Then 8/9 are interchangable. Sorry, Evansville. You're in the cellar this year.

Completely agree here!!!!!!

Loyola might be the most overhyped team in the history of the league. This is a team that lost to Drake with an interim coach just a few weeks into the job, and also lost to Evansville, should have been twice to the Aces. And oh yeah these clowns lost to Southern three times last year, THREE TIMES, the hat trick.

Missouri State by far and away the favorites. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Welcome back troll! We missed you. At least we're apparently moving up your predictions all the way to number 4! :D :Yea!:

My official prediction will be later in the Fall.
Make MVC Great Again
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Make MVC Great Again » July 31st, 2017, 11:33 am

Rambler63 wrote:It's either disdain for urban areas (my guess), jealousy, or hatred of Catholics.

Politically, there has never been a bigger disparity in voting between urban areas and rural areas. In 2009, many Republicans openly rooted for Chicago to lose their Olympic bid because Obama happened to be from there, and many people wanted a setback for the Democratic President more than they cared about the United States having an Olympics. Because Obama was from Chicago, there was a concerted, relentless line of suggestion on political talk radio about Chicago's crime rate ("Why hasn't Obama done anything about crime in Chicago??!??!") and "Chicago" became political shorthand for liberal Democrats and their terrible way of doing things.

As it turns out, many cities-- including Mike Pence's most recent home town, Indianapolis, and the MVC headquarters of St. Louis-- have much worse crime rates and violence per capita than Chicago does. Where is the outrage for Pence? Hatred of Butler? Rejection of SLU as an MVC add?

Within the state of Illinois, Chicago is also often blamed politically for everything wrong. When I first moved to Normal in 2007, there were a lot of letters to the editor in the Pantagraph about separating Chicago, or everything north of I-80, from the rest of Illinois. Many people correctly responded that it would instantly make downstate Illinois into a slightly larger, flattter, uglier West Virginia.

Look, I'm the first to admit that Loyola has some problems. We need to raise our athletic budget and especially our men's baksetball budget. We need to get more aggressive and professional about marketing. We need to figure out how to monitize and memorialize our men's basketball national championship and expand the winning attitude and philosophy of our two consecutive men's volleyball national championships (2014, 2015) and our nationally-ranked men's soccer team from last year.

But the knee-jerk hatred for Loyola doesn't make any sense at all, unless you examine it in the political sense. Loyola was THE BEST ADD POSSIBLE when Creighton left, and only a few years later, Loyola is one of the best hopes for keeping the Missouri Valley Conference a vital and relevant conference.

And lastly, I invite all the folks who REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hate Loyola to have a couple of drinks at sunset during the summer at a sidewalk cafe just south of campus-- with a breeze blowing off the lake, the El going past with office workers headed home, the smell of Chicago pizza in the air, and some beautiful tannned women reading their email while walking their dogs. If you still hate us then, the real problem is in the mirror.

Objectifying women to promote a college campus, nice job. The Loyola difference.
Make MVC Great Again
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Lusuperfan1 » August 2nd, 2017, 7:49 am

Much to the chagrin of Make MVC Great Again (who would probably prefer some Wichita middle school in the valley over us), Loyola comes in at 100 and the projected conference champion. I thought the preview was solid, fair about Moser's inability to win, although I think it overrated Custer and underrated Krutwig. But the biggest takeaway is that the top of the league is wide open and LU has as legitimate of a claim to it as anybody. I don't think we or anyone else is the "team to beat" like WSU. But my expectations for Loyola are still pretty high.
Lusuperfan1
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » August 2nd, 2017, 8:14 am

Lusuperfan1 wrote:Much to the chagrin of Make MVC Great Again (who would probably prefer some Wichita middle school in the valley over us), Loyola comes in at 100 and the projected conference champion. I thought the preview was solid, fair about Moser's inability to win, although I think it overrated Custer and underrated Krutwig. But the biggest takeaway is that the top of the league is wide open and LU has as legitimate of a claim to it as anybody. I don't think we or anyone else is the "team to beat" like WSU. But my expectations for Loyola are still pretty high.

Loyola doesn't win based upon every expert.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby goramblers2011 » August 2nd, 2017, 9:15 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Lusuperfan1 wrote:Much to the chagrin of Make MVC Great Again (who would probably prefer some Wichita middle school in the valley over us), Loyola comes in at 100 and the projected conference champion. I thought the preview was solid, fair about Moser's inability to win, although I think it overrated Custer and underrated Krutwig. But the biggest takeaway is that the top of the league is wide open and LU has as legitimate of a claim to it as anybody. I don't think we or anyone else is the "team to beat" like WSU. But my expectations for Loyola are still pretty high.

Loyola doesn't win based upon every expert.

What are you trying to say here? That no expert has predicted Loyola to win? :huh:
goramblers2011
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » August 2nd, 2017, 9:28 am

Some have Loyola winning. Some have ILSU winning. Haven't seen an MSU yet. Surprising.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mule » August 2nd, 2017, 9:31 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Some have Loyola winning. Some have ILSU winning. Haven't seen an MSU yet. Surprising.

Doesn't this mean that it is a wide open league this year, like every expert has predicted.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Blers » August 2nd, 2017, 1:58 pm

Leagues wide open this year. I'm with Superfan, i'm pretty high on are teams potential but it's only potential at this point; and i don't think many other teams in the Valley are slouching either. I see 4 teams that could be in the running for first, potentially 5 depending on how Valpo's additions go. Then beyond that i think there are 7 really solid teams in the league this year. One will be looking from the outside come STL. Should be a fun season.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball