MVC coaches and the coaching carousel

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC coaches and the coaching carousel

Postby Redhawk » January 22nd, 2018, 4:18 pm

Blers wrote:Chastain is tricky with his knees; having already had 3 major surgeries. I loved his potential at LU. Clarence has a super high ceiling... is Copeland a guarantee to come back next year? I also agree holding onto Yarborough is key. Regardless of the new transfer rule he’d probably be able to grad transfer for instant eligibility.... from the outside looking in it seems him and Muller don’t have the best relationship... I’d be curious to hear what redbird fans think!

Chastian won't be counted on for much next year.
Clarance is just starting to show some of his potential after a late start due to injuries.
Copeland was cleared to practice with the team in Mid December. Will be a major factor next two seasons.
(2) 6' 9" bigs coming in next year
No clue on Yarbrough's future at ISU.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Blers » January 22nd, 2018, 4:57 pm

Redhawk wrote:
Blers wrote:Chastain is tricky with his knees; having already had 3 major surgeries. I loved his potential at LU. Clarence has a super high ceiling... is Copeland a guarantee to come back next year? I also agree holding onto Yarborough is key. Regardless of the new transfer rule he’d probably be able to grad transfer for instant eligibility.... from the outside looking in it seems him and Muller don’t have the best relationship... I’d be curious to hear what redbird fans think!

Clarance is just starting to show some of his potential after a late start due to injuries.
Copeland was cleared to practice with the team in Mid December. Will be a major factor next two seasons.

Copeland sounds like he's a big time time player so having him being back I'd definitely expect ISUr to be a contender
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby underdawg » January 22nd, 2018, 9:10 pm

SIU will have the best and the worse of all worlds: 6-8 preseason All-MVC pick Thik Bol (gets extra year because of injury), 6-10 Kavion Pippen, 6-3 Eric McGill who gets extra year because of wrist injury, 6-5 PG Marcus Bartley, 6-5 Sean Lloyd, 6-5 Armon Fletcher, 6-3 Aaron Cook --all of whom have played big minutes when healthy will all be back--the bad news is that 5 will be seniors and two juniors. Only three true frosh next year so in 2020-21 we will be hunting up a bunch of JUCOs or be very, very young
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Redbirds4Life » January 23rd, 2018, 1:23 pm

Redhawk wrote:

I am still not convinced we will ever see Copeland in a Redbird uniform....

Also, if Lusk/Hinson/Simmons don't win the league, they should all be fired. I think with Lusk's talent, he has no excuse. Simmons has been there way too long and realistically done nothing. Hinson....I still don't get why he always gets a pass in the MVC, he has set SIU back IMO. His coaching highlight is being snubbed really bad one year.....
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 23rd, 2018, 2:21 pm

Redbirds4Life wrote:Hinson....I still don't get why he always gets a pass in the MVC, he has set SIU back IMO. His coaching highlight is being snubbed really bad one year.....

Nope. This is his best highlight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8OeZ7S8x3Y
Last edited by BirdsEyeView on January 23rd, 2018, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirds4Life » January 23rd, 2018, 2:51 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:Hinson....I still don't get why he always gets a pass in the MVC, he has set SIU back IMO. His coaching highlight is being snubbed really bad one year.....

Nope. This is highlight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8OeZ7S8x3Y

^I also remember something about a bus when coming to Illinois State a few years back.

Barry Hinson hasn't done a thing at SIU, in his 6th season and not even one NIT berth. If I were a Saluki fan, I'd be at the end of my rope on this one, but for some reason and I don't understand it, people still believe he is just this great coach....Barry needs to go for SIU to rebuild the program he has ruined.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Redhawk » January 23rd, 2018, 3:09 pm

Redbirds4Life wrote:Barry needs to go for SIU to rebuild the program he has ruined.

To be fair...Chris Lowery ruined the program by going 49-75 his last four seasons.
Barry is the one actually trying to rebuild it!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » January 23rd, 2018, 3:11 pm

Redhawk wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:Barry needs to go for SIU to rebuild the program he has ruined.

To be fair...Chris Lowery ruined the program by going 49-75 his last four seasons.
Barry is the one actually trying to rebuild it!

Lowery also left them on the doorstep of major APR sanctions. Barry couldn't recruit the first 3 years he was there because he couldn't afford to have one guy have academic problems and lose scholarships.

That said, next year is Barry's 'line in the sand year'. He's going to be really experienced and people seem to like the class he's got coming (isn' there another Beane?). Its put up or shut up for Barry.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jackwagon » January 23rd, 2018, 3:38 pm

Agreed. He will have
Sr Bartley
Sr Fletcher
Sr Lloyd
Sr Pippen
Sr Bol
Bench
JR Cook
SR Mcgill
SR Rudy
JR Gooch
FR Beane

If that can't get it done then he needs to go
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby underdawg » January 23rd, 2018, 5:40 pm

jackwagon wrote:Agreed. He will have
Sr Bartley
Sr Fletcher
Sr Lloyd
Sr Pippen
Sr Bol
Bench
JR Cook
SR Mcgill
SR Rudy
JR Gooch
FR Beane

If that can't get it done then he needs to go

McGill will be a red-shirt Junior since he is getting a medical redshirt--two more years of eligibility. So in 2019--2020 he will team with Cook at the lead guards :D
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball