Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 19th, 2018, 9:37 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:Meeting's in less than two weeks. Would love an update on where we stand on this issue which schools are in play etc. Still hoping for Murray State and Belmont but would take NKU Wright State maybe even UIC. As much as I'd like it to I don't see NMSU happening.

Guess we’ll have to wait a couple weeks to hear from Mark Adams or Father Harry. SaintLouBrave said ”From what I have heard, there has already been enough meetings to map out how Arch Madness would go for next year and there is not only contingencies in place for 12, but STL has already been informed that 12 is a very real possibility for next season.” He’s usually a good source (he recently got the Arch Madness seating charts before anyone else) so we’ll see.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby VUGrad1314 » February 19th, 2018, 10:10 pm

That's exciting. Where did you read that? Also did he give any indication as to who would be coming?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 19th, 2018, 10:22 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:That's exciting. Where did you read that? Also did he give any indication as to who would be coming?

Braves board (PJS). Don’t think he’s in-tune as to who the Valley might add but he’s reliable for bits and pieces (Arch Madness, coaching searches).
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » February 19th, 2018, 10:33 pm

I saw a post circulating around the Murray State board awhile back saying that they felt sure they were getting an invite. You have to assume they'll be one of the teams. The question is the same as it's always been: who's #12?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bufan42 » February 19th, 2018, 11:45 pm

So here is my question.

Why are we hell bent on a 12 team league?

Look at Conference USA and a few other leagues that used to be comparable. Now they have 12-14 teams and they suck. It’s still a 1 bid league with just a lot more teams.

Why not focus on getting our balanced 10 team league back to prominence so we get multiple bids?

We could be a poor mans big 12.

If Bradley, ISU, mo st, and SIU get back to winning ways we are a damn good league that doesn’t need more teams. Add an always good UNI and a potential sleeper I. Loyola and you have a good conference. And ISU b as well as Evansville have been solid from time to time.

I think we can be a 2 bid league again (we might this year)

But why add 2 teams that may not help that? Just makes dancing harder for us already in the league.
bufan42
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby mvfcfan » February 20th, 2018, 4:31 am

On a SL radio show they were interviewing Watkins (associate commissioner) about the Arch Madness contract extension. He said they're looking to go to 12 for the 2019 tournament which would be next season's tournament.

As far as NDSU and SDSU to the MVC goes I started polls on booth their message boards a while back.
NDSU is in favor 73-14, while SDSU is opposed 52-34. I think SDSU fans have too much blue in their glasses when it comes to their precious tournament.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redhawk » February 20th, 2018, 8:05 am

bufan42 wrote:So here is my question.

Why are we hell bent on a 12 team league?

While I am all in on Murray State to go to 11 next year (and 20 conference games) there is no clear cut
12 out of the teams on this poll. There should be no rush to get to 12.

The NCAA expansion fever has cooled and it has not turned out well for a lot of leagues and programs.
Look at our peer conference the A10. They had teams leave and continued to pull programs up to maintain
a 14 team league. Eight of those teams have an RPI of 175 or higher. The Valley has one team higher than that..ISUb at 183.

Are you up to some negotiation SLU? The Big East isn't calling, The current A10 is sliding and your
university is in the midst of severe budget cuts. Might be a great time to tone down the hubris and come
back home to the Valley before an upstart takes your rightful place!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby RacerJoeD » February 20th, 2018, 8:27 am

I think saying that "expansion fever has cooled" is not really true. We are just seeing the dust settling from the last round of major realignment. Media contracts are coming up for renewal and that will drive realignment in the BIG$$ conferences, which will cause aftershocks that roil all the way down to the bottom conferences.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -shuffling

If the earthquake analogy isn't sufficient, allow me to posit another. We are all playing musical chairs, and while the music is playing it is very calm and orderly. In a couple years, the music will stop, and the conferences who haven't positioned themselves in a position to be competitive will find themselves without a seat at the table.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redhawk » February 20th, 2018, 8:39 am

RacerJoeD wrote:I think saying that "expansion fever has cooled" is not really true. We are just seeing the dust settling from the last round of major realignment. Media contracts are coming up for renewal and that will drive realignment in the BIG$$ conferences, which will cause aftershocks that roil all the way down to the bottom conferences.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -shuffling

If the earthquake analogy isn't sufficient, allow me to posit another. We are all playing musical chairs, and while the music is playing it is very calm and orderly. In a couple years, the music will stop, and the conferences who haven't positioned themselves in a position to be competitive will find themselves without a seat at the table.

Racer...the article you linked specifically states "Things have calmed down" and the author doesn't expect a whole lot of action within the power conferences until 2023! The problem with the media contract renewals are that the money offered will "calm down" as well. Why will these Power 5 leagues want to add more teams to split a smaller pie?
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » February 20th, 2018, 8:48 am

Everybody is going to 20 league games and I think the Valley will do the same next season, so obviously 10 teams doesn't work.

11 is completely unworkable for Women's Basketball and Volleyball (remember The Valley is an outstanding Volleyball league so you don't want to mess with weird schedules there. Volleyball also generates revenue at a few places. UNI, MSU, SIU, IlSU)

12 is the only answer. Plus a full day Thursday at Arch Madness and increased TV inventory would help the money situation as well.

If NMSU is off the table, SDSU is a package deal and Belmont says 'No' again. I think you take the established Murray and the upside, big market NKU and be done with it.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball