Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby VU2014 » February 22nd, 2018, 12:32 pm

LMFAO. Some of you guys were laughing at Loyola when they came into the League and now they are the cream of the crop in the MVC 5 years later.

Have "buyers remorse" now and then in a few years when we're near the top of the league you can have a good laugh at yourself.

Valpo was ALWAYS going to be in a rebuild year this year and that doubled down when we lost a former Top 100 recruit literally right before Conference play started which really hurt us. He was arguably the most talented player, 2nd leading scorer and just as important the 3rd most experienced player on the roster. We have 9(!) underclassmen on this team and most of this team never played together before this season. This is one of the least experienced teams in the nation. Also factor in Valpo graduated 3 professional players last season. 1 NBA player and 2 other pros playing in Europe.

Chill out and use some common sense. Trust me Valpo fans are as disappointed about this season as anyone else, but we can also rationalize why we struggled this season. I have confidence it will get better but it's a process. It may not be the prettiest games at times but Valpo has seen 7 of their past 9 losses come by single-digits. This team is learning and is slowly improving while adjusting to MVC play.
Last edited by VU2014 on February 22nd, 2018, 1:27 pm, edited 8 times in total.
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby VUGrad1314 » February 22nd, 2018, 12:39 pm

Blers wrote:Valparaiso had a young team this year and I think they have a ton of upside. I agree the facility needs to be improved but they have a good name brand and recruit well (book Javon Freeman for at least the all freshman team). Evelyn is a stud as well. We won 10 games our first year but they've been far more competitive with the jump. I definitely expect them to make their way up the ranks before long.
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Valparaiso has little support this year because they’re in last place. If they’re winning, Valpo has one of the louder mid major environments. (See: this game against Saint Mary’s.)
https://youtu.be/Y-5QzOSVS2Q

Crusaders had a better 5 year rolling KenPom average than anyone in MVC (sans Northern Iowa) with a recent NIT title game. It might just be Lottich isn’t the answer.

Thanks for the backup you guys. Blers, I hope you know that when I was not intending to bash Loyola when I compared their year one situation to ours. Just trying to State facts that back up my argument. Congratulations on a great season and I hope that your Ramblers kick some major P5 behind in the tourney whether you get in as the auto bid or an at-large. (I think you've got the resume as long as you make the finals and don't get blown out ultimately I think that's what kept Illinois State out last year. They got blown out by the Shockers in that final).

Ah the NIT run. I firmly believe that team could have won at least 1-2 games in the dance. What a special group. That defense in the second half of the St Mary's game was incredible. Simultaneously one of the most enjoyable and upsetting seasons I can remember. Enjoyable because that team was amazing upsetting because we didn't get to prove ourselves in the tourney. If you'd like to see it I have a comparison between 2017 Illinois State and 2018 Loyola that I can post here. Personally I think Loyola compares favorably to last year's Illinois State team and would probably get in where the Redbirds could not.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RamblerFan » February 22nd, 2018, 1:25 pm

Anyone who doesnt think Valpo is a good add has had their head in the sand for a LONG time. Thank goodness the selection committee is able to act with the foresight that some of the longer tenured Valley fans seem to lack. Does Valpo need new facilities? Sure, but they're getting Valley money now and have been successful for a long time without them.
RamblerFan
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby VUGrad1314 » February 22nd, 2018, 1:53 pm

I would also like to gently remind any UNI fans that wish to get on Valpo for one tough year that they are 28-31 overall and 15-20 in MVC Play since they found themselves on the wrong end of one of the greatest postseason collapses in tournament history when they choked away that game against Texas A&M in March of 2016. Now I respect the UNI program a great deal and your team was one of the first I mentioned when I listed the reasons why I was excited to see VU join the MVC. Given your history I am certain the program will be back to it's winning ways in no time. I am simply suggesting that now may not be the best point in your history to be criticizing and taking shots at other programs as even your facilities have proven unable to prevent a couple of very down seasons.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby freddycat68 » February 22nd, 2018, 8:21 pm

Valpo will be fine. Most teams struggle when joining the Valley. It's a much tougher league than most think it is, and there's some culture shock when newbies come in. I was one who thought Valpo would finish lower division this year for that reason alone. (Ahem, and I was right.) But they will be fine, and it's way too early for Valpo fans to turn on Coach L. The next couple years will probably belong to BU and SIU and maybe ISU if they can avoid defections. Loyola probably comes back down to earth but will also challenge. It's going to be an Illinois-school-dominated league for a while. But Valpo will be in the mix, and they were a great add. And ala Drake this year, someone will come out of nowhere.

This league is nuts, and there is no shame in VU feeling its way around for a while.
freddycat68
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby VUGrad1314 » February 24th, 2018, 1:02 am

Getting back to the original thread topic, the Murray State board is again buzzing with rumors of a forthcoming invite, this after they have wrestled first place from Belmont and set up a "can clinch with win" scenario for their final game.

One has to wonder whether Belmont's mind can be changed given the events of this season. They scheduled about as well as a team can schedule and yet they may not even get an NIT bid. They may need to win the OVC Tournament to avoid the CBI\CIT. The Bruins were really hurt by the down year in the Horizon League, Vanderbilt falling off, getting swept by Lipscomb, blowing two big chances at P5\BE wins against Washington and Providence, and tripping up in conference play. Meanwhile, the MVC showed great resiliency as the conference surged from 12th to 8th in RPI and may have a legitimate at-large candidate in Loyola if the Ramblers don't win in St Louis. While they would clearly benefit from a move to the MVC their decision to move their men's soccer team to the SOCON may speak volumes about their intentions especially with the Racers seemingly poised to vacate the premises and leave Belmont to potentially go on a Gonzaga or Kansas like run in the OVC.

Similar to Murray State, in-state rival and possible MVC target Northern Kentucky set up a win and clinch scenario following an unexpected loss to IUPUI by Wright State as the Norse doused the formerly torrid Flames of UIC 79-72. Succeeding in Indianapolis where the Raiders failed today will allow NKU to claim that mantle once held by Valparaiso, which left the Horizon League for the MVC this past July.

One may perhaps be alarmed by the rumors of significant cuts to higher education in Kentucky and the impact that may have on athletic budgets, but Murray State surely has the program and the fan support to weather this storm, and NKU, which sits just a few miles south of Cincinnati is in a prosperous region and is building a strong and passionate fanbase that will no doubt be energized by a move to the MVC. Fans of opposing teams will come away most impressed by the facilities the Norse can boast, particularly BB&T Arena.

I also wonder if SLU may be rethinking their stance on the MVC in light of the down year the A10 endured coupled with the success Loyola--a fellow Jesuit school--and indeed the Valley as a whole enjoyed. However, Father Harry said at last check that the two parties have not discussed a reunion, and I trust his word.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » February 24th, 2018, 8:15 am

I might make a sign for Arch Madness that says "Invite Murray St and N Kentucky". I think they've both proven this year that they belong. Both schools are probably going to win their conferences this year. It would be a great look for the Valley next season to bring in two conference champions.

Then we can get this expansion out of the way and move forward with the conference. The football schools will be happy because the league can get an AQ for the FCS playoffs no matter what happens with the Dakota schools, and the non-football schools will be happy. The travel would also be great for almost everyone. No more trips to Nebraska and Kansas.

FYI if we just added Murray State, Missouri State would not be getting screwed over. Everyone else in the conference would be getting screwed over by having to travel to MOSU. But only in women's bb and volleyball since those are the only two sports the conference uses travel partners for.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » February 24th, 2018, 8:31 am

mvfcfan wrote:I might make a sign for Arch Madness that says "Invite Murray St and N Kentucky".

Make that sign!!!!!!
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 24th, 2018, 9:13 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
mvfcfan wrote:I might make a sign for Arch Madness that says "Invite Murray St and N Kentucky".

Make that sign!!!!!!

Do it!!!!!

Went to NKU/UIC last night. First thing was parking. Short, but slow line. Once it got to my turn, it took a couple minutes. Cashier was using dimes to match singles because he was running out of change. Next step was walk-up’s. Waited 15 minutes outside behind just 7 people until the line moved. Computers broke and no Plan B. Next order was finding my seat. I walked to my 200 section only for it to be roped off and the usher tell me “they’re not supposed to be selling those seats”. I was sold seats that were closed off! Then I went for food. Only 1 food stand open and there were 40+ people in line. Checked again in 2nd half, 30+ people in line. Checked again 2 minutes left, 10 people in line so I waited only for them to be out of the 2 things I wanted.

Darkest arena. Scoreboard 80 ft behind basket. Rafters maze of thick dust. Still had fun (what D1 game isn’t?!). Decent team (McClain’s really improved the Flames since I watched them trail 43-10 @NKU 2 months ago). Good crowd. Great music (90s night). Excellent school. But of 19 venues I’ve attended this year, their gameday ops were an umitigated trainwreck.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » February 24th, 2018, 9:20 am

It's ridiculous hitting on Valpo facilities. Looks like when I watch they have a pretty good crowd and facilities fit. No one from UNI can fault Valpo. From watching the UNI games the place was empty, more so than normal. Some think Drake's facilities are too small or don't like the color scheme and that's ridiculous as well.
No doubt any school if pushed for seats would remedy it.

Changing facilities and worrying about who may be the 12th addition isn't going to change the at large landscape. A team just has to be damn good and win games, then if not successful at winning the tourney there may be a shot at an at-large. Concession stands probably don't enter selection talks.

I have seen Valpo when they could probably kick anyone in the Valleys rear, including WSU. Those folks love basketball and will be in the hunt. Loyola has done a superb job of team building, congrats.

Basketball culture is continuallly changing. It's foolish to build a 12-15k stadium when crowds are 5k and less.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball