Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby BCPanther » February 24th, 2018, 3:55 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:It's ridiculous hitting on Valpo facilities. Looks like when I watch they have a pretty good crowd and facilities fit. No one from UNI can fault Valpo. From watching the UNI games the place was empty, more so than normal. Some think Drake's facilities are too small or don't like the color scheme and that's ridiculous as well.
No doubt any school if pushed for seats would remedy it.

Changing facilities and worrying about who may be the 12th addition isn't going to change the at large landscape. A team just has to be damn good and win games, then if not successful at winning the tourney there may be a shot at an at-large. Concession stands probably don't enter selection talks.

I have seen Valpo when they could probably kick anyone in the Valleys rear, including WSU. Those folks love basketball and will be in the hunt. Loyola has done a superb job of team building, congrats.

Basketball culture is continuallly changing. It's foolish to build a 12-15k stadium when crowds are 5k and less.

If you can't tell the difference between the McLeod Center and the ARC, you're intentionally being obtuse.

It has nothing to do with capacity. It has everything to do with amenities like air conditioning and decent lighting. The Knapp Center is a really bad arena but at least it's not 100 degrees in there anytime the outside temperature hits 75.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby musiccitybulldog » February 24th, 2018, 4:25 pm

BCPanther wrote:
musiccitybulldog wrote:It's ridiculous hitting on Valpo facilities. Looks like when I watch they have a pretty good crowd and facilities fit. No one from UNI can fault Valpo. From watching the UNI games the place was empty, more so than normal. Some think Drake's facilities are too small or don't like the color scheme and that's ridiculous as well.
No doubt any school if pushed for seats would remedy it.

Changing facilities and worrying about who may be the 12th addition isn't going to change the at large landscape. A team just has to be damn good and win games, then if not successful at winning the tourney there may be a shot at an at-large. Concession stands probably don't enter selection talks.

I have seen Valpo when they could probably kick anyone in the Valleys rear, including WSU. Those folks love basketball and will be in the hunt. Loyola has done a superb job of team building, congrats.

Basketball culture is continuallly changing. It's foolish to build a 12-15k stadium when crowds are 5k and less.

If you can't tell the difference between the McLeod Center and the ARC, you're intentionally being obtuse.

It has nothing to do with capacity. It has everything to do with amenities like air conditioning and decent lighting. The Knapp Center is a really bad arena but at least it's not 100 degrees in there anytime the outside temperature hits 75.

I know nothing about the Heating and Air in any venue, but "arena" arguements are illogical.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » February 24th, 2018, 4:38 pm

Remember when this thread was an MVC expansion thread and not a bash Valpo because UNI is having a bad year thread? Good times. Panther fans, please stop projecting your frustrations about the state of your own program and fanbase onto other programs and fanbases. Thank you.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » February 25th, 2018, 7:57 am

Murray State won the OVC championship outright last night after a three hour rain delay. There was apparently a tornado in the area and there was a roof leak (at APSU).
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniguy » February 25th, 2018, 9:24 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:Remember when this thread was an MVC expansion thread and not a bash Valpo because UNI is having a bad year thread? Good times. Panther fans, please stop projecting your frustrations about the state of your own program and fanbase onto other programs and fanbases. Thank you.

I don't post often, mostly just read, but I feel compelled to point out that there was ONE UNI fan who has, in total, made two somewhat negative posts about Valpo (mostly about facilities). I would suggest that you take a deep breath before you hyperventilate.

PS-While I think Valpo is a great program with a long tradition that will be a great addition to the league over time, you have to admit your arena isn't......perfect.
uniguy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby uniguy » February 25th, 2018, 9:28 am

Oh, and while I am here, I have to say that UNDfan may be the most hilariously delusional message board poster I have ever seen that I am 100% convinced is not a troll. He has said some outstanding stuff, but I think a dark horse people have glossed over is that he suggested that UND dropped baseball specifically to force the Summit League to expand. It is a hidden gem, but very solid nonetheless.
uniguy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby UNDfan » February 25th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Wonder if UALR may be one of the Mo St targets. It would get approval from most MVC schools and add another state. Right now they are finishing a football study but UALR already has very high athletic fees. The Belt offers non FBS schools guaranteed admission to FBS. If the study shows FBS is not viable, UALR would have more ammunition to leave. The Belt has a collapsing mbb RPI as everyone is pouring their money into FBS. UT Arlington has much more viable FBS options, so don’t see it ever leaving the Belt for the MVC.

UALR could be Mo St’s target, as their President wanted a nearby school.
UNDfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby UNDfan » February 25th, 2018, 12:31 pm

uniguy wrote:Oh, and while I am here, I have to say that UNDfan may be the most hilariously delusional message board poster I have ever seen that I am 100% convinced is not a troll. He has said some outstanding stuff, but I think a dark horse people have glossed over is that he suggested that UND dropped baseball specifically to force the Summit League to expand. It is a hidden gem, but very solid nonetheless.

Montana, Montana St, Idaho and Weber St are coming to the Summit. Almost positive of it. The Montana’s are sick and tired of the slug commuter schools in the Big Sigh not caring about athletics and not having fan bases. ORU, W Illinois, and IPFW will have to find new homes, but the Summit will find ecstacy in its new found partners. It will be a league that will supercede the MVC.

UND’s prez is almost a master at playing a game where he suddenly springs a wonderful surprise. He could have easily saved baseball if he knew the Summit was going to trudge along in the same old way. The Summit needs a baseball team but UND drops it. But if football becomes a conference sport, suddenly it’s not needed. Right now, the Summit is on its deathbed when IPFW leaves and it baseball team goes with it.

What is delusional is that most posters here believe the MVC will return as a two bid league.
UNDfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » February 25th, 2018, 1:28 pm

UNDfan wrote:
uniguy wrote:Oh, and while I am here, I have to say that UNDfan may be the most hilariously delusional message board poster I have ever seen that I am 100% convinced is not a troll. He has said some outstanding stuff, but I think a dark horse people have glossed over is that he suggested that UND dropped baseball specifically to force the Summit League to expand. It is a hidden gem, but very solid nonetheless.

Montana, Montana St, Idaho and Weber St are coming to the Summit. Almost positive of it. The Montana’s are sick and tired of the slug commuter schools in the Big Sigh not caring about athletics and not having fan bases. ORU, W Illinois, and IPFW will have to find new homes, but the Summit will find ecstacy in its new found partners. It will be a league that will supercede the MVC.

UND’s prez is almost a master at playing a game where he suddenly springs a wonderful surprise. He could have easily saved baseball if he knew the Summit was going to trudge along in the same old way. The Summit needs a baseball team but UND drops it. But if football becomes a conference sport, suddenly it’s not needed. Right now, the Summit is on its deathbed when IPFW leaves and it baseball team goes with it.

What is delusional is that most posters here believe the MVC will return as a two bid league.

Yes, because the new Summit League will be a two bid league, LOL. The new conference still couldn't sniff the MVC. It will close the gap to the MVFC though and ever surpass it on a year to year basis but I'm okay with that because the Valley is more focused on basketball and the fans are, too.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » February 25th, 2018, 1:46 pm

Northern KY is beating IUPUI by 26 with 8 minutes to go and is well on their way to getting their first Horizon League title. Please MVC, don't mess this up. It's pretty obvious who the best two choices are at this point.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball