Our good friends Wichita...

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Our good friends Wichita...

Postby LanceShock » March 18th, 2018, 6:11 am

This season for the Shocks was only a disappointment based on the irrational expectations driven by excessive pride many of us had.

The irony of Loyola making the Sweet Sixteen the same year we leave and go out in the first round just shows how fortunate WSU has been in some of the matchups we got in the NCAA tournament. So much of the success there depends on playing your best basketball at that time and getting favorable matchups. It would appear that Loyola is playing really well right when it counts. I'm not sure how they matched up to their opponents, but I would suspect that they were aspects to the matchups that helped Loyola as well.

WSU has clearly not been playing its best basketball and got a matchup with a team with strengths that coincided pretty neatly to WSU's weaknesses.

This thread has been good for a few laughs though. 2nd in the American with being one play away from 1st and we are over our heads in the conference :huh: What was Valpo in the Valley, run over by a steamroller then?

The Valley is a good league, but things reached a point where it was no longer a good fit for WSU. Even though there was a disappointing finish, being in the American was exactly what WSU wanted for this year. The team just wasn't able to execute when it mattered.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby AndShock » March 18th, 2018, 10:15 am

If Wichita State were still in the conference, one of Wichita State or Loyola misses the tournament this year (probably us tbh). Maybe Wichita State was holding the conference back, but that’s a product of how the selection committee works now and not because Wichita State didn’t allow teams to compete. Makes you really think about if Murray State would be making the right move in taking a step up in competition.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » March 18th, 2018, 10:41 am

LanceShock wrote:This season for the Shocks was only a disappointment based on the irrational expectations driven by excessive pride many of us had.

The irony of Loyola making the Sweet Sixteen the same year we leave and go out in the first round just shows how fortunate WSU has been in some of the matchups we got in the NCAA tournament. So much of the success there depends on playing your best basketball at that time and getting favorable matchups. It would appear that Loyola is playing really well right when it counts. I'm not sure how they matched up to their opponents, but I would suspect that they were aspects to the matchups that helped Loyola as well.

WSU has clearly not been playing its best basketball and got a matchup with a team with strengths that coincided pretty neatly to WSU's weaknesses.

This thread has been good for a few laughs though. 2nd in the American with being one play away from 1st and we are over our heads in the conference :huh: What was Valpo in the Valley, run over by a steamroller then?

The Valley is a good league, but things reached a point where it was no longer a good fit for WSU. Even though there was a disappointing finish, being in the American was exactly what WSU wanted for this year. The team just wasn't able to execute when it mattered.

And who said you were in over your heads? That's obviously not the case.

I'm glad this thread amused you. I got some laughs looking at Shockernet and several of the posters there saying if they were still in the Valley that Loyola wouldn't have even made the ncaa's. Like its a foregone conclusion they would have beaten Loyola at Arch madness. I don't think so.....IMO Likely Wichita wins the regular season and Loyola wins arch madness. To be fair that's not what all the shockernet posters said. Some were reasonable as some of the shox posters on here have been.

Again not all wsu posters/fans are bad. But there are several that are completely over the top and they dominate and set the tone for the poor perception of wsu fans here and on the aac forum. And there is no real attempt to police or contradict them on the part of the rest.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ACECARD » March 18th, 2018, 2:56 pm

ACECARD wrote:You think the Shocks will try to come back as the 12th team since they seem to be over their head in the AAC? :lol:

I said that they were over their head in a joking manner, as you can see by the laughing smilie, just to see if I could get a rise out of some of the A-hole Shocker fans who still like to post on this forum. I got the response I expected.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » March 18th, 2018, 3:56 pm

I rarely go to the American board but when I do, there are flamers from every school including WSU who try to show up another flamer.

As for your board, I may just not remember but ISUR and Evansville never had a balanced poster. All they do is flame and for what their schools have accomplished, they mostly have to be negative in order to be respected. Good Luck to the Valley
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Old School MVC » March 18th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Most all fan bases are made up of 98% good hearted fun fans, and 2% a-holes. Wichita does have some good posters here I enjoy reading, but the problem is that many of the 2% from Wichita came on here to post. It is just that the jerks make it hard to cheer for their team. All of our fan bases have them, it is just that we get a chance to read from quite a few Shox fans on here. (Of course, Championz may have had about 5 screen names). I did meet so many many nice fans from Wichita in STL (although I did have a couple run ins with a two percenter). I can't say I blame them for leaving if they thought it was the right move, but their exit comments is what drove everyone nuts. I am sorry, but in my opinion, Gregg Marshall is just easy to root against.

GO RAMBLERS!!!
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ptownbraves » March 18th, 2018, 4:16 pm

Old School MVC wrote:Most all fan bases are made up of 98% good hearted fun fans, and 2% a-holes. Wichita does have some good posters here I enjoy reading, but the problem is that many of the 2% from Wichita came on here to post. It is just that the jerks make it hard to cheer for their team. All of our fan bases have them, it is just that we get a chance to read from quite a few Shox fans on here. (Of course, Championz may have had about 5 screen names). I did meet so many many nice fans from Wichita in STL (although I did have a couple run ins with a two percenter). I can't say I blame them for leaving if they thought it was the right move, but their exit comments is what drove everyone nuts. I am sorry, but in my opinion, Gregg Marshall is just easy to root against.

GO RAMBLERS!!!

Gregg Marshall is one of those 2%-ers. Tone at the top matters.

ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ABC » March 18th, 2018, 4:31 pm

Wow.

Boo hoo.
ABC
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby musiccitybulldog » March 18th, 2018, 6:19 pm

No way the AAC should be more than a one bid league.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » March 18th, 2018, 6:21 pm

UNI-esque collapse. I’m convinced we’re a curse.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball