Paul Lusk Fired

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Paul Lusk Fired

Postby Redbirds4Life » March 21st, 2018, 12:47 pm

Great Hire, but I am super bummed that he won't still be out there when Dan Muller eventually leaves.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby musiccitybulldog » March 21st, 2018, 2:55 pm

I think the guy will be a scrapper. TSU beat Belmont at home this year I am pretty sure, that's no easy task.
Probably has some good areas to recruit now.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby All-MVC Fan » March 21st, 2018, 3:22 pm

Congrats Bears! Sounds like a good hire!
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Sir Sci » March 22nd, 2018, 9:38 am

Coach Ford's press conference was incredible. What I really appreciated about it was that he was straightforward and honest. He didn't dance around questions or obscure answers with coach speak. He even:

1. Acknowledged that Greg Heiar was the fan favorite for the coaching job. To me, that shows that he has an awareness of the fan base and he understands the job he's walking into.
2. Directly answered a question about when he was interviewed, acknowledging he heard from the Pres Smart and AD later in the process.
3. Made an offhand comment indicating 200 people applied for the job, which could be hyperbole or accurate, who knows.
4. Said it was hard to win at Tennessee State, but that he loved the school and was thankful for the opportunity there.
5. Said he doesn't keep his twitter account active during the season because he's competitive and would have a tendency to "come after you" if you criticize his players.

A lot of coaches wouldn't have answered questions with answers that direct.
Sir Sci
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » March 22nd, 2018, 9:40 am

Just got back from the intro presser with Coach Ford. He was nothing but impressive; I've been to a few of these for various coaches and sports, and no one killed it the way he did today. Direct, engaging, funny, and in total command; accountability is his mantra from himself to the fan base. I really, really liked the guy.

Details of contract include a 5 year deal at $375,000 + perks [ usually about another $75,000] for years 1-2, and $425,000 + perks years 3-5. Of course if he's doing well those last years usually get renegotiated .
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » March 22nd, 2018, 10:21 am

BEARZ77 wrote:Just got back from the intro presser with Coach Ford. He was nothing but impressive; I've been to a few of these for various coaches and sports, and no one killed it the way he did today. Direct, engaging, funny, and in total command; accountability is his mantra from himself to the fan base. I really, really liked the guy.

Details of contract include a 5 year deal at $375,000 + perks [ usually about another $75,000] for years 1-2, and $425,000 + perks years 3-5. Of course if he's doing well those last years usually get renegotiated .

No doubt he is impressive...after all he is an ISUr Grad!

Great hire for MSU. Will recruit very well for the Bears and has learned from Marshall and Muller.

Looks like Evansville made a strong hire too. It's game on in the Valley!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 22nd, 2018, 10:37 am

Home Run hire for Missouri St.

I am very jealous of this one. You will begin recruiting circles around Dan Muller and the rest of the Valley.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » March 22nd, 2018, 12:48 pm

MSU paying TSU $190,000 buyout of Ford's contract.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Oledawg » March 26th, 2018, 1:00 am

Majik45 wrote:Saw this article in the local Peoria paper about a long time coach (52 years) being let go at McKendree college. Interesting note at the bottom that there is speculation they want Paul Lusk as he is originally from the area down there.

http://www.pjstar.com/news/20180307/nic ... ee?start=2

Yeah, Lusk’s childhood home is within easy driving distance of McKendree. Probably a pretty big pay cut but a great gig for him if that’s the direction he wants to go.
Oledawg
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Kyle@MOState » March 26th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Oledawg wrote:
Majik45 wrote:Saw this article in the local Peoria paper about a long time coach (52 years) being let go at McKendree college. Interesting note at the bottom that there is speculation they want Paul Lusk as he is originally from the area down there.

http://www.pjstar.com/news/20180307/nic ... ee?start=2

Yeah, Lusk’s childhood home is within easy driving distance of McKendree. Probably a pretty big pay cut but a great gig for him if that’s the direction he wants to go.

I wish Paul Lusk well, he is a good recruiter, and great with players, I think he would be better served as an assistant coach somewhere to get some more experience. Who knows, with the way things have happened recently, he could pop up at another Valley school in a couple years and do well there.
Kyle@MOState
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball