Southern Illinois hires Scott Nagy

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Southern Illinois hires Scott Nagy

Postby just ducky » March 29th, 2024, 7:40 am

"Raider Nation" (the Wright St fan forum) is an active board with diverse viewpoints. For those curious about the Scott Nagy coaching style, approach, strengths and weaknesses I'd suggest spending some time there now instead of complaining about his traditional team building formula later.
just ducky
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 29th, 2024, 2:56 pm

Introduction
https://youtu.be/D3hlt_11FHo?si=wuJnrlalKPxnFoB3

Press Conference
https://youtu.be/Jp4ynI7fA2o?si=N1zbHZ3bQ3eqIMgl

Commissioner Jeff Jackson was present.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 29th, 2024, 5:31 pm

SIU AD contacted Scott Nagy last weekend for info on 2 coaches he was looking at (note: So iLL 24 posted around this time that SIU had 2 offers out -- this pretty much confirms it) and then changed direction and pursued Nagy instead (probably after those 2 coaches declined).

Quote is about 10 minutes into the first video:
"There were lots of twists and turns...It's a long story...but last weekend, I'm looking at 2 coaches and I'm calling Scott to get background info on these 2 guys - and the whole time I'm talking to him, I'm like 'wait a minute, I did all this research on these 2 coaches, why am I not talking to this guy?'"
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 29th, 2024, 6:01 pm

Nagy in the 2nd video:
"Ever since I left IL back in the 90s, I've been trying to get back here...for the past 29 years. I've interviewed with several schools in this conference, and in the state."

Pretty sure Bradley 2015 was one of those.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 29th, 2024, 6:22 pm

SIU AD in the second video (more follow-up to his quote in the first video):

"We were left at the altar once...turns out that was probably the best thing that could've happened to us. After that process started, I'm calling Scott...there were 2 coaches I'm looking at - 1 of them I was trying to talk myself into liking - and I'm talking to Scott and I know this sounds crazy, because he didn't say anything, but I could sense it in his voice "Well, why aren't you talking to me?" Turns out his agent is a good friend of mine, and I didn't know he represented him. We were talking and Scott's name came up and I asked "Who represents him?" The agent said "I do". I remember there was this pause and I said "Why the hell didn't you say this sooner?" That's kind of how it all came up and I small-talked to him and it was all systems go at that point. And the first time I talked to Scott as a candidate was Tuesday morning."
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby siudawgs » March 30th, 2024, 8:38 am

Overall, enthused about Nagy. His track record speaks for itself, he’ll run a clean program and it’ll be fun to see an offensive-oriented Saluki team, probably for the first time since the Rich Herrin days. And at his age, you have a better chance of keeping him if they have a good year or two.

Main point of curiosity/concern would be how he manages the portal as an older coach (very curious how his staff shakes out with Wright State hiring internally).
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TylerDurden » March 30th, 2024, 8:51 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:SIU AD in the second video (more follow-up to his quote in the first video):

"We were left at the altar once...turns out that was probably the best thing that could've happened to us. After that process started, I'm calling Scott...there were 2 coaches I'm looking at - 1 of them I was trying to talk myself into liking - and I'm talking to Scott and I know this sounds crazy, because he didn't say anything, but I could sense it in his voice "Well, why aren't you talking to me?" Turns out his agent is a good friend of mine, and I didn't know he represented him. We were talking and Scott's name came up and I asked "Who represents him?" The agent said "I do". I remember there was this pause and I said "Why the hell didn't you say this sooner?" That's kind of how it all came up and I small-talked to him and it was all systems go at that point. And the first time I talked to Scott as a candidate was Tuesday morning."

Agent just got canned. :D

Seriously, I like Nagy. I think he can do well at SIU.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SalukiWorld » March 30th, 2024, 2:09 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Nagy in the 2nd video:
"Ever since I left IL back in the 90s, I've been trying to get back here...for the past 29 years. I've interviewed with several schools in this conference, and in the state."

Pretty sure Bradley 2015 was one of those.

Not a Valley school anymore but I remember him being mentioned for Loyola after Moser left
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » April 15th, 2024, 4:54 pm

Jerrance Howard leaves SIU for Arizona St.

Howard was brought in as a big-name recruiter. In his 13 months at SIU, did he land one recruit?
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » April 15th, 2024, 7:15 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Jerrance Howard leaves SIU for Arizona St.

Howard was brought in as a big-name recruiter. In his 13 months at SIU, did he land one recruit?

One of the more overrated assistant coaches in America.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball