QUESTION

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

QUESTION

Postby BEARZ77 » April 23rd, 2024, 9:45 am

Anyone have any insights into semester break transfers. Specifically, if a player is in good academic standing, and at semester decides to transfer to another school , will they be immediately eligible. If so, what's to prevent the following: team A is doing poorly; team B is doing great but has an injury or needs a bump to really make a run. At semester break, team A's best player transfers to team B . Might see a movement just like you do in pros at the trading deadline each year. Any thoughts or knowledge as to this situation. One limitation might be at what times can you enter the portal, but the question I'd have is what do you need a portal for if everyone can transfer unlimited times.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

QUESTION

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: QUESTION

Postby BCPanther » April 23rd, 2024, 12:03 pm

I don't believe that anyone has attempted it but there's no way the courts won't give the thumbs up on it.

Football especially might get wild between the end of the regular season and the new playoff.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » April 23rd, 2024, 12:36 pm

You currently can't transfer and then play within the same athletic season, semester break or not, because the NCAA determines eligibility for any one player at any one school by sport season.

The significance of a school's academic calendar is in determining academic eligibility as part of the transfer process, i.e., did you make sufficient grades to remain eligible.

I can't imagine a reasonable court saying that this is any sort of undue burden and I don't know that there's any other reasonable way to determine or count athletic eligibility.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » April 23rd, 2024, 1:14 pm

TylerDurden wrote:You currently can't transfer and then play within the same athletic season, semester break or not, because the NCAA determines eligibility for any one player at any one school by sport season.

The significance of a school's academic calendar is in determining academic eligibility as part of the transfer process, i.e., did you make sufficient grades to remain eligible.

I can't imagine a reasonable court saying that this is any sort of undue burden and I don't know that there's any other reasonable way to determine or count athletic eligibility.

The only question I have about that Tyler, is there have been kids who've transferred in at semester under the old system and been able to play. The most memorable to me was Paul Oliney signing with MU at semester break after watching MU get killed by Arkansas in Nov., then leading MU to the BIG8 title second semester.

Also kids have been held out of second semester playing after not meeting requirements in the 1st semester, which would suggest that if they can be held out as ineligible, then why couldn't it signal eligibility if you are in good standing for transfer to another school. also vice versa , Roshonda Reed was held out of 1st semester playing back in the 90's until she had gotten grades back up , and then she was eligible second semester.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » April 23rd, 2024, 1:40 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:
TylerDurden wrote:You currently can't transfer and then play within the same athletic season, semester break or not, because the NCAA determines eligibility for any one player at any one school by sport season.

The only question I have about that Tyler, is there have been kids who've transferred in at semester under the old system and been able to play. The most memorable to me was Paul Oliney signing with MU at semester break after watching MU get killed by Arkansas in Nov., then leading MU to the BIG8 title second semester.

Not being familiar with O'Liney's story, I went to the Google and found this from PowerMizzou:

Sitting out the first semester while he finished his junior college credits, O'Liney claimed to choose the Tigers because he watched them lose by 52 points to Arkansas on national television and thought he could offer some assistance.

He basically was working on his academic eligibility. That is pretty common.

I am interested in the idea that a player in a sport that crosses academic terms, could play for School A, transfer to School B and play in the subsequent semester during the same sport season.

The NCAA eligibility structure definitely doesn't currently allow for that, but there has been a lot of movement in the player eligibility space. Even if I don't think a reasonable court would ever decide that the NCAA was being restrictive or doing anything illegal by using its current eligibility standards...we have seen some pretty unreasonable rulings by some unqualified judges across a range of issues. Throw in political aspirations of state's AGs and you never know.

Kinda related: I just read an article dated last night that said the NCAA board of directors just removed the year-in-residence requirement for second-(or more) time transfers. That used to require an exception waiver.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TylerDurden » April 23rd, 2024, 1:53 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:
Also kids have been held out of second semester playing after not meeting requirements in the 1st semester, which would suggest that if they can be held out as ineligible, then why couldn't it signal eligibility if you are in good standing for transfer to another school. also vice versa , Roshonda Reed was held out of 1st semester playing back in the 90's until she had gotten grades back up , and then she was eligible second semester.

This bit got in after I hit reply, but it's a question worth considering.

What you described speaks to how the NCAA determines the eligibility for one player for one sport season at one school. If that changes, then player could theoretically move at semester during a sports season.

I don't think that a shift in the eligibility process will happen in any voluntary way because: 1.) Schools would almost unanimously be opposed; 2.) Schools are the ones who make the NCAA rules; 3.) I don't think that there's anything illegal against having eligibility rules - no one is forcing players to play in NCAA competition.

To me, the question this hypothetical centers on is if the NCAA is allowed to set eligibility rules for people who elect to participate in their competitions. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me the answer is yes - provided they aren't illegal.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » April 23rd, 2024, 4:21 pm

TylerDurden wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:

This bit got in after I hit reply, but it's a question worth considering.

What you described speaks to how the NCAA determines the eligibility for one player for one sport season at one school. If that changes, then player could theoretically move at semester during a sports season.

I don't think that a shift in the eligibility process will happen in any voluntary way because: 1.) Schools would almost unanimously be opposed; 2.) Schools are the ones who make the NCAA rules; 3.) I don't think that there's anything illegal against having eligibility rules - no one is forcing players to play in NCAA competition.

To me, the question this hypothetical centers on is if the NCAA is allowed to set eligibility rules for people who elect to participate in their competitions. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me the answer is yes - provided they aren't illegal.

But aren't transfer rules eligibility rules, and they're saying they can't make kids ineligible and have to sit after a second transfer, so that's saying they can't enforce some eligibility rules ??
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » April 23rd, 2024, 8:50 pm

BEARZ77 wrote: But aren't transfer rules eligibility rules, and they're saying they can't make kids ineligible and have to sit after a second transfer, so that's saying they can't enforce some eligibility rules ??

As I understand it, the NCAA is now saying that they no longer require a waiver for second-or-more time transfers to be able to compete right away, assuming they have their academics in order. It's more of a change/elimination of the rule as opposed to a lack of enforcement.

I'm not sure if I'd call transfer rules eligibility rules, but they're certainly intertwined because you have to be academically eligible on both sides of the transfer. The transfer process if more of a checklist that includes academic eligibility considerations, IMO. Perhaps that's me trying to find a difference without a distinction.

I won't be surprised if the idea of intra-season transfers becomes a legal matter at some point. I'm not sure it makes much logistical or practical sense for a player or coach - are we then cutting players from a roster mid-season to accommodate a transfer? - but people want to win and some people will try to win at all or any cost.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » April 23rd, 2024, 9:10 pm

TylerDurden wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote: But aren't transfer rules eligibility rules, and they're saying they can't make kids ineligible and have to sit after a second transfer, so that's saying they can't enforce some eligibility rules ??

As I understand it, the NCAA is now saying that they no longer require a waiver for second-or-more time transfers to be able to compete right away, assuming they have their academics in order. It's more of a change/elimination of the rule as opposed to a lack of enforcement.

I'm not sure if I'd call transfer rules eligibility rules, but they're certainly intertwined because you have to be academically eligible on both sides of the transfer. The transfer process if more of a checklist that includes academic eligibility considerations, IMO. Perhaps that's me trying to find a difference without a distinction.

I won't be surprised if the idea of intra-season transfers becomes a legal matter at some point. I'm not sure it makes much logistical or practical sense for a player or coach - are we then cutting players from a roster mid-season to accommodate a transfer? - but people want to win and some people will try to win at all or any cost.

I think some coaches may not go into the season with all 13 rides taken. They might save one for a mid season guy.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby municup14 » April 24th, 2024, 4:24 am

So this whole transfer bullshit says, as long as the player is in good academic standards and is continuing there education the player can transfer every year.Now my question, is correct me if I'm wrong,if you transfer from one school to another your credit hours might not transfer with you. If this is true you're not advancing your education.
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball