Missouri State leaving MVC for CUSA

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Another Expansion/Realignment Thread

Postby squirrel » May 10th, 2024, 11:49 am

The WAC as a going concern will be dead by July 1. It will linger for a couple years while future moves are executed.

But, you're going to see the Texas schools all go back to the Southland (Abilene Christian, Tarleton, SFA, UTA), at least temporarily. And the 3 Utah schools all go to the Summit.

That would leave just Cal Baptist without a home. Although UT Arlington as a non-football is likely to continue to pursue other options, including the Valley.

It is also possible you see a new southern/southeastern basketball-only league start with something like this:

Bellarmine
Florida Gulf Coast
Jacksonville
Lipscomb
New Orleans
Northern Kentucky
North Florida
Texas Arlington
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby IllinoisState » May 10th, 2024, 12:00 pm

ReZyNeZy wrote:
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
The bolded here in ColonialBulldog's post is what people need to pay attention to. The presidents simply aren't adding schools in Youngstown/Green Bay/Fort Wayne-sized markets given their mission to drive enrollment unless the school in question has the history and fan support of Murray St to make an exception. Those schools aren't even being entertained.

Then really there are only 3 candidates worth adding. UWM, St. Thomas., or NKU. All others are just not feasible because of market

The fact that we gave serious consideration to UMKC and Omaha wont let me rule out any school.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » May 10th, 2024, 12:09 pm

squirrel wrote:The WAC as a going concern will be dead by July 1. It will linger for a couple years while future moves are executed.

But, you're going to see the Texas schools all go back to the Southland (Abilene Christian, Tarleton, SFA, UTA), at least temporarily. And the 3 Utah schools all go to the Summit.

That would leave just Cal Baptist without a home. Although UT Arlington as a non-football is likely to continue to pursue other options, including the Valley.

It is also possible you see a new southern/southeastern basketball-only league start with something like this:

Bellarmine
Florida Gulf Coast
Jacksonville
Lipscomb
New Orleans
Northern Kentucky
North Florida
Texas Arlington

I think the Big West will add Cal Baptist. Remember, they had a private school in Pacific for decades, and CBU evens out the numbers at 12.

A school with CBU's budget and fan support won't be left without a conference.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » May 10th, 2024, 12:19 pm

squirrel wrote:The WAC as a going concern will be dead by July 1. It will linger for a couple years while future moves are executed.

Bellarmine
Florida Gulf Coast
Jacksonville
Lipscomb
New Orleans
Northern Kentucky
North Florida
Texas Arlington

I think the Big West will add Cal Baptist. Remember, they had a private school in Pacific for decades, and CBU evens out the numbers at 12.

A school with CBU's budget and fan support won't be left without a conference.

Absolutely.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » May 10th, 2024, 12:27 pm

CUSA costs far more than the playoff/TV money gained. This is a good breakdown:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/cost-pre ... =share_via

MSU’s football budget is currently $4MM and the CUSA median football budget is $12MM:

https://knightnewhousedata.org/fbs/c-us ... ion_data-2

The CFP payout for a CUSA school is only $1.5MM, so that’s a lot to make up if they want to be competitive, especially given increased travel costs, more scholarships, and higher salaries.

Ultimately the move is made for prestige, which you can’t put a price on. You might get a handful of games on CBS Sports Network and ESPNU. And a minor bowl here and there on ESPN. Granted FCS playoff games can be on ESPN too.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » May 10th, 2024, 12:42 pm

Mikovio wrote:CUSA costs far more than the playoff/TV money gained. This is a good breakdown:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/cost-pre ... =share_via

MSU’s football budget is currently $4MM and the CUSA median football budget is $12MM:

https://knightnewhousedata.org/fbs/c-us ... ion_data-2

The CFP payout for a CUSA school is only $1.5MM, so that’s a lot to make up if they want to be competitive, especially given increased travel costs, more scholarships, and higher salaries.

Ultimately the move is made for prestige, which you can’t put a price on. You might get a handful of games on CBS Sports Network and ESPNU. And a minor bowl here and there on ESPN. Granted FCS playoff games can be on ESPN too.

Their president has been bound and determined to get them into FBS for years, he's retiring and the clock is ticking so he jumped. Also helps that he has to deal with ZERO of the consequences that follow.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » May 10th, 2024, 1:16 pm

FBS football is about a lot more than payouts, but yeah, it doesn't make much financial sense for anyone at the G5 level if you can't get your donors to pony up.

The reality is that C-USA has lost several bowl affiliations, so even the chances for a bowl payout are reduced.

Like I mentioned earlier, the development staff has to sell the pipe dream now. I get why people do it, but I've seen enough schools at that level to know it will mostly suck.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ReZyNeZy » May 10th, 2024, 2:02 pm

TylerDurden wrote:FBS football is about a lot more than payouts, but yeah, it doesn't make much financial sense for anyone at the G5 level if you can't get your donors to pony up.

The reality is that C-USA has lost several bowl affiliations, so even the chances for a bowl payout are reduced.

Like I mentioned earlier, the development staff has to sell the pipe dream now. I get why people do it, but I've seen enough schools at that level to know it will mostly suck.

I get wanting to sell the FBS dream, but they are going to be hard pressed to convince donors this is a good move when they are coming from a "basketball school" mindset. Maybe I'm just too new, but I never saw anything from MO State claiming they were trying to sell themselves as a football school. Only that they wished to become FBS. A lot of football programs are still ran at a loss, and without the strength in Basketball to back them um $ wise. This is not going to pan out well.
ReZyNeZy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » May 10th, 2024, 2:13 pm

ReZyNeZy wrote:
TylerDurden wrote:FBS football is about a lot more than payouts, but yeah, it doesn't make much financial sense for anyone at the G5 level if you can't get your donors to pony up.

I get wanting to sell the FBS dream, but they are going to be hard pressed to convince donors this is a good move when they are coming from a "basketball school" mindset. Maybe I'm just too new, but I never saw anything from MO State claiming they were trying to sell themselves as a football school. Only that they wished to become FBS. A lot of football programs are still ran at a loss, and without the strength in Basketball to back them um $ wise. This is not going to pan out well.

FBS typically isn't a hard sell for donors at traditional basketball mid-majors because we live in a football-dominant country. Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Liberty, Charlotte, Old Dominion, and New Mexico State were all basketball schools, but those donors still wanted to prioritize FBS football.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ReZyNeZy » May 10th, 2024, 2:26 pm

ReZyNeZy wrote:

FBS typically isn't a hard sell for donors at traditional basketball mid-majors because we live in a football-dominant country. Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Liberty, Charlotte, Old Dominion, and New Mexico State were all basketball schools, but those donors still wanted to prioritize FBS football.

I feel like donors would have a bad taste in their mouth going to a conference that doesn't have that strong of basketball. A basketball school pulling a complete 180 is bound to scratch a few heads. Going from a top 10 conference in the country (3rd best mid major) to #16 is a massive drop.
ReZyNeZy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball