Another Expansion/Realignment Thread

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Another Expansion/Realignment Thread

Postby FunchessonPopcorn » May 20th, 2024, 3:49 pm

BCPanther wrote:Welcome back VUGrad.

Fantastic post.

While I think it's going to end up being NKU in the end, my preference is St Thomas when they're available in '27. The scheduling is going to suck for two years with 11 but it doesn't make sense to split the shrinking pie with an add that doesn't check all the boxes.

That arena they're building up there more than shows their desire to compete at the highest level.

True enough, and if the die is pretty well cast on the one bid thing, then to me it’s certainly not nothing that we all play a complete league schedule and have a true champion that isn’t distorted by some goofy schedule imbalance.
FunchessonPopcorn
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby VUGrad1314 » May 20th, 2024, 4:57 pm

If we do add NKU and St Thomas does become available I could get behind Wright State as #14. Travel partner for NKU Good attendance Big rivalry with NKU Solid overall athletic department kind of like Missouri State. Familiarity with Valpo and UIC (people would come out to those games) only issue is market duplication. In a world where an MVC at 12 is determined to add St Thomas (assuming such a world exists) Milwaukee makes so much sense Its just too bad they've been down for so long And I agree we should be careful not to be too much like the Horizon but the enrollment cliff is a real thing and the MVC needs markets to survive institutionally Its just a matter of picking the right ones geographically demographically institutionally and athletically. I like the idea of the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky market. It's crowded but it's a hoops hotbed and growing. Going into the northern tier of states would be nice for Valpo because there's a lot of Lutherans there but we have to do what's best for the conference not just one school.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby IllinoisState » May 20th, 2024, 5:44 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:If we do add NKU and St Thomas does become available I could get behind Wright State as #14. Travel partner for NKU Good attendance Big rivalry with NKU Solid overall athletic department kind of like Missouri State. Familiarity with Valpo and UIC (people would come out to those games) only issue is market duplication. In a world where an MVC at 12 is determined to add St Thomas (assuming such a world exists) Milwaukee makes so much sense Its just too bad they've been down for so long And I agree we should be careful not to be too much like the Horizon but the enrollment cliff is a real thing and the MVC needs markets to survive institutionally Its just a matter of picking the right ones geographically demographically institutionally and athletically. I like the idea of the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky market. It's crowded but it's a hoops hotbed and growing. Going into the northern tier of states would be nice for Valpo because there's a lot of Lutherans there but we have to do what's best for the conference not just one school.

I'm against Wright State only for the fact that they have had really bad problems with enrollment and their budget. They might be on the right track now, but I'd still be concerned.

https://www.wright.edu/retirees-associa ... eral-years
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » May 20th, 2024, 5:53 pm

I totally get that. Not sure if all of that is fixed or
or not. Hoping D1360 or Matt Brown or someone else in the know can set the record straight on that for us.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » May 21st, 2024, 3:33 pm

Found a board discussing MVC expansion
https://csnbbs.com/thread-990766-page-9.html

Not gonna lie, it was a rough read. Lots of people who didn't seem very knowledgeable. The bullet poster, for example, had no idea what he was talking about, acted like he knew everything, and just got annihilated.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby IllinoisState » May 21st, 2024, 7:29 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Found a board discussing MVC expansion
https://csnbbs.com/thread-990766-page-9.html

Not gonna lie, it was a rough read. Lots of people who didn't seem very knowledgeable. The bullet poster, for example, had no idea what he was talking about, acted like he knew everything, and just got annihilated.

That poster doesn't know what they're talking about, but at this time I don't see that we've received any indication on what direction the MVC will be going. They've traditionally been very tight lipped.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ReZyNeZy » May 24th, 2024, 1:46 am

Just read up on the court settlements from earlier yesterday. Some things I like, and some things that become very concerning in the future. I like the idea of a salary cap and an effort to combat pay for play and booster money. On my eyes the boosters were a major issue of the old NIL format. I like the idea of being able to offer scholarships to all athletes under a sport. The salary cap was a much needed addition if this was going to become mainstream. While 22 mil is a bit high for a lot of schools. It puts a limit on the big booster schools.

However, as most articles (and some posters mentioned) non revenue sports are effectively dead. There is no room for them anymore when money is going to be put towards paying athletes. Also, allowing the power conferences to develop rules for themselves is just going to alienate the non power conferences even more. Keep in mind these power schools only have 1 sport in mind where players play with a brown ball, and it isn't the spherical one. Making decisions from a purely football standpoint is what got the NCAA in this mess, buy handing over the regulation to the very schools who started the problem is going to cause trouble down the line.
ReZyNeZy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » May 24th, 2024, 5:13 am

ReZyNeZy wrote:Just read up on the court settlements from earlier yesterday. Some things I like, and some things that become very concerning in the future. I like the idea of a salary cap and an effort to combat pay for play and booster money. On my eyes the boosters were a major issue of the old NIL format. I like the idea of being able to offer scholarships to all athletes under a sport. The salary cap was a much needed addition if this was going to become mainstream. While 22 mil is a bit high for a lot of schools. It puts a limit on the big booster schools.

However, as most articles (and some posters mentioned) non revenue sports are effectively dead. There is no room for them anymore when money is going to be put towards paying athletes. Also, allowing the power conferences to develop rules for themselves is just going to alienate the non power conferences even more. Keep in mind these power schools only have 1 sport in mind where players play with a brown ball, and it isn't the spherical one. Making decisions from a purely football standpoint is what got the NCAA in this mess, buy handing over the regulation to the very schools who started the problem is going to cause trouble down the line.

The real problem isn’t NIL. Or pay for play. Or boosters.

It’s the universities and athletic departments themselves. When they make TV deals in the billions of dollars, play in stadiums that seat over 80,000 people, and make millions of dollars on merchandise and licensing deals any idea of this stuff being “amateur” is a joke.

They want all the money but don’t want to give any of it away. They use the guise of “education” “student-athletes”, and “equality” - as if those are things member schools REALLY want.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby IllinoisState » May 24th, 2024, 7:59 am

ReZyNeZy wrote:Just read up on the court settlements from earlier yesterday. Some things I like, and some things that become very concerning in the future. I like the idea of a salary cap and an effort to combat pay for play and booster money. On my eyes the boosters were a major issue of the old NIL format. I like the idea of being able to offer scholarships to all athletes under a sport. The salary cap was a much needed addition if this was going to become mainstream. While 22 mil is a bit high for a lot of schools. It puts a limit on the big booster schools.

Maybe this will benefit the non-scholarship and non-football playing schools.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ReZyNeZy » May 24th, 2024, 9:52 am

I see that the language being used is "semi-pro" in lawsuits that were just settled. If that is the case, I see no reason as to why schools shouldn't be allowed to draft contracts that students must sign that limit transferring and impose penalties if contracts are breached. These kids are "professionals" after all. Shortly there is going to be a clash between the pro leagues and the "semi pro" league. We have already seen players like Marvin Harrison Jr not sign his licensing deal with the NFL because he already has a deal with another brand. I'd be hard pressed to think that the NFL isn't going to come after NIL in order to protect their brand partners. Situations like NIL Larry having a deal with Fanatics for his jerseys, but the MLB has a deal with Nike is going to become a lot more common.

As for Quest, I agree. The massive TV deals that we are seeing are probably the catalyst that pushed the question of paying athletes to a foothold. You simply cant hide a multimillion-dollar TV deal behind the guise of furthering education. If the NCAA had never lost the rights to CFB in the first place, we probably would never have had this question arise in the first place.

I believe more non-scholarship leagues for football will pop up. Most FCS (and a considerable amount of FBS) schools run their football programs at a loss still. This new NIL, and back pay, system being developed only put these programs further in the red. Non-Scholarship = Non-Revenue.
ReZyNeZy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball