Former Shocker Gal Mekel signs 3-year deal with Mavericks

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby iSASO » July 1st, 2013, 9:43 pm

Yes, the Mavericks. Mark Cuban's Mavericks. The NBA's Dallas Mavericks. Expected to make a run at the starting point guard position. So much for the naysayers. 3 years, $2.3 million guaranteed.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9441916
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Former Shocker Gal Mekel signs 3-year deal with Maverick

Postby glm38 » July 2nd, 2013, 11:35 am

iSASO wrote:Yes, the Mavericks. Mark Cuban's Mavericks. The NBA's Dallas Mavericks. Expected to make a run at the starting point guard position. So much for the naysayers. 3 years, $2.3 million guaranteed.

That's awesome. Glad to see any former MVC guys in the Nba. He must have really improved his game though? I barely remember him at WSU. Just shows you never can tell how a player will develop out of HS or college.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Haha » July 2nd, 2013, 12:06 pm

glm38 wrote:
iSASO wrote:Yes, the Mavericks. Mark Cuban's Mavericks. The NBA's Dallas Mavericks. Expected to make a run at the starting point guard position. So much for the naysayers. 3 years, $2.3 million guaranteed.

That's awesome. Glad to see any former MVC guys in the Nba. He must have really improved his game though? I barely remember him at WSU. Just shows you never can tell how a player will develop out of HS or college.

You don't remember him much from college cause he basically sucked in college. He had obvious skills but his game just didn't match up with the college game and certainly not Marshall's kind of game. Good for him and hope he does well.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » July 2nd, 2013, 10:30 pm

Haha wrote:You don't remember him much from college cause he basically sucked in college. He had obvious skills but his game just didn't match up with the college game and certainly not Marshall's kind of game. Good for him and hope he does well.

Well, his second season was a bit over 9 ppg and nearly 4 apg as a PG. So ... I wouldn't say he sucked. There was clearly a lot of talent there but also a disconnect with the style he was playing in. We were a terrible team that year, though.

I liked his game a lot when he was at WSU ... I think he would have been a very good player if he had stayed for all four years rather than heading back to Israel.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » July 14th, 2013, 8:55 pm

Gal is having some nice games in the Summer League, as is Toure' Murry with the Knicks.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BradleyBrave » August 2nd, 2013, 7:59 pm

On the one had I agree with everyone who wants as many MVC players in the NBA as possible. On the other hand, I would be mad if I was a WSU fan that he was so pedestrian at WSU if he indeed was an NBA talent. But good for him, he had to have worked very hard to get to that level. Mazel Tov!
"At some point in the near future, we're going to have a team out there competing for championships" - Geno Ford, November 9, 2011.
BradleyBrave
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby rlh04d » August 2nd, 2013, 8:08 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:On the one had I agree with everyone who wants as many MVC players in the NBA as possible. On the other hand, I would be mad if I was a WSU fan that he was so pedestrian at WSU if he indeed was an NBA talent. But good for him, he had to have worked very hard to get to that level. Mazel Tov!

Wouldn't really say 9ppg and 4apg as a sophomore is pedestrian. But the WSU teams he was on were terrible.

Mekel, unfortunately, played for WSU at the worst time he possibly could have: right in the rebuilding period between Turgeon and Marshall. He could have been very good at the end of Turgeon's run or Marshall's third year on. Instead, he chose to go pro in Israel just before Marshall could give him a good team to play with.

I think a senior Mekel would have gotten WSU to the NCAA tournament in 2009-10 and put up great stats.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball