Official 2015-16 MVCfans.com Prediction - Champion

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Which team will win the MVC regular season championship?

Poll ended at October 12th, 2015, 1:10 pm

Evansville
26%
Wichita State
74%

Total votes : 43

Re: Official 2015-16 MVCfans.com Prediction - Champion

Postby PurpleAndWhite » October 9th, 2015, 11:59 am

shockalot wrote:I may be delusional but I think Marty might actually utilize his whole team's strengths this year and not hold them back.

Delusional. I have become such a cynic but I cannot see the man changing his ways.

shockalot wrote:I remain hopeful that Marty cuts loose from his game coaching pattern, one that was developed when he had sparse talent so needed to rely on a constant motion offense to free up "the" shooter, along with scratch, bump, and hold defense, just to try to stay competitive.

Every Aces fan hopes for the same as well but after 8 years it just is not going to happen.

Prove us wrong Marty.
PurpleAndWhite
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mathewson10 » October 9th, 2015, 12:19 pm

mvcfan wrote:

So what Matthewson is saying is the MVC is such a bad conference, WSU should win every game including the Conference Championship and the Conference Tournament. We already carry the conference when we play OUtside the League (including the NCAA) and now we just cannot lose ever. That is logical. :huh:

Apparently, you and other Shockers feel the conference is bad because you talk about carrying the entire conference, how much a failure the conference is when any non-conference games are lost, many Shockers predict 18-0 regular seasons, & talk about leaving the conference for better conferences. If the Shockers are as dominate as stated, then they should have no problem winning 3 games against the rest of the conference on a more consistent basis. I just feel that if your a top ten team & hardly any other teams in conference are ranked then winning the tourney should occur, as well. Other top ten teams do this in tougher conferences. Seems pretty logical, Mr.Spock.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Championz » October 9th, 2015, 12:51 pm

mathewson10 wrote:Apparently, you and other Shockers feel the conference is bad because you talk about carrying the entire conference, how much a failure the conference is when any non-conference games are lost, many Shockers predict 18-0 regular seasons, & talk about leaving the conference for better conferences. If the Shockers are as dominate as stated, then they should have no problem winning 3 games against the rest of the conference on a more consistent basis. I just feel that if your a top ten team & hardly any other teams in conference are ranked then winning the tourney should occur, as well. Other top ten teams do this in tougher conferences. Seems pretty logical, Mr.Spock.

77-13 against Valley competition in the last 5 years just destroyed your entire argument. I'd call that domination.

Wanna know how many conference tournaments UNC has won in the last 18 years? 2.
Wanna know how many conference tournaments KU has won in the last 4 years? 1.

You have very bad logic.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » October 9th, 2015, 1:07 pm

I guess I can't blame a UE fan for voting with their heart here but no idea how anyone else could vote Aces here.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mathewson10 » October 9th, 2015, 2:51 pm

Championz wrote:
mathewson10 wrote:Apparently, you and other Shockers feel the conference is bad because you talk about carrying the entire conference, how much a failure the conference is when any non-conference games are lost, many Shockers predict 18-0 regular seasons, & talk about leaving the conference for better conferences. If the Shockers are as dominate as stated, then they should have no problem winning 3 games against the rest of the conference on a more consistent basis. I just feel that if your a top ten team & hardly any other teams in conference are ranked then winning the tourney should occur, as well. Other top ten teams do this in tougher conferences. Seems pretty logical, Mr.Spock.

77-13 against Valley competition in the last 5 years just destroyed your entire argument. I'd call that domination.

Wanna know how many conference tournaments UNC has won in the last 18 years? 2.
Wanna know how many conference tournaments KU has won in the last 4 years? 1.

You have very bad logic.

My argument is that a conference tournament is not something to overlook. Resting guys? Just play the freshmen? This isn't the jv b game. For a team that goes to NCAA tourney it's an opportunity to improve your seeding. Not winning a mid-major conference tourney can have a large affect on how the committee views your school. As you know, who you get lined up against in the tourney can be the difference between making the final 4 or getting knocked out in the first/second round. I am not saying that WSU has not been good at basketball.

Bill Self stinks during conference & NCAA tourney & I don't think UNC as finished in the top 10 in the last 4-5 years. Plus both those schools play tougher competition (sos)
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » October 9th, 2015, 4:43 pm

I think it's fair to argue against the "WSU won't even try to win" argument. That's BS. Anything beyond that, eh.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » October 9th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Red wrote:I guess I can't blame a UE fan for voting with their heart here but no idea how anyone else could vote Aces here.

I am actually curious to hear the argument for Evansville to win the conference. Any takers that voted that way want to chime in?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » October 9th, 2015, 7:57 pm

For a team that has locked up an NCAA invite, a conference tourney is a way to work on the last elements to maximize a run in the NCAA's. It's not a series of "must-win" games.

I remember a few years back when WSU had a Fr named Ron Baker that no one had heard of because WSU was the only D1 team to give him a shot and he had been injured. He got a lot of minutes in the MVC tourney to knock some rust off. He didn't do much in the MVC tourney, but those games helped prepare him for what was coming.

Another Fr at WSU that year got more minutes in the tourney than he'd had during the year. A guy named VanVleet.

As I recall, Creighton won the conference tourney that year. CU went down in the first round in the NCAA's. WSU went down in the F4 that year. Looks like Louisville, who took the Shox out in the F4, may have to vacate that win for illegal recruiting and player incentives. Providing hookers to recruits and players is frowned on by the NCAA.

At this point in time for WSU, Arch Madness is a last-minute tuneup for the real tourney. It's sort of like early season exhibition games. Winning isn't as important as what can be learned from the games.

When the next Valley team that doesn't win in St. Louis gets an NIT championship, I will be a little more receptive to criticism of WSU's lack of championships in St. Louis.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rambler63 » October 10th, 2015, 2:23 pm

It's not a question of whether WSU or UE is better, it's by how much is WSU better than UE. If you're going by some numerical ranking number, I'd say WSU is probably one of the top 12-15 teams in the country. UE is probably going to be around the top 40-45, possibly on the bubble for an at large. They'll need to get OOC wins against Providence, Murray State, and Belmont-- at least-- to be considered. If UE can pull off a home win against WSU, that would probably seal it-- but they'll be 3 to 6 point dogs in that game, I think.

This seems like a year where there's an outside chance at a 2nd NCAA bid, but until a 2nd or 3rd place team can step up and win a signature OOC game, it's maybe 1 NCAA and 2-3 NIT teams. I think UE, ISUr, Loyola, and UNI all have a chance to be an NCAA bubble team if things come together.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Play Angry » October 10th, 2015, 3:14 pm

Rambler63 wrote:It's not a question of whether WSU or UE is better, it's by how much is WSU better than UE. If you're going by some numerical ranking number, I'd say WSU is probably one of the top 12-15 teams in the country. UE is probably going to be around the top 40-45, possibly on the bubble for an at large. They'll need to get OOC wins against Providence, Murray State, and Belmont-- at least-- to be considered. If UE can pull off a home win against WSU, that would probably seal it-- but they'll be 3 to 6 point dogs in that game, I think.

This seems like a year where there's an outside chance at a 2nd NCAA bid, but until a 2nd or 3rd place team can step up and win a signature OOC game, it's maybe 1 NCAA and 2-3 NIT teams. I think UE, ISUr, Loyola, and UNI all have a chance to be an NCAA bubble team if things come together.

This is a good post.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball