SIU

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: SIU

Postby bleach » November 29th, 2015, 7:19 pm

SIUMD wrote:First post.

I think most of Salukiland is thrilled about the 6-1 start. As we are entering the softer stretch of our schedule, leaving the non-conference with 2-3 losses is really a possibility at this point.

Softer than so far?????
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » November 29th, 2015, 7:29 pm

I think most of Salukiland is thrilled about the 6-1 start. As we are entering the softer stretch of our schedule, leaving the non-conference with 2-3 losses is really a possibility at this point.

To the above poster: The Bola suspension thread has 20 pages on SalukiNation at this point. The TL:DR is this:

Bola made a dumb mistake in his actions on the bench and should have known what he was getting into as he almost transferred at the end of last year. He deserved his suspension. On the other hand, Hinson has admitted to poor relationships with his players at the end of last year, and his transfer rate approaches C.Lo, including what will probably be now 3 players who were starting when they transferred. In conclusion, both parties are at fault, which is unfortunate as we would probably be 7-0 if Bola had played against UTEP.

I will say that there is a lack of SIU coverage here on mvcfans.com, at least lately. I would encourage the moderators to try to engage all teams, rather than cater to a few. For example, while not placing Armon Fletcher on the ballot of potential FOTY is excusable (watch out for him later though!), the Mike Rodriguez for NOTY omission, and especially not having Anthony Beane on the list for potential first team all-Valley is not. He was 3rd in the Valley last year in PPG, so Beane being near the top of the Valley in PPG is not a surprise by any stretch of the imagination. If you need a suggestion of who we think may have potential, let us know.

Thanks for reading.

Congratulations on your season thus far. When Will Bola be back?

Regarding a lack of SIU coverage - I think the amount of coverage is directly related to the number of each MVC teams fans that post on here. There simply aren't many Saluki fans actively posting on MVC fans right now.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SIUMD » November 29th, 2015, 8:19 pm

glm38 wrote:

To the above poster: The Bola suspension thread has 20 pages on SalukiNation at this point. The TL:DR is this:

Bola made a dumb mistake in his actions on the bench and should have known what he was getting into as he almost transferred at the end of last year. He deserved his suspension. On the other hand, Hinson has admitted to poor relationships with his players at the end of last year, and his transfer rate approaches C.Lo, including what will probably be now 3 players who were starting when they transferred. In conclusion, both parties are at fault, which is unfortunate as we would probably be 7-0 if Bola had played against UTEP.

I will say that there is a lack of SIU coverage here on mvcfans.com, at least lately. I would encourage the moderators to try to engage all teams, rather than cater to a few. For example, while not placing Armon Fletcher on the ballot of potential FOTY is excusable (watch out for him later though!), the Mike Rodriguez for NOTY omission, and especially not having Anthony Beane on the list for potential first team all-Valley is not. He was 3rd in the Valley last year in PPG, so Beane being near the top of the Valley in PPG is not a surprise by any stretch of the imagination. If you need a suggestion of who we think may have potential, let us know.

Thanks for reading.

Congratulations on your season thus far. When Will Bola be back?

Regarding a lack of SIU coverage - I think the amount of coverage is directly related to the number of each MVC teams fans that post on here. There simply aren't many Saluki fans actively posting on MVC fans right now.

It is yet to be determined if he will be back, let alone when. If he is gone for good, this would leave a broken-down Ibby Djimde, a not-quite ready for primetime RS freshman Austin Weiher, and a really not ready for primetime true freshman Rudy Stradnieks manning the inside for the Dawgs.
SIUMD
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby PantherSigEp » November 29th, 2015, 11:25 pm

bleach wrote:

Softer than so far?????

That's what I thought.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 30th, 2015, 6:11 am

Thanks for reading.

The nominees are put forth by that teams fans. Saluki fans were not nominating their players.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » November 30th, 2015, 8:26 am

Very articulate first post and welcome to the board. I think a lot of us are happy to see SIU's early season success and would like to see the program get back to where SIU once was. As wufan noted, the preseason awards are voted on by fans based on nominations. Beane's omission from the vote is more on me than anyone though, but please don't take that as a slight. I had him preseason first team LAST year and second team this year. Link: wp/2015/10/27/my-2015-16-preseason-all-mvc-teams-and-individual-award-selections/

It's good to finally have some Valley hoops discussion again. Should be an entertaining year.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Drakey » November 30th, 2015, 11:17 am

We're luck that SIU is winning or we would be looking at the lowest conference RPI in history. The Valley is currently 15th, which is lower than any finish I can remember. Without SIU we would probably be at #20. I was counting on WSU to keep the Valley RPI up until some programs could improve. I think most programs are moving in the right direction, so it is unfortunate that WSU has dropped to #255.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » November 30th, 2015, 12:25 pm

Drakey wrote:We're luck that SIU is winning or we would be looking at the lowest conference RPI in history. The Valley is currently 15th, which is lower than any finish I can remember. Without SIU we would probably be at #20. I was counting on WSU to keep the Valley RPI up until some programs could improve. I think most programs are moving in the right direction, so it is unfortunate that WSU has dropped to #255.

Yah we weren't counting on losing 1/3 of our team to start the year.

Seeing how it's still November, it's a little early to be looking at RPI numbers.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » November 30th, 2015, 1:31 pm

Championz wrote:
Drakey wrote:We're luck that SIU is winning or we would be looking at the lowest conference RPI in history. The Valley is currently 15th, which is lower than any finish I can remember. Without SIU we would probably be at #20. I was counting on WSU to keep the Valley RPI up until some programs could improve. I think most programs are moving in the right direction, so it is unfortunate that WSU has dropped to #255.

Yah we weren't counting on losing 1/3 of our team to start the year.

Seeing how it's still November, it's a little early to be looking at RPI numbers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it important to have a good Conference RPI in the non-conference part of the season? My thoughts being, if everybody has a higher RPI from playing/beating higher RPI teams then once conference season begins it will be RPI #50 vs RPI #61 (example) instead of RPI #200 vs RPI #255? Hard to move up RPI when you are only beating 200 level RPI teams....

Maybe I am way off here as I am definitely not an RPI expert, but just my thoughts.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby COUTEAU » November 30th, 2015, 1:34 pm

bleach wrote:

Softer than so far?????

I'm sure he was referring that the combined record of the next four SIU opponents is (5-15).
Combined record of 7 previous opponents is (25-15).
COUTEAU
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball