MVC prospects for NBA draft

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC prospects for NBA draft

Postby havoc » May 24th, 2016, 4:56 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:I think the problem people have with some of the foreign players is many in the 2nd round are drafted with the team knowing full well that they're not going to have to pay them and they're not going to come over. But on the off chance the draftee does something unexpected in Europe, they have the rights to them. People would rather see college kids drafted in those instances. They're still not guaranteed a contract or a spot but they get their shot and guys would most likely rather be drafted than go the undrafted route.

Trump would solve this and make the NBA only draft American players!!!! :)

I understand why NBA teams do the "draft and follow" of younger foreign players. It makes a lot of sense.

The Boston Celtics did something similar with Larry Bird almost 40 years ago.

Similar yes, but quite different. The Celtics only held Bird's rights for one year. Teams today hold draftee's rights for 3.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red » June 20th, 2016, 1:40 pm

Any new projections have Baker or FVV being selected?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » June 20th, 2016, 7:06 pm

Red wrote:Any new projections have Baker or FVV being selected?

Yep. Both are considered borderline second rounders with Baker being favored over VanVleet.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » June 21st, 2016, 7:29 am

Both have had TONS (10+) workouts with various teams and have impressed multiple teams according to reports. They will be on an NBA roster .. drafted or not.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » June 22nd, 2016, 8:01 am

Read an SI article yesterday...neither was real impressive according to the guy.

I'll find it back.

Washpun has had 10-12 work outs as well. Isn't a draft pick but may get a shot. His athleticism and explosiveness are damn near unmatched.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » June 22nd, 2016, 10:45 am

http://www.campusrush.com/2016-nba-draft-scouting-reports-ben-simmons-brandon-ingram-1872857167.html?xid=si_social

Normally, Finch is a grouchy, dyspeptic, glass-is-half-empty type of guy. He is, after all, a professional nitpicker. It was heartwarming to hear his upbeat take about the players. Still, as always, there were plenty of nits to pick. This is Finch's big week, and he's ready to weigh in. So here's what he thinks about ...

Ron Baker, 6'4" senior guard, Wichita State: "Probably overrated as a shooter and underrated as an overall player. He's not an NBA talent, but he has some intangibles. He had a tendency to be their best player in the last five minutes. Maybe he gets drafted end of the second round, but he's probably headed for Europe."

Fred VanVleet, 5'11" senior guard, Wichita State: "I hear he's been working out great, but I don't see him making the league. What does he do? He couldn't hold Cat Barber's jock, and Cat's probably going to be middle second round. He's so small, not a great athlete, struggled getting places in pick and roll. I think he goes undrafted."

"Finch" is, apparently, an anonymous scout that's been doing the job for years...I guess...
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » June 23rd, 2016, 10:30 pm

Baker goes undrafted and signs 1 year partial guaranteed deal with Knicks
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » June 24th, 2016, 2:42 am

shocktheheart wrote:Baker goes undrafted and signs 1 year partial guaranteed deal with Knicks

Interesting that he's going to the same team as Cle Early. That may give him some small advantage having a former teammate that knows the in and outs of the league? Although I think the Knicks did just change coaches.

He's got a tough road ahead as an underrated prospect. Hope he makes it. The Knicks are a mess. They could use someone solid like a Ron Baker.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » June 24th, 2016, 6:55 am

I think Baker and Hornacek will get along great. It appears to be a good match as far as the coach goes.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » June 24th, 2016, 7:31 am

A couple of notes from last night:
Baker to the Knicks for a 1 year partially guaranteed. Knicks right now only have I think 6 people signed. Cleanthony is a restricted Free Agent, so he may or may not be a Knick next year, but I bet he will be.

FVV has been offered to try out for the Raptors and come to training camp.

FVV could have been taken with the 47th and 54th pick but turned down "draft and stash" offers (20k in the D Leauge). He's already had 50-100k offers just to try out since the draft ended.

http://www.rrstar.com/sports/20160623/e ... raft-night

I'm sure the same happened with Ron.

EDIT: Looks like Wes Washpun will be playing on the clippers summer league team.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball