Report: Wichita State has contacted Mountain West

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Report: Wichita State has contacted Mountain West

Postby Red » August 26th, 2016, 12:23 pm

Apparently there is a new AD at Wichita State. Does this change anything at all or are the decisions all being made by others?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby SubGod22 » August 26th, 2016, 12:30 pm

The new AD is the same guy that took over as interim when Sexton stepped down, so it doesn't change anything as he's been right in the middle of it all with President Bardo from the start. I have to believe he's proven himself to The Bardo and they both will be doing everything they can to put Wichita in the best place possible.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » August 27th, 2016, 5:37 pm

Red wrote:Apparently there is a new AD at Wichita State. Does this change anything at all or are the decisions all being made by others?

I have heard rumors that people who are the big donors at WSU have said "no" to football. They don't see it as good business decision. The AD experience is all in the area of basketball. There was some speculation that why he kept the interim title was in case there was a possibility of bringing football back and they might bring in a AD with football experience. So I think this pretty much ends the movement to bring football back in any form and is a commitment to basketball.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shockalot » August 27th, 2016, 10:18 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
Red wrote:Apparently there is a new AD at Wichita State. Does this change anything at all or are the decisions all being made by others?

I have heard rumors that people who are the big donors at WSU have said "no" to football. They don't see it as good business decision. The AD experience is all in the area of basketball. There was some speculation that why he kept the interim title was in case there was a possibility of bringing football back and they might bring in a AD with football experience. So I think this pretty much ends the movement to bring football back in any form and is a commitment to basketball.

Hope that this is indeed the case, because bringing back football at WSU is a fool's errand that would crash the cash cow and guarantee the end to it's dominant basketball success. WSU will never be in a football power conference. Best bet is either getting into a basketball power conference, i.e. Atlantic 10 version 4.0, or helping the MVC become one again, imo.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby uniftw » August 29th, 2016, 8:22 am

shockalot wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:

Hope that this is indeed the case, because bringing back football at WSU is a fool's errand that would crash the cash cow and guarantee the end to it's dominant basketball success. WSU will never be in a football power conference. Best bet is either getting into a basketball power conference, i.e. Atlantic 10 version 4.0, or helping the MVC become one again, imo.

I truly hope that WSU commits to the MVC and works with UNI to create and push an agenda for getting the ship righted for the rest of the conference.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » August 29th, 2016, 10:53 am

The best option for WSU, IMO, is a strong MVC.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shockalot » August 29th, 2016, 5:15 pm

Wufan wrote:The best option for WSU, IMO, is a strong MVC.

It is the best option only if it happens, and quickly though. If the trend line is not strongly up the next two seasons, probably also along with adding a couple more very good basketball schools with healthy budgets, then a team like WSU will almost have to jump to an option like the A10 if it were to come along, providing the A10 remains at least as good as it is now.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » August 30th, 2016, 5:39 am

shockalot wrote:
Wufan wrote:The best option for WSU, IMO, is a strong MVC.

It is the best option only if it happens, and quickly though. If the trend line is not strongly up the next two seasons, probably also along with adding a couple more very good basketball schools with healthy budgets, then a team like WSU will almost have to jump to an option like the A10 if it were to come along, providing the A10 remains at least as good as it is now.

If the lone goal is to get into a better basketball conference, then there are a few "fits" out there, however there are two or three issues with this:

1. Other conferences are not good fits via mission (Big East) or geography (A10)
2. Some of the best options are volatile in their membership (AAC) and could end up being worse than the Valley long term.
3. No other conference has sent us an open invite.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » August 30th, 2016, 9:36 am

uniftw wrote:I truly hope that WSU commits to the MVC and works with UNI to create and push an agenda for getting the ship righted for the rest of the conference.

Maybe I'm reading too much into your comment, but how exactly does WSU "work with UNI"?
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » August 30th, 2016, 10:02 am

2livewu wrote:
uniftw wrote:I truly hope that WSU commits to the MVC and works with UNI to create and push an agenda for getting the ship righted for the rest of the conference.

Maybe I'm reading too much into your comment, but how exactly does WSU "work with UNI"?

Both have similar interests in the MVC being a top 7 RPI conference again, much more so than the others. It's no secret they are the two most committed to basketball success.

If the two can form the start of an "alliance" to get schools willing to challenge themselves, look for members better than freaking LoyOLa to drive membership, etc...

Essentially "work together" to attempt to force change within the conference rather than sitting in Cedar Falls and Wichita bitching about the same thing but not having a unified voice pushing a well defined agenda.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball