Evansville Aces at #23 Butler University (Sat, Nov 27th)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Evansville Aces at #23 Butler University (Sat, Nov 27th)

Postby Ace Dad » November 25th, 2010, 1:54 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:Ace Dad, seems Sienna held him to 9 the last game. Just don't let him get easy open looks to knock down.
What about Howard? Whats the plan on him? I like watching Hopf, is he getting back? When I have seen him play in the past it seems he can be tough on defense? You definately need Colt to have another game like MTSU.

I agree with your thin line winning margin comments. Bottom line, if a team is going to be a contender or hope to go to the NCAA tourney you have to win, period.

The EU fans have to be enjoying this schedule win or lose. We are going to try to make it to the UNC game.

I have watched Mack for awhile and he is a cagey player who lets the game come to him. I think we can team defend him if we do not get into foul trouble. This will become difficult in the second half. Howard is a handful and a long, athletic player is probably the best bet on him. I did not see Hopf last year, but listened about him for the IU game and saw him for the MTSU game. He is going to help us a great deal when he is 100%. I like his game.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ace Dad » November 25th, 2010, 10:20 pm

Indy Star article where the Butler University coach talks to the difficulty of winning all conference games and the Duke University coach talks to Butler's willingness to play a tough out of conference schedule:

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010112 ... t|Sports|s
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SycamoreFanatic » November 26th, 2010, 9:20 am

Anything less than a 20-point loss would be a moral victory for the Aces. Ryan will get his points, as usual after the game is already decided. Never saw anyone score more points vs. the mop-up players than this guy does every game....................looks good in the box score I guess & gets him some accolades from those who don't watch the game or look at the play-by-play.
SycamoreFanatic
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Aces0976 » November 26th, 2010, 10:04 am

SycamoreFanatic wrote:Anything less than a 20-point loss would be a moral victory for the Aces. Ryan will get his points, as usual after the game is already decided. Never saw anyone score more points vs. the mop-up players than this guy does every game....................looks good in the box score I guess & gets him some accolades from those who don't watch the game or look at the play-by-play.

I guess it's a good thing we dont play Loyola or Eastern Kentucky, we'd surely lose by 50 or 60, especially with our lack of NBA talent. Btw, you might wanna "watch the game or look at the play-by-play", Ryan had 23 in the first half last game. I have no delusions of grandeur about the Aces this year, it's going to be a long year....but really dont ya think Indiana St fans have more pressing concerns than talking crap about other teams???
Aces0976
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Ace Dad » November 26th, 2010, 10:24 am

SycamoreFanatic wrote:Anything less than a 20-point loss would be a moral victory for the Aces. Ryan will get his points, as usual after the game is already decided. Never saw anyone score more points vs. the mop-up players than this guy does every game....................looks good in the box score I guess & gets him some accolades from those who don't watch the game or look at the play-by-play.

Fanatic, I think you are a tad too harsh.

The transition to college basketball for a Freshman player is huge. The vast majority do not start. Those who start typically do not play more than 20-25 minutes a game. Any floor time, shot situations, scores, and touches that Colt Ryan received last year are huge. Also, shooting and scoring in the 4th quarter is harder if you have played the whole game. Not sure if your bench players would appreciate you calling them "mop-up" players. I just left your website to read about your bench players and they have some pretty good basketball Resumes.

Have you ever wondered why college coaches sometimes pass on prolific scorers and shooters at the high school level. The coach looks at the player's height, quickness, shot release, quality of defense, and then asks himself if this high school 26 ppg scorer can get his shot in the MVC. The coach truly does not know until the kid is on campus and he plays against college defenders. Redshirthing awaits some. Bench time awaits others. Typically, the player can be developed over time to use ball fakes, stutter steps, and a quicker release to get his shot.

I saw the MTSU game. Ryan did an excellent job of being aggressive with his shot against some pretty athletic defenders.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby acesfool » November 26th, 2010, 10:38 am

All it takes for most UE fans is for a guy to get hot a couple of games each year. The rest of the time you can stink on ice and the Aces fans will give you a pass. This must go for the coach as well as the fans. Ryan has had a silver spoon in his mouth ever since arriving at UE and for some reason never faces bench time no matter how much he loafs or what he does. Acedad, fanatic probably neans nop up time instead of just mop up players. Players have a tendancy to have a let down when victory is secured and lose their intensity. Certain losing players will take advantage of these let downs and actually play harder in order to pad their stats. I have never been a fan of these kind of players and will call them out on it.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby PocketAces » November 26th, 2010, 8:29 pm

Butler opens as a 19 point favorite.
PocketAces
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Ace Dad » November 27th, 2010, 2:08 am

Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SycamoreFanatic » November 27th, 2010, 7:03 am

PocketAces wrote:Butler opens as a 19 point favorite.

I stand on my opening statement about a moral victory being anything under 20 and apparently the bookies agree. Although I may have been premature in picking the Aces as the #10 Valley team as it looks like the Drake will give you a run for it?

:duel:
SycamoreFanatic
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby WuDrWu » November 27th, 2010, 9:19 am

That's free money! Don't they know this was a one possession game last year???!!!! :buddies:

My toughest question today is what to do with all the extra money I am about to have!!!! :Beer:

:Yea!: :Yea!: :Yea!: :Yea!: :Yea!: :Yea!: :Yea!: :Yea!: :Yea!: :Yea!: :Yea!: :Yea!: :Yea!: :Yea!:
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball