Next years non-conference schedule

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Next years non-conference schedule

Postby E-Villan » September 1st, 2018, 10:40 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:What can the NCAA do about this? How are they going to address this? It's ridiculous.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -ramblers/

What they "can" do is much different than "will" do. Will is simple...nothing.

Can is one of two things. Either open up the NCAA Tourney to ALL teams, or get involved in the making of non-con schedules. Mandate an even amount of road and home games. Assign teams based on previous RPI to create fairly balanced non-con schedules across the board. The current structure is insane. Schools make their own schedules, decide who is in their division(conference) and then the majority are selected to post-season on a mere judgement call. Name another sport league of any true relevance that would allow its teams to schedule like this.

Imagine if one of them did. Take MLB for example. The teams make their own schedules, divide themselves into divisions, decide how many games they will play in the division, and how many home and road games they play. Once the season ends, the playoffs will not only consist of division winners, but multiple wild card teams solely decided by a group of people. Teams like Cincinnati would spend most of the summer playing Tampa, Baltimore, etc. Traditional rivals like the Cardinals and Cubs would be scarcely on the schedule if at all...and certainly any games would be in St. Louis or Chicago, never in Cincinnati. Soon, the Cards and Cubs would bolt the NL Central, and join a new division with the Dodgers, Giants, and a big market punching bag like the Mets or Phillies. Yankees and Red Sox would do something similar, grabbing Houston, Cleveland, along with Anaheim and Texas for market size. Then these two 'P2" divisions would only play the non-division teams at home, and play the bulk of their schedule against the other "P2" teams. Once you reach the time for "awarding" the post-season berths, demand berths for every one of their teams that has a .500 division record, and overall winning record from running up wins against the low teams at home early on. Should a team like Cincinnati manage to win their weakened division, and get a berth to the postseason, they would be sent to a 1 or 3 game series against the top "P2" team, all taking place at the "P2" ballpark.

Insanity..and the deck would be stacked to an almost impossible level for the small market teams, yet, this is exactly what the NCAA does with college basketball.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Rambler63 » September 1st, 2018, 3:21 pm

It's no coincidence that the cut-off number for Q1 road games and Q2 home games is 75... the exact number of teams in the P5+Big East.

There needs to be an accommodation for P2 games. Last year, Loyola (not so coincidentally):

1. Played the most games of any team in college basketball against P2 foes.
2. Had the best record in college basketball against P2 foes.
3. Made the Final Four.

For the NCAA selection committee, the only thing that matters is P1 games. It's basically the NCAA's claim that P2 games are meaningless, other than how they affect the RPI. Now they're throwing out the RPI as well.

If they even counted P2 games at 50% weighting, that would go a long way to addressing these inequities. It might even spark some big conference teams to play more good teams from smaller conferences, as they'll have a chance to benefit from a home game against a top 75 team.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » September 1st, 2018, 7:07 pm

While the system is certainly stacked against teams not in the p-5 + 1or2, I do have to point out every team in essence is in the NCAA Tourney except for those few who do not have conference tourneys. Because basically starting with the first game in your conference tourney, you get to play till you lose; it's just that about 35 other teams get a golden parachute of a second chance with at large bids.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Adunk33 » September 4th, 2018, 7:59 am

Following the Redbirds' 2017 NCAA Tournament Snub, the idea was floated to make scheduling fully transparent and have it as an item the NCAA Committee looks at. It is believed the Redbirds in 2017 tried to schedule several P5's that wouldn't play them. So the thought is, if you submit to the committee the games you attempted to schedule, they may say, "Hey...they can only play who is in front of them."

Obviously, this item would only be relevant to MM trying to make the tournament. It would never be adopted or taken seriously but it's a thought. Why not make scheduling fully transparent? Obviously, Loyola had a tough time scheduling this year, despite ending up with a pretty solid schedule overall.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » September 4th, 2018, 8:24 am

I like this idea especially if these gutless P5s receive some kind of penalty in seeding or decreased at large bids.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » September 4th, 2018, 11:07 am

That has zero value because all a school has to do is pursue unrealistic games against p-5 teams and then get turned down. Oh gosh, we asked Kansas, Duke, and Michigan State for games , and they wouldn't play us; give us credit for that. Yeah right. And who would arbitrarily determine if a request was realistic; is KU not but Oklahoma is . Is Oklahoma not but K State is. Is K State not but TCU is.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isumvc1 » September 4th, 2018, 5:21 pm

Sycamores released their non conference schedule today

November 6th AT Ball State
November 9th AT Green Bay
November 24th Western Kentucky University
November 28th AT San Jose State University (MVC-MWC challenge)
December 1st Wright State University
December 5th University of North Texas
December 16th AT Texas Christian University

December 22nd University of Colorado in HONOLULU, HAWAII
December 23rd UNLV OR HAWAII in HONOLULU, HAWAII
December 25th vs either Rhode Island, Bucknell, UNC-Charlotte, or Texas Christian in Honolulu, Hawaii

Just 10 non conference games, I suspect we'll see another home game in that gap between November 9th - 24th
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » September 4th, 2018, 5:55 pm

I hope 2 more games or that's weak AF and in line with Bradley
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isumvc1 » September 4th, 2018, 6:28 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:I hope 2 more games or that's weak AF and in line with Bradley

I totally see your point, but for me that's an ok schedule. I don't think we're supposed to be very good this year, we've had 4 losing seasons in a row (and getting worse). So we need winnable games on the schedule.

We have 7 Saturday home games, so hopefully the fans come back (if we start winning)
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » September 4th, 2018, 7:03 pm

isumvc1 wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:I hope 2 more games or that's weak AF and in line with Bradley

I totally see your point, but for me that's an ok schedule. I don't think we're supposed to be very good this year, we've had 4 losing seasons in a row (and getting worse). So we need winnable games on the schedule.

We have 7 Saturday home games, so hopefully the fans come back (if we start winning)

There should be two more games and its completely okay for one to be a D2 school because that's actually a pretty decent 10 but its unacceptable to play 28 games. In fact I don't even think it's legal. I think you have to schedule at least 29.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball