Standings after 9 games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Standings after 9 games

Postby valleychamp » January 23rd, 2012, 1:14 pm

UNI lead the conference in road attendance in '10 when we were in 1st place and in the top 25, while in that same year Creighton finished last.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 23rd, 2012, 1:19 pm

valleychamp wrote:UNI is leading the conference in road attendance right now at 8500.

Playing in front of 17,000 in Omaha and 13,500 at Iowa State will do that. Unfortunately, Creighton can't pad its stats by playing itself...

UNI's average home attendance, by comparison, is an abysmally low 4194.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Duan » January 23rd, 2012, 1:20 pm

Does anyone have the ability to get past seasons' attendance records? Do crowds always get larger when CU is in town? I am betting that the answer is more commonly yes rather than no without any proof in front of me.

Also, do the UNI fans have an excuse for everthing? Seems like they try to rationalize their problems instead of really owning them.
Duan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 23rd, 2012, 1:23 pm

valleychamp wrote:UNI lead the conference in road attendance in '10 when we were in 1st place and in the top 25, while in that same year Creighton finished last.

You can't compare road attendance like that. Every other team in the conference will benefit by the huge attendance figures at Creighton (and to a lesser extent, WSU), but Creighton (and to a lesser extent, WSU) can't pad attendance figures by playing themselves. Creighton's number of season ticket holders is more than the attendance capacity at every other arena in the conference! We have to travel to arenas where the best possible attendance might be 6000. Hence, you can't look attendance the way you are trying to....
Last edited by DoubleJayAlum on January 23rd, 2012, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » January 23rd, 2012, 1:24 pm

Drake led the conference in road attendance 4 years ago when they were in 1st and in the top 25.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 23rd, 2012, 1:25 pm

valleychamp wrote:Drake led the conference in road attendance 4 years ago when they were in 1st and in the top 25.

Did you calculate this the same dopey way you calculated UNi's road attendance?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » January 23rd, 2012, 1:27 pm

Duan wrote:Does anyone have the ability to get past seasons' attendance records? Do crowds always get larger when CU is in town? I am betting that the answer is more commonly yes rather than no without any proof in front of me.

Also, do the UNI fans have an excuse for everthing? Seems like they try to rationalize their problems instead of really owning them.

Excuse? You mean actual facts and statistics to back up what I am saying? Then yes.

This has nothing to do with UNI. It has to do with DJAs claim that Creighton always packs the road arenas every year, which is simply incorrect.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 23rd, 2012, 1:31 pm

valleychamp wrote:
Duan wrote:Does anyone have the ability to get past seasons' attendance records? Do crowds always get larger when CU is in town? I am betting that the answer is more commonly yes rather than no without any proof in front of me.

Excuse? You mean actual facts and statistics to back up what I am saying? Then yes.

Your numbers don't prove anything though. The only way to show that a road team is a big draw is to compare that teams attendance against the attendance of all other schools at each school. You can't just take an average of attendance across all games when you get two games in the biggest two arenas, while those same schools' numbers get punished by having to come to your rinky dink arena!
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 23rd, 2012, 1:36 pm

valleychamp wrote:This has nothing to do with UNI. It has to do with DJAs claim that Creighton always packs the road arenas every year, which is simply incorrect.

I never said "always." I said that this year Creighton has been the highest draw (or tied) at every single MVC arena they have played in, which is absolute fact. You said it is only because Creighton is in the top 25, which I disputed. You then threw around numbers which, while may be perfectly accurate, are absolutely meaningless because they negate the bump that schools with poor attendance get by playing in arenas that have attendance regardless of who they are playing...
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » January 23rd, 2012, 1:38 pm

Whatever, DJA. Take out everyone's game at Qwest if you want, and then run the numbers. 1 game out of 9 is not going to skew the numbers that dramatically.

People come out to watch good teams, that is the fact of the matter. When Creighton was irrelevant a couple years ago, nobody gave a crap about them. They are ranked this year, and that is why people are coming out. Same thing with UNI two years ago, Drake before that, and SIU before that.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball