MVC Games Week 8

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 8

Postby Bearvision » January 1st, 2023, 6:28 pm

MSU was the better team today over Drake. You thought with Drake's experience and DeVries' coaching they'd pull out another close win over the Bears, but not today.

Holy moly did the officials allow some mugging today. One clear foul against Brodie wasn't called on Clay that should have been free throws. Another play MSU bumped Drake pretty hard in the back and it should have been a push on an offensive rebound. Those two plays were clear to me, but MSU didn't score on their offensive rebound and Brodie probably only makes one of two FT's. So, the net impact is most likely one point there. (ancillary cascade of events notwithstanding)

Drake, however, got some serious help on the calls that went their way. To the tune of many points the Bears could've had.

End of game stretch was just odd. Bears have to inbound the ball a little better.
Bearvision
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby 30ASaluki » January 1st, 2023, 7:51 pm

Drake at SIU Wednesday. Let the games begin.
30ASaluki
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby isumvc1 » January 1st, 2023, 8:15 pm

BCPanther wrote:
isumvc1 wrote:after 3 straight deplorable non conference losses, Indiana State has rebounded with big wins over Evansville and at Valparaiso today, at Illinois State Weds., then home ve UIC Saturday

Did you guys ever get a pillowy soft start or what?

granted our schedule has been soft yes, but myself, and most INS fans really think we have a good team, we've kind of slid under the radar, but our 4 losses have been inexplicable, UMKC, Southern Indiana, Northern Illinois, and Duquesne, yuck, we just simply lost to teams we had no business losing to, its happens to everyone. See Evansville beating Kentucky a couple years ago.

We have a chance to win a lot of MVC games, most fans of other teams are understandably skeptical of the Sycamores, but once you see us play you'll see we can be pretty good. We'll just see how it all plays out, who knows?
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Salukimadness86 » January 1st, 2023, 8:24 pm

30ASaluki wrote:Drake at SIU Wednesday. Let the games begin.

LET'S GO!
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TylerDurden » January 1st, 2023, 10:12 pm

30ASaluki wrote:So I have been pondering something ever since it was announced that Murray was entering the MVC and Prohm was hired as coach. The MVC, as well as every other mid-major program in the country is considered, with few exceptions, as a stepping-stone program. As we all painfully know, the allure of exponentially bigger money and the razzle/dazzle of a major program is tough to compete against. So once a coach makes that transition, and sticks for a few years, and gets well paid on an annual basis, and gets a golden parachute when they are canned, what is the impetus for that person to bust their rear-end in a job that requires many hours away from home and family? Observing Murray thus far, I have had a feeling that their coach is on cruise control. I ran across the following this morning and was pretty much flabbergasted. Given that it was a home loss to a conference rival it should be filed under WTF in my opinion.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Ra ... m%3DSWAUA2

I have zero problems with anything he said and I don't think he's coasting - he's has an entirely new team and is going to take some lumps...but I really don't care for a coach bringing kids to a press conference (I also detest fans or other random people in them).

I'm all for family being a part of a coach's program. It's fun, they get to meet some awesome people and learn a variety of things and it allows for quality time that they otherwise would miss and that's important. If you want your kid to be at practice, fine. That's a coach's call. It's their space, they are only accountable to their team in that setting.

But, when you bring your kid on stage, it's a shield whether you intend it that way or not. It changes the dynamic in the room.

I'm also aware that there aren't many schools who are going to tell their men's basketball coach that he can't bring his kid up there - I think that's a mistake, but it is what it is.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » January 1st, 2023, 11:05 pm

BCPanther wrote:
isumvc1 wrote:after 3 straight deplorable non conference losses, Indiana State has rebounded with big wins over Evansville and at Valparaiso today, at Illinois State Weds., then home ve UIC Saturday

I would venture to say that Murray has the softest Valley schedule so far, and quite frankly, it’s not close. 3-1 with wins against Illinois State (OT), Valpo (OT), and Evansville. 1 difficult opponent, 1 loss.

Indiana State beat both Drake and SIU.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby racernation » January 1st, 2023, 11:40 pm

Prohm having his kids up there is unprofessional at worst. There was a time not long ago we all would say the same thing about a coach not wearing a tie on the sidelines. As long as he wins, I don't care.

On another note, SIU is the best team in the Valley right now.
racernation
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SalukiWorld » January 1st, 2023, 11:48 pm

racernation wrote:On another note, SIU is the best team in the Valley right now.

I’d go Bradley right now
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » January 1st, 2023, 11:56 pm

SalukiWorld wrote:
racernation wrote:On another note, SIU is the best team in the Valley right now.

I’d go Bradley right now

I’m not sure I completely agree with the comment, but damn it’s great to hear. First time I’ve ever heard it. I was a kid during the great years, and started watching SIU in 2013 (I was 18 at the time). We’ve never been in the conversation since I became a die hard fan.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » January 2nd, 2023, 8:47 am

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:
BCPanther wrote:

I would venture to say that Murray has the softest Valley schedule so far, and quite frankly, it’s not close. 3-1 with wins against Illinois State (OT), Valpo (OT), and Evansville. 1 difficult opponent, 1 loss.

Indiana State beat both Drake and SIU.

That's what sucks about the Nov/Dec games. They're just not representative but the realities of the calendar exist.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball