Another Expansion/Realignment Thread

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Another Expansion/Realignment Thread

Postby Dean Wormer » December 15th, 2023, 10:17 am

I don't think it is coincidental the only fans pining for Wichita weren't around when they were.

Let it go. It's like the friend who has the hot, but psychotic girlfriend. They break up and while he probably won't replace her with someone as hot, he is much happier.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby PretzelDawg » December 15th, 2023, 10:19 am

Will a major conference take Gonzaga if they don't have football? The only major conference like this is the Big Least.
PretzelDawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » December 15th, 2023, 10:33 am

PretzelDawg wrote:Will a major conference take Gonzaga if they don't have football? The only major conference like this is the Big Least.

The Big 12 wants to split football and basketball TV rights at their next renewal. Yormark really wants Gonzaga but he's having a tough time convincing his presidents and chancellors.

If the Big East doesn't end up doing well on their next deal, and with FOX not being as high on them as they once were, its possible the Big 12 could take Gonzaga, Creighton, UConn and Villanova and just create a ridiculous basketball league. That league is going to need something because they're going to be a horrible football league.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby IllinoisState » December 15th, 2023, 11:07 am

Dean Wormer wrote:I don't think it is coincidental the only fans pining for Wichita weren't around when they were.

Let it go. It's like the friend who has the hot, but psychotic girlfriend. They break up and while he probably won't replace her with someone as hot, he is much happier.

I'd rather add almost any other school than have Wichita State back in the Valley.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ali » December 16th, 2023, 10:22 am

BCPanther wrote:
PretzelDawg wrote:Will a major conference take Gonzaga if they don't have football? The only major conference like this is the Big Least.

The Big 12 wants to split football and basketball TV rights at their next renewal. Yormark really wants Gonzaga but he's having a tough time convincing his presidents and chancellors.

If the Big East doesn't end up doing well on their next deal, and with FOX not being as high on them as they once were, its possible the Big 12 could take Gonzaga, Creighton, UConn and Villanova and just create a ridiculous basketball league. That league is going to need something because they're going to be a horrible football league.

It seems to me that the next round will be a complete breakaway of the football programs only and then the basketball programs will still be under the NCAA umbrella, but conferences will once again regionalize. At least that is my hope.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » December 16th, 2023, 11:17 am

Ali wrote:
BCPanther wrote:

It seems to me that the next round will be a complete breakaway of the football programs only and then the basketball programs will still be under the NCAA umbrella, but conferences will once again regionalize. At least that is my hope.

This would make the most sense.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Chuck A » December 16th, 2023, 9:31 pm

Dean Wormer wrote:I don't think it is coincidental the only fans pining for Wichita weren't around when they were.

I guess I’m one of the ones you’ve included in your post. Sorry you misunderstood my posts as WANTING Wichita State back. Based on what’s transpired in realignment/expansion and the options available, I was just playing detective and giving my opinion, not my desires. I could care less about WSU rejoining the Valley. I’ve already given my choices if/when the conference expands. My choices are Northern Kentucky & Bellarmine. I wouldn’t mind St. Thomas for the Iowa schools.
UIC Flames
MVC Member Since 2022
Chuck A
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Fetz86 » December 17th, 2023, 6:34 pm

If for some reason Mo State makes it to the FBS there is no reason for the Shockers to come back, they would be on an island. I think they gladly stick it out having Tulsa as a regional rival.
Fetz86
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby TBS_20 » December 17th, 2023, 7:03 pm

No doubt in my mind if they can't get into the Mountain West and the AAC goes downhill, they'll join then A-10 before they even consider the MVC.
TBS_20
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TylerDurden » December 18th, 2023, 9:49 am

TBS_20 wrote:No doubt in my mind if they can't get into the Mountain West and the AAC goes downhill, they'll join then A-10 before they even consider the MVC.

In that situation, I'm sure they'd prefer the A10...but I don't think the A10 would prefer them.

Also, the AAC has gone downhill - that's undeniable - but so has Wichita State.

Gregg, as much of a complete a$$ as he was/is, had some damn good teams and was the one who made WSU a perennial top 25 team.

WSU, for all of its capacity and potential, wasn't destroying the league year in and year out before he arrived. Turgeon had them competitive, but he had as many regular season titles at Brian Wardle, didn't win Arch Madness (then the Creighton Invitational) and his last MVC team went 8-10 and finished 6th place in the league.

The right coach can make it really happen there, but that coach is a hard thing to find.

Without football, they're in no-man's land. The MVC is the best spot for them in a lot of ways, but not so much in others. When they left the MVC they put themselves into the FBS chaos. There's pluses and minuses, but it's where the live now.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball