Standings after 9 games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Standings after 9 games

Postby uniftw » January 23rd, 2012, 1:39 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
valleychamp wrote:This has nothing to do with UNI. It has to do with DJAs claim that Creighton always packs the road arenas every year, which is simply incorrect.

I never said "always." I said that this year Creighton has been the highest draw (or tied) at every single MVC arena they have played in, which is absolute fact. You said it is only because Creighton is in the top 25, which I disputed. You then threw around numbers which, while may be perfectly accurate, are absolutely meaningless because they negate the bump that schools with poor attendance get by playing in arenas that have attendance regardless of who they are playing...

You're point is valid...but if that was the case then we could safely assume Bradley could easily be leading the conference in road attendance this year...correct?

I'll bet, without a real dog in the fight, that whatever team is good that year leads the conference in road attendance (even with the games at CU and WSU taken out for all teams.)
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby havoc » January 23rd, 2012, 1:43 pm

Duan wrote:Does anyone have the ability to get past seasons' attendance records? Do crowds always get larger when CU is in town? I am betting that the answer is more commonly yes rather than no without any proof in front of me.

Also, do the UNI fans have an excuse for everthing? Seems like they try to rationalize their problems instead of really owning them.

For UE, the answer in no. Of all the years listed, the Creighton game has never been the best attended UE home game.

http://www.gopurpleaces.com/sports/2007 ... ath=mbball
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Kyle » January 23rd, 2012, 1:45 pm

I distinctly remember the Drake game at the McLeod Center in 2008. It was packed to the gills with fans standing all over the upper deck concourse area.

Edit: The attendance was 7,293 compared to 5,205 for the CU game in 08.
Last edited by Kyle on January 23rd, 2012, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 23rd, 2012, 1:51 pm

valleychamp wrote:Whatever, DJA. Take out everyone's game at Qwest if you want, and then run the numbers. 1 game out of 9 is not going to skew the numbers that dramatically.

Good lord, I hope you aren't a student in UNI's heralded accounting department! Of course it matters. The attendance at games in the Qwest/Century Link are, even in down years, TWICE TO THREE TIMES AS HIGH as attendance figures at some arenas!
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 23rd, 2012, 1:59 pm

uniftw wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:
valleychamp wrote:This has nothing to do with UNI. It has to do with DJAs claim that Creighton always packs the road arenas every year, which is simply incorrect.

I never said "always." I said that this year Creighton has been the highest draw (or tied) at every single MVC arena they have played in, which is absolute fact. You said it is only because Creighton is in the top 25, which I disputed. You then threw around numbers which, while may be perfectly accurate, are absolutely meaningless because they negate the bump that schools with poor attendance get by playing in arenas that have attendance regardless of who they are playing...

You're point is valid...but if that was the case then we could safely assume Bradley could easily be leading the conference in road attendance this year...correct?

Not at all. Why would that be the case? Besides, Bradley regularly has better home attendance than every team except for Creighton & WSU.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » January 23rd, 2012, 2:03 pm

When top 25 UNI came to Qwest in 2010, it was their highest attended game of the year at over 17K. Their second highest game? Wichita St, the #2 team in the conference.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » January 23rd, 2012, 2:09 pm

People come out to watch the good teams. It does not matter who it is. Creighton just happens to be "that" team this year.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » January 23rd, 2012, 2:10 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:Not at all. Why would that be the case? Besides, Bradley regularly has better home attendance than every team except for Creighton & WSU.

The point trying to be made is that the top teams in the conference in any given year will have the best road attendance even if the games at CU and WSU are taken out. You seem to be arguing the opposite....that means this year Bradley should lead the conference in road attendance....right? I mean, if the quality of the opponent doesn't matter.

I will bet SIU isn't drawing for their road games like they were circa 05-07, just like UNI isn't drawing on the road what they did in 09-10, and Drake in 08-09, etc...

The top teams in the conference will always have the top road attendances (CU being the exception for the reason you pointed out). If I have the time later I'll do some looking to see if my assertion is correct or not.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 23rd, 2012, 2:16 pm

uniftw wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:Not at all. Why would that be the case? Besides, Bradley regularly has better home attendance than every team except for Creighton & WSU.

The point trying to be made is that the top teams in the conference in any given year will have the best road attendance even if the games at CU and WSU are taken out. You seem to be arguing the opposite....that means this year Bradley should lead the conference in road attendance....right? I mean, if the quality of the opponent doesn't matter.

I will bet SIU isn't drawing for their road games like they were circa 05-07, just like UNI isn't drawing on the road what they did in 09-10, and Drake in 08-09, etc...

The top teams in the conference will always have the top road attendances (CU being the exception for the reason you pointed out). If I have the time later I'll do some looking to see if my assertion is correct or not.

That is not what I'm arguing at all. I'm arguing that certain schools are a better draw than other schools regardless of the circumstances.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » January 23rd, 2012, 2:18 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
uniftw wrote:

That is not what I'm arguing at all. I'm arguing that certain schools are a better draw than other schools regardless of the circumstances.

The good teams draw better.

It's the reason Drake drew better than everyone in 08-09, UNI in 09-10, SIU before that, etc...

Is it fair to say that if you average the attendance over the last decade CU may be higher then I'll agree. If you are going to tell me CU/WSU could have Bradley's record and draw towards the top of the conference is crazy...SIU is going through that right now.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball