MVC Games Week 8

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 8

Postby E-Villan » January 2nd, 2023, 12:28 pm

SalukiWorld wrote:
racernation wrote:On another note, SIU is the best team in the Valley right now.

I’d go Bradley right now

Yep. I would have both Bradley and Indiana State ahead of SIU right now. As for Prohm, he was plenty engaged yesterday. I could hear him across the court and 2/3rds up the opposite section.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby usmcsaluki » January 2nd, 2023, 6:06 pm

SalukiWorld wrote:
racernation wrote:On another note, SIU is the best team in the Valley right now.

I’d go Bradley right now

I just don't see a standout yet between SIU, Drake, Bradley, and Indy; they're definitely the top 4 in the league, but between those four I don't see a clear favorite yet. Pumped for the SIU and Drake game in Carbondale Wednesday though!
usmcsaluki
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Bearvision » January 2nd, 2023, 7:58 pm

It's interesting to me the team that probably has the most athleticism (Missouri State) is being thought of as clearly outside the top-4. Is their recent run of great play because of simple variance throughout the year, or is it because of a tangible and clear change as they've moved away from Trimble, Mason, Carper in the rotation?

Too small of a sample size to make a clear determination at this point, but since they made that switch in the second half of the Oral Roberts game, they have been fairly excellent. Hammering a decent Central Michigan squad that has since beaten Michigan on the road, hammering UNI on the road, then beating a very good Drake team basically wire-to-wire. Not to mention outscoring Oral Roberts by 20 points in that second half.

I'll be keeping a close eye on whether this change to a smaller, athletic lineup with Ridgnal at the 4, Mogbo at the 5 and switching everything on defense turns out to be the key that unlocks a mostly transfer roster, or if it was a momentary hot streak in a bleak season.
Bearvision
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » January 2nd, 2023, 10:59 pm

Bearvision wrote:It's interesting to me the team that probably has the most athleticism (Missouri State) is being thought of as clearly outside the top-4.

Aren't they the most athletic team every year in the Valley? They certainly don't finish top 4 every year.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Bearvision » January 2nd, 2023, 11:18 pm

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:
Bearvision wrote:It's interesting to me the team that probably has the most athleticism (Missouri State) is being thought of as clearly outside the top-4.

Aren't they the most athletic team every year in the Valley? They certainly don't finish top 4 every year.

Last years’ team wasn’t close to this team athletically. Of course, they did finish top-4 last year.

It’s just interesting what I’m seeing on the court with the Bears, and I’m certainly not seen as a positive fan on my team board.

Like I said, too early to draw conclusions yet, but the trend since they made big changes has been only quite positive. Honestly interested to see how they play against Evansville, because that’s a classic breathe after a big win and prior to bigger games spot. Will still most likely win either way, but another overwhelming performance should serve notice that it might be for real. A stinker and it’s trending towards seasonal variance.
Bearvision
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » January 2nd, 2023, 11:34 pm

Bearvision wrote:
Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:

Last years’ team wasn’t close to this team athletically. Of course, they did finish top-4 last year.

It’s just interesting what I’m seeing on the court with the Bears, and I’m certainly not seen as a positive fan on my team board.

Like I said, too early to draw conclusions yet, but the trend since they made big changes has been only quite positive. Honestly interested to see how they play against Evansville, because that’s a classic breathe after a big win and prior to bigger games spot. Will still most likely win either way, but another overwhelming performance should serve notice that it might be for real. A stinker and it’s trending towards seasonal variance.

Fair enough. I’d be more interested in the Belmont game as a measuring stick. It can be tough to measure against Evansville right now.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ValleyFAN » January 3rd, 2023, 7:22 am

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:

I mean, under Ford they basically do.

2018- 3rd (picked 8th)
2019- 6th (picked 1st)
2020- 3rd (picked 6th)
2021- 2nd (picked 4th)

I think most Bears fans gripes with the program steams from
a. Ford rarely winning "big" games
b. Having the talent to win the league/make the dance but havent yet done so
c. The high rate of transfer players on the roster each year

It's completely fair to argue that Drake, Bradley, SIU, Indiana State are all ahead of the Bears as they've been more consistent so far, but the Bears team of the last 2.5 weeks is one that looks like they can challenge the top. We know the talent is there. We'll just have to see.
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » January 3rd, 2023, 8:27 am

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:

Pretty much under Ford they have , 3 out of 4 years to date . To me that's the funny thing, and I do it to; everyone sees some of Ford's short comings and focuses there. But he's been able to overcome those whether by talent, a weak league, or whatever to stay top 4 consistently. It might be a curse, because again, it hasn't been good enough to get us to the NCAA so far, but it's not likely to result in his being under fire from administration.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby usmcsaluki » January 3rd, 2023, 10:49 am

What does the "most athletic" even mean? I don't even know how that's measurable as it probably means different things to different fans.
usmcsaluki
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » January 3rd, 2023, 1:27 pm

usmcsaluki wrote:What does the "most athletic" even mean? I don't even know how that's measurable as it probably means different things to different fans.

It can mean different things but it's definitely measurable, as in things like vertical jump, specific speed and quickness drills, etc. And of course often times people are referring to athletic and including length and reach as part of that assessment. Strength often gets overlooked but is also a measurable aspect. But when people use that term here they rarely have measurable data and are mostly giving the eyeball evaluation about length, quickness, speed, and verticals.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball