Missouri State leaving MVC for CUSA

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Another Expansion/Realignment Thread

Postby IllinoisState » May 10th, 2024, 9:45 am

BCPanther wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:Why add anyone?

I'm with you.

However, it makes scheduling a nightmare and would require some real creativity to get the scheduled played in the same window.

I'd be okay sitting at 11 if it makes sense to do so.

ReZyNeZy wrote:The conference likely knew about this change a year in advance. That being said I know we discussed NKU as being a replacement. I would say Oakland and Youngstown, but those places are arenas that are about the same as the ARC and, well, there has already been various comments on the quality there. The best bet to poach someone would have to be NKU, Wright State, Milwaukee, or Green Bay. From a former Horizon League look, I would have to favorite NKU and Green Bay. They have both displayed constant strings of success. Good Arena Size and fan support as well. I would ad PFW onto this list, but they split time at Memorial Coliseum and their on campus gym the Gates Center.
\
EDIT AFTER READOING POST WHILE WRITING

Don't think UTA is a good pick. or St Thomas. Those Schools would be a HIKE for games. Id prefer staying in the mid west. The Most likely add is going to be Youngstown I believe. They are already in the MVCFC. Easy transition to being a full time MVC

Youngstown State doesn't seem like a good addition and St. Thomas is in the Midwest.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ReZyNeZy » May 10th, 2024, 9:48 am

I know they are Midwest. Minneapolis just seems a little out of the way. I know Youngstown is also out of the way, but they are a member of MVCFC so I gave them an acception.
ReZyNeZy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » May 10th, 2024, 9:54 am

ReZyNeZy wrote:I know they are Midwest. Minneapolis just seems a little out of the way. I know Youngstown is also out of the way, but they are a member of MVCFC so I gave them an acception.

The campus at St Thomas is barely 3 hours from Cedar Falls. It's not out of the footprint at all.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Buxcies » May 10th, 2024, 10:01 am

No way we add Youngstown State. They're outside of the footprint, aren't in a desirable media market, and outside of the last few years in which they've been solid, they're a terrible basketball school.

I think we should stand pat for a couple years and see if anyone from St. Thomas, UTA, NKU, Milwaukee, Bellarmine can separate from the pack.

You could also convince me of Denver, GCU, Omaha, UMKC, and a few others as potential adds but they each have their own obstacles to overcome.
Buxcies
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby ReZyNeZy » May 10th, 2024, 10:01 am

BCPanther wrote:
ReZyNeZy wrote:I know they are Midwest. Minneapolis just seems a little out of the way. I know Youngstown is also out of the way, but they are a member of MVCFC so I gave them an acception.

The campus at St Thomas is barely 3 hours from Cedar Falls. It's not out of the footprint at all.

Tell Belmont to take that drive and see how they feel. The small private guys have minimal travel budgets already.
ReZyNeZy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ReZyNeZy » May 10th, 2024, 10:04 am

Buxcies wrote:No way we add Youngstown State. They're outside of the footprint, aren't in a desirable media market, and outside of the last few years in which they've been solid, they're a terrible basketball school.

I think we should stand pat for a couple years and see if anyone from St. Thomas, UTA, NKU, Milwaukee, Bellarmine can separate from the pack.

You could also convince me of Denver, GCU, Omaha, UMKC, and a few others as potential adds but they each have their own obstacles to overcome.

The team i want. GCU all the way their fan base is impeccable. When Valpo pulled Shaw, there was a massive influx of people to the Valpo forum. His announcement post was also very well trafficked on socials. They are the holy grail of adds albeit, out of the way. GCU is the best case option IMOP.

I would also take NKU as they have really dumped a lot of money into their programs in recent years and their fanbase is on the incline with the abysmal performance of Cincy in MBB.

The team I see being added. Youngstown.
Last edited by ReZyNeZy on May 10th, 2024, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ReZyNeZy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » May 10th, 2024, 10:05 am

ReZyNeZy wrote:
Birdfan2018 wrote:
ReZyNeZy wrote:The conference likely knew about this change a year in advance. That being said I know we discussed NKU as being a replacement. I would say Oakland and Youngstown, but those places are arenas that are about the same as the ARC and, well, there has already been various comments on the quality there. The best bet to poach someone would have to be NKU, Wright State, Milwaukee, or Green Bay. From a former Horizon League look, I would have to favorite NKU and Green Bay. They have both displayed constant strings of success. Good Arena Size and fan support as well. I would ad PFW onto this list, but they split time at Memorial Coliseum and their on campus gym the Gates Center.

I’m guessing they will replace Missouri State with a school that has Division I Basketball and FCS Football.

Just made an edit discussing such. Youngstown is already in the MVCFC. Most likely add there

There is 0% chance the MVC is adding Youngstown. Literally zero. Not even in the realm of possibility.

University presidents want markets that add students. Youngstown is also far away. That's not to mention YSU's MBB history before the coach that just got hired away.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ReZyNeZy » May 10th, 2024, 10:08 am

I know about their basketball program being lackluster, but it just seems like an MVC thing to do. Given the fact that Valpo was added.
ReZyNeZy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » May 10th, 2024, 10:10 am

ReZyNeZy wrote:
BCPanther wrote:

Tell Belmont to take that drive and see how they feel. The small private guys have minimal travel budgets already.

I don't think you want to get into a 'poor, poor pitiful us spending money on travel' with a UNI fan.

I completely forgot that the regional public universities in this league are swimming in cash...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Birdfan2018 » May 10th, 2024, 10:39 am

ReZyNeZy wrote:
Birdfan2018 wrote:

I’m guessing they will replace Missouri State with a school that has Division I Basketball and FCS Football.

Just made an edit discussing such. Youngstown is already in the MVCFC. Most likely add there

If you add Youngstown State, then you are dropping down to 11 in Football. Is that what the MVFC wants?
Birdfan2018
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball