Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby BEARZ77 » July 27th, 2018, 10:33 am

I think most people overlook that moving from a low to low-mid level conference to one just a bit above like the MVC, generally has as much negative impact as positive for a school that's been dominant at the level they are. Sure there is better tv deals usually and the prestige of a better conference in overall perception, perhaps you get an attendance boost because of better teams coming in to your arena. But usually it results in a drastic decrease in the opportunity for NCAA appearances because you are now competing with better teams for often just 1 spot. That's why schools like Belmont, Gonzaga , perhaps now SDSU tend to stay put. Yeah if you can jump to a P-5 or the Big East or possibly the AAC going forward, where multiple bids are common, then it's a no -brainer for schools like Butler, Creighton , WSU. But a jump to the Valley for most schools in the past couple decades has resulted in drastic reductions in their NCAA appearances compared to the 5-10 year period prior to their move. UNI would be the exception, but it took them a decade to find their place, but schools like Evansville and MSU went from making consistent appearances to almost no appearances. Illinois State hasn't made an appearance in 20 years, although they're not a post 1990 add. Other schools like Tulsa and Davidson are finding the going tougher in high mid conferences . It'll be interesting how Valpo progresses , but my bet is 5 years from now they will have made less appearances than they did the 5 years preceding. Just saying we all look at the hoped benefits of a school with a recent history of success joining the league, but it may not be as rosey a picture as would seem.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 27th, 2018, 11:29 am

This is where I wish other ADs would see the larger picture. This is what Murray State understands and Belmont doesn't. The MVC has struggled to achieve consistent multibid status WITHOUT them and their consistently strong RPIs\KenPom ratings, but what would it be WITH them? The MVC isn't like most other so-called "one-bid leagues." It is a strong and resilient conference with a proud history of success that continues to this day. It deserves at least as much respect as is afforded the Mountain West A10 WCC etc if not more. Because of that success, revenue is plentiful. Look what a move to the MVC did for Loyola. A school like Belmont should have looked at that and thought "Why not us?" Even in years where we do send just one team our seeding makes a big difference. While it's true that you can't win it if you're not in it, your chances of succeeding, raising your profile, building your brand and winning additional credits are exponentially higher as an 8-11 seed than as a 12-15 seed. And even if it's not your year you still benefit from the successes of the members that do make it, as well as the media deal, increased attendance, etc. I find it very difficult to believe that a school like Belmont would lose money on a move to the MVC.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 27th, 2018, 11:40 am

BEARZ77 wrote:I think most people overlook that moving from a low to low-mid level conference to one just a bit above like the MVC, generally has as much negative impact as positive for a school that's been dominant at the level they are. Sure there is better tv deals usually and the prestige of a better conference in overall perception, perhaps you get an attendance boost because of better teams coming in to your arena. But usually it results in a drastic decrease in the opportunity for NCAA appearances because you are now competing with better teams for often just 1 spot. That's why schools like Belmont, Gonzaga , perhaps now SDSU tend to stay put. Yeah if you can jump to a P-5 or the Big East or possibly the AAC going forward, where multiple bids are common, then it's a no -brainer for schools like Butler, Creighton , WSU. But a jump to the Valley for most schools in the past couple decades has resulted in drastic reductions in their NCAA appearances compared to the 5-10 year period prior to their move. UNI would be the exception, but it took them a decade to find their place, but schools like Evansville and MSU went from making consistent appearances to almost no appearances. Illinois State hasn't made an appearance in 20 years, although they're not a post 1990 add. Other schools like Tulsa and Davidson are finding the going tougher in high mid conferences . It'll be interesting how Valpo progresses , but my bet is 5 years from now they will have made less appearances than they did the 5 years preceding. Just saying we all look at the hoped benefits of a school with a recent history of success joining the league, but it may not be as rosey a picture as would seem.

Seeing as how we've only made one tournament the last 5 years (stupid conference tournament also bear in mind that that stretch also includes a fairly egregious snub in 2016) I'll go push with a slight chance to beat it. I think we've got a really good team coming up especially in 19-20. I'm very interested to see how MVC membership impacts recruiting and on court results. It's already having a positive effect on facilities spending.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Dean Wormer » July 28th, 2018, 12:37 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:I think most people overlook that moving from a low to low-mid level conference to one just a bit above like the MVC, generally has as much negative impact as positive for a school that's been dominant at the level they are. Sure there is better tv deals usually and the prestige of a better conference in overall perception, perhaps you get an attendance boost because of better teams coming in to your arena. But usually it results in a drastic decrease in the opportunity for NCAA appearances because you are now competing with better teams for often just 1 spot. That's why schools like Belmont, Gonzaga , perhaps now SDSU tend to stay put. Yeah if you can jump to a P-5 or the Big East or possibly the AAC going forward, where multiple bids are common, then it's a no -brainer for schools like Butler, Creighton , WSU. But a jump to the Valley for most schools in the past couple decades has resulted in drastic reductions in their NCAA appearances compared to the 5-10 year period prior to their move. UNI would be the exception, but it took them a decade to find their place, but schools like Evansville and MSU went from making consistent appearances to almost no appearances. Illinois State hasn't made an appearance in 20 years, although they're not a post 1990 add. Other schools like Tulsa and Davidson are finding the going tougher in high mid conferences . It'll be interesting how Valpo progresses , but my bet is 5 years from now they will have made less appearances than they did the 5 years preceding. Just saying we all look at the hoped benefits of a school with a recent history of success joining the league, but it may not be as rosey a picture as would seem.

Seeing as how we've only made one tournament the last 5 years (stupid conference tournament also bear in mind that that stretch also includes a fairly egregious snub in 2016) I'll go push with a slight chance to beat it. I think we've got a really good team coming up especially in 19-20. I'm very interested to see how MVC membership impacts recruiting and on court results. It's already having a positive effect on facilities spending.

Alford had some decent teams, and Hinson got screwed out of more than one NCAA bid. Evansville was actually in a pretty good conference before joining the MVC. Really not an apple to apple comparison.

I am very baffled why a fan of a school that has been in this conference one year is so obsessed with adding more teams. 48 pages of talking in circles when there has been absolutely zero movement toward expansion by the league. If this horse had 9 lives, you would still be beating a dead one.

No one outside of Murray is even remotely acceptable at this point, and the league doesn't want 11 teams. It has already been decided. It simply isn't happening. Enjoy getting to know your 9 new conference mates, and appreciate the fact you're here. If you want to play Wright State or NKU, go back to the Horizon.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 28th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Several reasons:
1. I have been a fan and admirer of the MVC since long before Valpo was a member. They have been and continue to be one of the greatest champions of the little guy. Watching these schools take it to the likes of Kansas on a repeated basis has brought me some of my most joyous moments as a college basketball fan. I consider it a dream come true that my alma mater can now count itself among the ranks of the MVC the best midwestern mid major league there is.

2. I'm looking out for the long-term health of the conference and want to see it become as strong as possible in this ever-changing landscape and looking for reasons for and against any schools that might be members should or shouldn't be. You'll find my assessments of schools are generally fairly balanced.

3. I enjoy monitoring the shifting landscapes of sports. Player and team movement transactions fascinate me almost as much as the actual games.

4. What else is there to do in late July but speculate on how the conference might look down the road? It's a fun and interesting topic for some but it's not for everyone. I'm here to talk about what I love talking about: the MVC and the avenues through which we can make a great league better.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby redrocks » July 29th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Denver. I'd like to be able to drive 10 minutes to Magness Arena and see the Redbirds every year.
redrocks
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 29th, 2018, 5:07 pm

But how does Denver help the MVC? It would be a huge travel headache for every MVC school and they have literally zero basketball history. Do you see Loyola like potential in them due to their large endowment? And if that's the case why don't they show better in the Summit League?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Adunk33 » July 30th, 2018, 7:25 am

The Redbirds' non-con schedule comes out today. It is a possibility a H/H starts at Belmont this year for Belmont's tryout for the MVC :lol:
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 30th, 2018, 7:55 am

Adunk33 wrote:The Redbirds' non-con schedule comes out today. It is a possibility a H/H starts at Belmont this year for Belmont's tryout for the MVC :lol:

Honestly, I think the MVC has a better shot at St. Louis than Belmont and they have a 1% shot at St. Louis. I personally don't understand even after taking into consideration they would get more NCAA bids in the OVC but they really don't want to come it seems. Also, don't crush our dreams of a buy game with Baylor. Would look better than Belmont even on a down year. If it was Belmont I would expect a music note or something (other team's fans have no idea what we are talking about LOL. Yesterday I was talking about a city and a cat LOL.)
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 30th, 2018, 10:38 am

I know I keep saying this but it needs to be repeated: in our mid-major world, passing on better competition in what would very likely be a multibid league with you in it just to play King of the Hill in a one-bid league where the path is so tenuous is short-sighted and hurts your program so much more than it helps unless you're Gonzaga and have already established your credibility as a program with the Power 5. Then you look at the other sports Belmont is solid to good in and how Valley competition could elevate them and it's just a shame that they can't see the forest because of the trees. Here they are an elite academic institution in a league where schools get put on academic probation fairly regularly the sole private school in a conference that has only hosted two other private schools in its entire existence, one of which left the conference back in 1952. It just makes no sense especially when money doesn't appear to be the issue. Maybe once Byrd retires and a cheaper replacement from his coaching tree can be installed it'll free up enough money to make this a reality.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball