Standings after 9 games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Standings after 9 games

Postby valleychamp » January 23rd, 2012, 2:27 pm

In 09-10 CU was the 8th highest attended game at UNI.

7th highest at Ill St.

10th highest for Ind St.

5th highest for SIU (supposed rival)

10th highest for Evansville

3rd highest for Drake.

3rd highest for MSU.

Those are the schools with the largest variance in game attendance, that is why I chose those schools. When CU was not good, nobody cared.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 23rd, 2012, 2:34 pm

uniftw wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:
uniftw wrote:The point trying to be made is that the top teams in the conference in any given year will have the best road attendance even if the games at CU and WSU are taken out. You seem to be arguing the opposite....that means this year Bradley should lead the conference in road attendance....right? I mean, if the quality of the opponent doesn't matter.

I will bet SIU isn't drawing for their road games like they were circa 05-07, just like UNI isn't drawing on the road what they did in 09-10, and Drake in 08-09, etc...

The top teams in the conference will always have the top road attendances (CU being the exception for the reason you pointed out). If I have the time later I'll do some looking to see if my assertion is correct or not.

That is not what I'm arguing at all. I'm arguing that certain schools are a better draw than other schools regardless of the circumstances.

The good teams draw better.

It's the reason Drake drew better than everyone in 08-09, UNI in 09-10, SIU before that, etc...

Is it fair to say that if you average the attendance over the last decade CU may be higher then I'll agree. If you are going to tell me CU/WSU could have Bradley's record and draw towards the top of the conference is crazy...SIU is going through that right now.

I haven't seen any stats sowing that Drake drew better than everyone in 08-09 or UNI in 09-10.

The problem with the stats that Valleychamp wants to use are revealed when looking at this years figures. Creighton (along with WSU) are tied for first place. Creighton is ranked. Creighton has the highest attendance in every MVC arena that they have played in. Yet using the official MVC stats for this year, http://www.mvc.org/mbb/stats/CONFLDRS.HTM , UNi has the best road attendence and Wichita has the worst. Why is that the case? In no small part, it is because WSU hasn't played in Omaha and UNI doesn't have to count their own abysmal home figures (8th in the league by the way) in their road calculations. Using those figures, Creighton will never have the best road attendance, even if leading the conference by 4 games and in the AP top 5, because all of the other schools get to use their road numbers at Creighton while CU can't play itself.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » January 23rd, 2012, 2:46 pm

In '07-'08, when Drake was league champ:

They were the #1 attended game at UNI.

4th highest for UE.

3rd Highest for Ill St.

#1 for In St.

#1 for MSU.

#1 at CU.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » January 23rd, 2012, 2:57 pm

In '09-10 when UNI was league champ:

#1 at CU.

#1 at Drake.

#7 at UE.

#2 at MSU.

#6 for SIU.

#3 at BU.

#11 at In St (wth?)

#2 at Ill St.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » January 23rd, 2012, 3:02 pm

valleychamp wrote:In '07-'08, when Drake was league champ:

4th highest for UE.

3rd Highest for Ill St.

#1 for In St.

#1 for MSU.

#1 at CU.

So that tells me when Drake won the league, their fans traveled well to UNI and Drake. As someone at the game, the interest in Omaha wasn't spiked because Drake was in town, the interest was spiked in Des Moines because Drake was playing only two hours away. Drake fans invaded Omaha, I was there. Drake fans invaded your little joint, we all remember that. I bet Omahan's invade your high school gym to get you to your sellout.

Everyone is upside down in their debate, the fact remains that nothing draws basketball interest in the Cedar Valley. Nothing. What fills up their gym is when a team within travel distance comes to town. It really helps when a team within 300 miles is good because those traveling fans will fill the arena that the 100,000+ potential UNI fans living in the Cedar Valley, can't.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » January 23rd, 2012, 3:21 pm

lol, yeah make an excuse and then turn it back to UNI.

This has nothing to do with UNI.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 23rd, 2012, 3:22 pm

MoValley John wrote:
valleychamp wrote:In '07-'08, when Drake was league champ:

4th highest for UE.

3rd Highest for Ill St.

#1 for In St.

#1 for MSU.

#1 at CU.

So that tells me when Drake won the league, their fans traveled well to UNI and Drake. As someone at the game, the interest in Omaha wasn't spiked because Drake was in town, the interest was spiked in Des Moines because Drake was playing only two hours away. Drake fans invaded Omaha, I was there. Drake fans invaded your little joint, we all remember that. I bet Omahan's invade your high school gym to get you to your sellout.

Everyone is upside down in their debate, the fact remains that nothing draws basketball interest in the Cedar Valley. Nothing. What fills up their gym is when a team within travel distance comes to town. It really helps when a team within 300 miles is good because those traveling fans will fill the arena that the 100,000+ potential UNI fans living in the Cedar Valley, can't.

Agreed, to a point. Usually, regardless of the opponent, a Saturday game will average better than a week day game. When a team's highest attended game is a weeknight game, it shows that people are coming out to see the visiting team, not the home team.

Valleychamp is obviously covering for the fact that UNI's home attendance sucks so bad. He takes issue with any school that has a big fanbase. Of course that's probably fair because UNI has to deal with problems that no other school in the Valley (or maybe even the world) has to deal with. I have no idea what those problems are, but I've been told by UNI fans that they exist, so I believe it unconditionally.

To the best I can tell, there are about 4100 real UNI fans. Iowa and Iowa St fans might go to a UNI game when UNi is good or when they are playing Iowa, Iowa St or Creighton. Of course, it can't be too cold, it can't be on a Wednesday night, there can't be any college football games or NFL games, and there absolutely can't be any rasslin'!
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 23rd, 2012, 3:27 pm

Valleychamp, got any links for you attendance figures. Also, why leave out so many games (you know, the ones that disprove your point) along with the entire years of '08-09 and '10-11?

By the way, a difference in the number of fans by a few hundred is only statistically relevant if the total attendance sucks. Difference from game to game of 400 fans at UNI home game = 10% of the total average attendance. Difference of 400 fans from game to game at CU home game = statistical irrelevancy.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » January 23rd, 2012, 3:29 pm

Yep, lol, keep it coming. You can keep trashing UNI, I don't care. Our attendance does suck.

This has nothing to do with UNI. This is about your claims that Creighton is always the big draw for opposing team. In fact, this is exactly what you said:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:That is not what I'm arguing at all. I'm arguing that certain schools are a better draw than other schools regardless of the circumstances.

I have pointed out otherwise, but you continue to ignore the statistics. Creighton draws well on the road when they are good. Which is no different from what all the top teams in the league in the last several years. And when CU was not good, they did not draw anywhere near what you claim that they would.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » January 23rd, 2012, 3:33 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:Valleychamp, got any links for you attendance figures. Also, why leave out so many games (you know, the ones that disprove your point) along with the entire years of '08-09 and '10-11?

All the stats are from the MVC website.

I used those years because they are the only comparable years to this season with a ranked CU, they were the ones that we had discussed, and they were the years that you that you specifically referenced in one of your posts. In both of those years, there was a clear league champ, which was also ranked. In '09 and '11, there was not any ranked teams, or any clear top team.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball