Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby VUGrad1314 » August 7th, 2018, 2:02 pm

That right there is literally the only reason why I held off on seriously discussing them for so long. If they could somehow be split up SDSU is the one to take. I really believe that if the offer came NDSU would bail on the Dakota partnership so fast for FBS football, even if it meant sticking their other sports into the WAC. If we can get NDSU to do what we all know it wants to do anyway and take the football path we can get SDSU to link up with us and take the basketball\olympic sports path we're pretty confident they want to take and also get Murray State. Everybody wins (except the Summit League).
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby VUGrad1314 » August 8th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Something potentially worth watching from an MVC perspective:

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ ... 65987.html
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby IWokeUpLikeThis » August 8th, 2018, 7:54 pm

The thread has jumped the shark. Tulsa plays FBS AAC football with a soon-to-be tv revenue increase.
IWokeUpLikeThis
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby IllinoisState » August 8th, 2018, 8:39 pm

IWokeUpLikeThis wrote:Image

The thread has jumped the shark. Tulsa plays FBS AAC football with a soon-to-be tv revenue increase.

So what you're saying is that we should definitely go after them because of increased exposure.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby IWokeUpLikeThis » August 8th, 2018, 8:58 pm

IllinoisState wrote:
IWokeUpLikeThis wrote:Image

So what you're saying is that we should definitely go after them because of increased exposure.

Exactly. Tulsa will follow leagueless Idaho as the 2nd school to drop FBS in 25 years so they can leave FB’s 6th best league, BB’s 7th best, vacate nationally televised FB games, and dump Wichita (historic nearby rival), Tulane (most similar school in FBS), SMU (nearby private), and Houston/Cincinnati/Memphis (urban schools).

:lol:
IWokeUpLikeThis
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » August 9th, 2018, 3:05 am

Dayton, Saint Louis, South Dakota State (8+ hours from 8/10 and have pseudo home SL tournament).

Now, Tulsa.

Enough’s enough. Like someone said, any realistic, practical candidate has been debated a hundred times over 2 years.

If there’s new or relevant info, it’ll come up organically. Won’t have to nail jello to a tree.

uniftw wrote: There’s literally nothing left to say outside of trying to make stories from literal nothing.

Case in point suggesting Tulsa because they slashed a couple salaries. Tulsa survived Independence and the WAC over 2 decades. There’s zero possibility they won’t survive the AAC.

(And so what if AAC board likes Saint Louis? AAC gives zero indication of expanding and posters decide nothing.)
Last edited by MissouriValleyUnite on August 9th, 2018, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby All-MVC Fan » August 9th, 2018, 11:20 am

Geez, tough room.

I have no issue with VU posting stuff like this. Gives me something to read. Who knows, one day we may look back at this thread and see that dots were all there if we just would have connected them...

And with the current state of ESPN and college athletics generally, is it really likely they’re going to get MORE money next time around? Should be interesting to see how the next round of these contracts shakes out.

I don’t think anyone intimated that Tulsa was likely to come back to the MVC. It was an interesting read regardless.
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BEED » August 9th, 2018, 12:28 pm

Dean Wormer wrote:
beating_a_dead_horse2_5047.jpg

LOL

Thought there was new info but found a diary.
BEED
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby VUGrad1314 » August 9th, 2018, 10:51 pm

All-MVC Fan wrote:Geez, tough room.

I have no issue with VU posting stuff like this. Gives me something to read. Who knows, one day we may look back at this thread and see that dots were all there if we just would have connected them...

And with the current state of ESPN and college athletics generally, is it really likely they’re going to get MORE money next time around? Should be interesting to see how the next round of these contracts shakes out.

I don’t think anyone intimated that Tulsa was likely to come back to the MVC. It was an interesting read regardless.

That's right I most certainly was not suggesting that Tulsa was likely to come back any time soon, but it's absolutely true that there will likely come a day when non-P5 programs may have to seriously consider whether cross-country trips to play conference games in all sports is worth the prestige of being FBS when there is literally zero chance of even competing for championships and the program is a net money-loser. This is especially true when you consider cable TV's uncertain future and the looming battle likely to ensue between the remnants of the Big 12 and the AAC. I think a school like Tulsa Tulane and possibly SMU would be left in a watered-down version of the AAC that would greatly resemble CUSA, the best case scenario being that they get scooped up by the Mountain West, assuming that league isn't carved up too.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » August 10th, 2018, 2:43 pm

Why would anyone suggest that the AAC is going to get MORE money during the next TV deal? The writing is on the wall as more and more people cut the cord that the ginormous TV contracts are dead.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball