MVC Games Week 5

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 5

Postby BUFanatic » December 11th, 2022, 7:43 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Someone really needs to bring a “We All Suck” sign to Arch Madness.

I actually think Bradley is good? Idk, if you’re the best team in a terrible conference does that even count? My luck we win the regular season and tournament and we get more Wardle :roll: I don’t hate the guy and he’s done right by the program I just think he’s gotten a bit stagnant. Didn’t do anything really this year to build for the future so we could go from top 3 to bottom 3 in a year.
BUFanatic
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » December 11th, 2022, 7:47 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
BCPanther wrote:Q: Who's the best team in this league?

A: There isn't one.

Bradley is the best team in the league.

Of course they could go crap the bed but with a healthy Reink Mast I think they are probably at the top.

You've at least managed to not lose to anybody truly bad. Haven't really beaten anybody good but have at least held serve. That's probably enough.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby hot nuts » December 11th, 2022, 9:11 pm

Salukimadness86 wrote:
SalukiWorld wrote:Southern Indiana beats Indiana State in OT to end a miserable week

Guess the screeching birds ain't that bad afterall. :dance:

They are a mystery. Totally crushed Southern and beat Indiana State but got destroyed by Chicago State and lost to Western illinois. No idea how to figure them out.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » December 11th, 2022, 9:14 pm

BCPanther wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Of course they could go crap the bed but with a healthy Reink Mast I think they are probably at the top.

You've at least managed to not lose to anybody truly bad. Haven't really beaten anybody good but have at least held serve. That's probably enough.

Right. And mention I noted with a healthy Reink Mast. Without him they are pretty average.

The three losses are at Utah State (12 NET) and neutral vs Auburn (42) and Liberty (102).
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby hot nuts » December 11th, 2022, 9:18 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:

I would still take Drake to win the conference but Indiana State and Bradley are right there with them.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Birdfan2018 » December 11th, 2022, 10:53 pm

(Just finished my glass of Redbird Kool aid!)
Illinois State may not be the best team in the MVC, but they have been one of the most exciting to watch. And I get the feeling Colton Sandage my become one of the most disliked players by the MVC fans not wearing Redbird attire.
Birdfan2018
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mvfcfan » December 12th, 2022, 5:48 am

MVC Standings:

USI 2-0
UE 0-2
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bradley_townie » December 12th, 2022, 9:27 am

I was a lot higher on Bradley a couple weeks ago after they held Missouri St to 40 points. And then UNI and Missouri State went on to go 0-4 in their next games with some head scratching losses. And then SIUE held us to 56 points (although we squeaked out the win).

Bradley will have a few frustrating losses this year against teams we are favored to beat. We turn it over way too much. But yeah, they are probably the least bad team in the conference right now.
bradley_townie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Majik45 » December 12th, 2022, 11:28 am

Bradley is the one team that might (I repeat might) actually be halfway decent. 3 losses to solid teams, and they were all losses without Reink Mast. Other players were also out in some of those games, which means Bradley might have built up a little more useable depth for conference play. I'm not convinced they can consistently win road games in the Valley, but they were able to gut out a tough road game at SIUE when they brought their C game.

What a vomit filled weekend of Valley Basketball. Just when one teams craps the bed in a winnable game and we're all thinking this can't keep happening, the next team up was like Hold my Beer.

Just a really bad weekend for the Valley.
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Adunk33 » December 12th, 2022, 11:37 am

We're all disappointed with how the league has been trending the last week +.

However, I did want to share that the Return to Horton game against SIUE was absolutely incredible. I'm not old enough to have witnessed a game back in its glory days but there were 3400 fans in a venue that could probably hold 3800 max, and those last 400 probably would've had to stand. Back in the day, I'm told there were dangerous bleachers on the end zones that went up to the ceiling that got sell out crowds to around 8K. The atmosphere was awesome and fans were engaged. A game like that could really reenergize a fan base that's been sleeping in 2016-17, however, it'll be 9 days until ILST's next home game with finals being this week and a neutral site game Saturday.

SIUE aren't world beaters but there is talk of them competing for the OVC. Gave BU all they had earlier in the week and played a competitive game against the Birds. The Birds are scrappy fighters who have really been making hustle plays during this 3 game win streak. They've been the epitome of a "be ready when your name is called team." Poindexter goes down, Sandage steps up with walk on, Jayden Johnson filling minutes at the 2-4 positions. McChesney goes down, Johnson fills some of his minutes and Ryan Schmitt (who started some last year and hasn't played this year) steps up. Then there is a peak this weekend by Harouna Sissoko, who did not play a minute prior to Saturday's game. Kendall Lewis was in foul trouble and he's put into action to help with the physicality of SIUE. He played 9 minutes, scored 4 point and grabbed a couple boards. Sure, that's a nice sat line. However, with a little over 1 minute to play, Birds up 5 have the ball. Sandage gets stripped at midcourt and SIUE appears to have what is a wide open, momentum changing dunk to bring it within 3. Sissoko glides the length of the court from the opposite lane and well...see for yourself.
https://twitter.com/Redbird_MBB/status/ ... yM8DNcEelw
https://twitter.com/Redbird_MBB/status/ ... yM8DNcEelw

Just a game saving play during an INCREDIBLE event with Doug Collins and a ton of other Redbird Alumni in the building.

Here's the full game highlights if you want to see what it was all about: https://twitter.com/Redbird_MBB/status/ ... yM8DNcEelw

I don't know how many games they're going to win, but they've been damn fun to watch so far in December.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball