Another Expansion/Realignment Thread

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Another Expansion/Realignment Thread

Postby BCPanther » May 11th, 2023, 10:32 am

Might even be a sealed envelope involved at this point...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Kip Dynamite » May 11th, 2023, 10:47 am

BCPanther wrote:Might even be a sealed envelope involved at this point...

Lol. You may actually be right this time.
Kip Dynamite
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » May 11th, 2023, 11:00 am

Kip Dynamite wrote:

And this isn't directed at you, obviously but the Missouri State Administration either needs to s*** or get off the pot. They've been talking about how valuable they are for literally years and nothing has happened.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » May 11th, 2023, 12:28 pm

BCPanther wrote:
Kip Dynamite wrote:

And this isn't directed at you, obviously but the Missouri State Administration either needs to s*** or get off the pot. They've been talking about how valuable they are for literally years and nothing has happened.

Not being antagonistic , but so what. Whether it happens tomorrow or 2 years from now or doesn't ever, so what. I get frustrated with it to , but I'm glad MSU Administration has a goal, that unlike many other MMs we're not sitting at the master's table like a farm dog hoping someone drops a crumb to gobble up. I doubt we ever reach our ultimate goals , but we have them. I don't agree with everything Smart does, but I kinda trust him; we live in an ultra conservative state and area, Smart has to consistently kiss arse at the state level just to get things done in a time when support for Universities is a tough sell , but again, he's pretty good business wise. He didn't make a statement to the media about this at this time just off his head. I think we have more going than most of us know, and I think that fits his mo. Our last few coaching hires have been done very under the radar, I think the process for securing Murray , Belmont, and UIC smacked of Smart as it was very discrete. Most of the previous statements on this have come from outside people inquiring and then him responding; he initiated this.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » May 11th, 2023, 1:29 pm

Probably means nothing :roll: but our Beach Volleyball team has announced it will be playing in Conference USA in 2024. Really doesn't mean much as we have a couple of sports that the MVC doesn't sponsor clustered in different conferences as do a number of Valley schools.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » May 11th, 2023, 1:31 pm

I'm sure Smart is a really smart guy, but let's stop acting like he's playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers.

He may not talk a lot, but the guy just went out there begging donors to fund stuff that they haven't been able to fund for years and you want us to believe he's some sort of business genius that no one can understand because he's speaking in 12th century Ouija code.

It's cool that MSU wants to play FBS football, but they're a beggar, not a chooser at this point. So you may not feel like a farm dog, but you're definitely acting like one, just waiting for C-USA to offer you a spot to play alongside Kennesaw State.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » May 11th, 2023, 2:11 pm

Kip Dynamite wrote:There are a lot of domino’s about to start falling. Once the big 12 makes their move on the Pac12. I’ve seen a lot of speculation that could happen in the next 10 days or so.

I am not so convinced of that. The Big XII is doing a great job spreading those rumors with reporters and rumor-mongerers, but I think the reality behind the scenes is much different. The most probable scenario is the Pac-12 sticks together and adds SMU/SDSU.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » May 11th, 2023, 2:12 pm

Kip Dynamite wrote:

Hard to believe that was 12 years ago now. One of the all-time great message board moments.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » May 11th, 2023, 2:41 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Kip Dynamite wrote:There are a lot of domino’s about to start falling. Once the big 12 makes their move on the Pac12. I’ve seen a lot of speculation that could happen in the next 10 days or so.

I am not so convinced of that. The Big XII is doing a great job spreading those rumors with reporters and rumor-mongerers, but I think the reality behind the scenes is much different. The most probable scenario is the Pac-12 sticks together and adds SMU/SDSU.

I don't think I'm as sure about that as you are.

1) If the Pac12 had a reasonable TV deal, it would have been announced by now. You don't hide a deal that your membership likes after you've talked the game you've talked.

2) Arizona's President is on record saying any more than 50% streaming is unacceptable and they'd probably look to leave.

They're in a tough spot. Apple apparently doesn't want them unless they get everything minus one football game. Amazon only offered one Friday night window. FOX is out. ESPN only wants the late Saturday window that they can turn around to give to the Big 12 if they have enough Mountain and Pacific schools. NBC had no interest to begin with. CBS might be in but only for one prime time Saturday game that will get destroyed in the ratings by the Big Ten on NBC and the SEC on ESPN.

McMurphy was on a podcast and said the only reason the Big Ten didn't take Washington and Oregon is that they didn't want to have the perception that they killed the Pac12 (though Ohio State and Iowa are strongly against expansion, which is SUPER rich on Iowa's part because nobody is tuning in to see Iowa) so they just need Arizona and Colorado to jump to the Big 12 forcing Washington and Oregon to take a smaller initial share than they otherwise would have. Those two are apparently all vetted and ready to go.

It's almost amazing how badly the Pac12 has gotten everything wrong at every step of the expansion era.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » May 11th, 2023, 3:02 pm

BCPanther wrote:
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:I am not so convinced of that. The Big XII is doing a great job spreading those rumors with reporters and rumor-mongerers, but I think the reality behind the scenes is much different. The most probable scenario is the Pac-12 sticks together and adds SMU/SDSU.

I don't think I'm as sure about that as you are.

1) If the Pac12 had a reasonable TV deal, it would have been announced by now. You don't hide a deal that your membership likes after you've talked the game you've talked.

2) Arizona's President is on record saying any more than 50% streaming is unacceptable and they'd probably look to leave.

They're in a tough spot. Apple apparently doesn't want them unless they get everything minus one football game. Amazon only offered one Friday night window. FOX is out. ESPN only wants the late Saturday window that they can turn around to give to the Big 12 if they have enough Mountain and Pacific schools. NBC had no interest to begin with. CBS might be in but only for one prime time Saturday game that will get destroyed in the ratings by the Big Ten on NBC and the SEC on ESPN.

McMurphy was on a podcast and said the only reason the Big Ten didn't take Washington and Oregon is that they didn't want to have the perception that they killed the Pac12 (though Ohio State and Iowa are strongly against expansion, which is SUPER rich on Iowa's part because nobody is tuning in to see Iowa) so they just need Arizona and Colorado to jump to the Big 12 forcing Washington and Oregon to take a smaller initial share than they otherwise would have. Those two are apparently all vetted and ready to go.

It's almost amazing how badly the Pac12 has gotten everything wrong at every step of the expansion era.

It'll be a 30-for-30 if you're right and it does fall apart. They like to blame Larry Scott but Larry Scott was the one who pursued Big XII schools multiple times only for the Pac-12 presidents to shoot it down, like Oklahoma/Oklahoma St in the early 2010s and expansion over a year ago.

It's all so fascinating to follow. I wouldn't be lying if I said I've wasted way too much time at work checking hourly for realignment updates-that-never-come.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball