Poll ended at October 4th, 2011, 6:47 am

Creighton
53%
Wichita State
48%

Total votes : 80

Re: Official MVCfans 2011-12 Prediction - 1st Place

Postby PowderBlue » September 28th, 2011, 11:07 am

Could part of Marshall's "problem" be that he has too much faith in some of his guys that should be role players? There's no question that going as deep as he does can cause issues with cohesiveness and familiarity with each other. But there's also no question that he brings the most talent to his team in the MVC right now...year in and year out. I wonder if losing so many guys last year will actually make the Shockers a better all around team because there may have to be a clearly defined first and second unit?

I'm definitely not in the know about what goes on in Shocker-land, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them roll through the conference at 16-2 or 17-1. I also wouldn't be surprised to see you all end up 13-5 or 12-6 for the same reasons stated above.

Both teams have talented guards...and even with GE, I'm not sure that I don't think WSU will have the better all around interior game...you all always seem to. BUT, simply based on in game decision making and consistency of those decisions, I'll go with Creighton.
PowderBlue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Sycamore_DevilDog » September 28th, 2011, 11:54 am

Katz: The race between Wichita State and Creighton for the Missouri Valley title will be one of the more interesting in the country. The Shockers and Bluejays are veteran squads with momentum as Wichita won the NIT and CU is coming off a summer when two key players -- Doug McDermott and Greg Echenique -- had an impact on their respective national teams (USA and Venezuela). The WSU-Creighton games in the Valley should provide plenty of theater for a regular-season chase that will go down to the final weekend. The curveball in this conference could be Indiana State again. The Sycamores shocked everyone with a league tournament title last season. Greg Lansing has a bit of the Midas touch in Terre Haute and Indiana State shouldn't be taken lightly in this race
A U.S. Marine: No better friend, no worse enemy.
Sycamore_DevilDog
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aargh » September 28th, 2011, 8:48 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:I'm not convinced that Marshall is a great X and O's coach because his teams have yet to win a conference title of either type, yet have had the personnel and have been favored to do so.

I do think that Marshall is pretty good recruiter.

At the risk of irritating some WSU fans, I think Marshall will be a better X's and O's coach this year.

I'm only going to mention this because there have been several times Marshall has said to the media something like, "We want J.T. on the low post, but we can't convince him to go there He seems to like to wander out around the arc regardless of where we want him to be".

Durley came really close to not having his scholarship renewed before his Jr. year. His in-game play was good enough for his scholarship to be renewed. There was little appearance to fans that there was any problem. About the only possibilities that leaves are that he wasn't doing what was expected on the court and wasn't working hard in practices.

Durley was effective on the court, but I believe his absence will make Marshall a better X's and O's coach.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 1972Shocker » September 30th, 2011, 1:36 pm

WSUbballer wrote:WSU has too many question marks going into the year. They could finish as low as 5th if things don't pan out quite right or as high as 1st.

CU has IMO the best player in the league and a more well-rounded machine. I think they are gonna eat a lot of teams alive down low this year. That's a big thing for a Valley team in winning a title.

I went with Creighton.

This.

Someone went with WSU because CU had a lot of unknowns working in 6 new faces. OTOH Wichita State will be working in 8 new faces. They need to replace Durley, Blair, Ellis and Hatch from this group of what we believe are promising players but are all, at this point, unproven at the D-1 level.

CU lost some decent players also, but I'm not sure that as a group they were quite as key to CU's success as WSU's seniors were a key to WSU's success.

Team chemistry will go a long way towards determining who comes out on top. Shockers have to prove they can play up to their potential. We really did not do that during the regular season last year, but did it wonderfully in the NIT. How much, if any, carryover effect last year's post-season will have for the Shocks is very difficult to say. Last year's seniors, in particular, played well as a group in the NIT but, of course, they have moved on.

I gave the edge to CU, but not by a whole lot. It's probably appropriate that we currently have a tie.
Last edited by 1972Shocker on September 30th, 2011, 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1972Shocker
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby MVCfans » September 30th, 2011, 1:38 pm

And we have a tie at the moment - 36 votes for WSU and CU.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby 2livewu » September 30th, 2011, 4:23 pm

MVCfans wrote:And we have a tie at the moment - 36 votes for WSU and CU.

And no surprise, CU is listed on top, and is bold. Only in the Valley, and MVCFANS.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby pafan » September 30th, 2011, 4:38 pm

2livewu wrote:
MVCfans wrote:And we have a tie at the moment - 36 votes for WSU and CU.

And no surprise, CU is listed on top, and is bold. Only in the Valley, and MVCFANS.

The bold indicates your vote. The order is alphabetical. And the Shucks are going to win the Valley. :dance:
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby 2livewu » October 1st, 2011, 11:08 am

pafan wrote:The bold indicates your vote. The order is alphabetical. And the Shucks are going to win the Valley. :dance:

Thanks for the correction and clarification. :Bam:
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » October 1st, 2011, 4:03 pm

I think there were several members that said they didn't think this last vote would be close or interesting? Looks pretty close to me.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby gtmoBlue » October 2nd, 2011, 1:40 pm

Picked Creighton...
They have experienced players in both the frontcourt and backcourt.

Hopefully the Shockers frontcourt will hurry and develop, hopefully the newcomers can blend in
quickly. It will be nice to have at least 2 MVC clubs in the dance.

Beware the Trees and The Purple Aces.... Trees will be stronger this season - and brimming with
confidence.
The Aces are healthy. Should they remain healthy - watch out! They are hungry.

Lastly, it is about time for the R-birds to get back with the program...and they picked up some
good recruits.

C-Lo's last year...he shoulda tried harder for the DePaul job...
When in doubt...Be Bold!
gtmoBlue
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball