UNI Athletics Funding

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UNI Athletics Funding

Postby valleychamp » September 18th, 2010, 12:40 pm

True. Unless their dads go and take a coaching job somewhere in the MVC, we expect them to sign...
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby WSUbballer » September 18th, 2010, 12:47 pm

valleychamp wrote:Sorry that shatters some of the shocker posters' dreams. Funny to watch certain shocker posters just flat out root against UNI.

Can you please explain both of these statements?
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LJay » September 18th, 2010, 1:20 pm

valleychamp wrote:Mind you, we just signed one of the better basketball classes we have had for '11.

I'm not trying to be an ass but by what standard are you basing this statement? You very well may turn out to be right four years from now but there is nothing on any recruiting site that would lead one to this conclusion.
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WuDrWu » September 18th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Also, technically, you haven't signed anyone yet for 2011 or else we have a big story.
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby acepurple84 » September 19th, 2010, 3:25 pm

I see many Universities demanding the NCAA drop the requirement of maintaining sports that are a major expense on the AD budget.
acepurple84
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MVCfans » September 19th, 2010, 3:55 pm

acepurple84 wrote:I see many Universities demanding the NCAA drop the requirement of maintaining sports that are a major expense on the AD budget.

Title IX is going to be the issue, in my opinion. Non-revenue sports, which includes virtually all womens collegiate sports, will have to exist to have an equal number of female athletic scholarships. Mens sports like baseball have already been decimated by a lack of scholarships - I think each school is allowed only 13 per team. I think expensive mens sports are in danger, but the female sports will be fine barring a Supreme Court battle.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby unipanther99 » September 20th, 2010, 8:06 am

LJay wrote:
valleychamp wrote:Mind you, we just signed one of the better basketball classes we have had for '11.

I'm not trying to be an ass but by what standard are you basing this statement? You very well may turn out to be right four years from now but there is nothing on any recruiting site that would lead one to this conclusion.

Obviously with 5 guys verbaled, it is a deep class. I don't know if it will turn out to be the best, but on paper at least, it would seem to be one of the better classes UNI has had in my memory. If you want to quantify it or something, I guess you could go by stars or rankings of the guys. I don't really remember a class that equals what this class has, but I could be wrong. No superstars, but a deep, quality class of guys. That's what the UNI system is built for.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby 45otseoj » September 20th, 2010, 1:45 pm

unipanther99 wrote:No superstars, but a deep, quality class of guys. That's what the UNI system is built for.

My thoughts exactly. BJ is recruiting with a systematic purpose.
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » September 20th, 2010, 3:00 pm

Seth Tuttle, a 6'8 forward in UNI's '11 class is also said to be a steal. We got a verbal out of him early on, and some say he would have gotten some big BCS offers had we waited longer. His AAU coach says he may be a better player than two of his teammates who are ranked in the top 150 nationally.

Also the PG that we received a commit from a few weeks ago, reportedly had offers from Marquette, Baylor, and possibly Arizona. He is a guy that should be able to come in and play/start immediately.

And to round out the class, we got a good shooter in Bohannon, another solid bruiser/defender in Marvin Singleton, and another slashing scoring guard in Jevon Lyle.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball